Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Anyone familiar with Wranglers?

Old 06-29-2010, 01:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Anyone familiar with Wranglers?

I'm going to check out a few TJs this weekend. Aside from common sense that should apply when looking at any used vehicle, is there anything Wrangler-specific that I should be aware of? Any common issues, failures, etc.

I'm only interested in the 4.0L straight six, stick shift, hardtop.

Advice from Wrangler gurus would be appreicated. Thanks in advance!
Old 06-29-2010, 01:40 PM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

www.jeepforums.com

Otherwise, the Wife has had both a TJ and now a JK. Overall the TJ was more reliable and only suffered from a weird gas tank issue that caused a CEL. The brakes were also a significant weak spot that really became a problem when we had 33's on the car. Other than that, they are pretty stout..
Old 06-29-2010, 04:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I prefer Levi's button fly.
Old 06-29-2010, 09:48 PM
Former Moderator

I used to have one. Great car, lots of fun, cheap to maintain, but you should be mechanically inclined to own one.

1)Don't limit yourself to TJs. YJs are basically the same.

2)When you buy one, try to get under it, and check the vacuum lines for the 4WD, if they are cracking 4WD wont work, or will go soon.

3)Check for rust under the car. If you don't see any, don't be fooled. Check for fresh paint. Many people just spray painted the rust right before a buyer came to check it out.

4)When you are going for a test drive, check out 2nd gear. Those Pugeot trannies were.....well...garbage.

5)Be prepared to own a car with a truly gutless motor, and I mean Hyundai elantra from the 90s, with 2 dead cylinders gutless.

6)Unless you are going offroading, or cruisin to the beach with 3 chicks and no doors, it's a horrible daily car.

Any questions, feel free to ask.
Old 06-30-2010, 12:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The inline-6 is the offroad engine, the four is the "I just wanna Jeep" motor. Beyond that it's irrelevant. If you want one you'll buy the one with the nicest paint and lowest miles. If you are a cheap bastard you'll buy the one with the lowest price and spend twice that trying to keep it on the road and hate the vehicle when you are done.

Don't be dumb. Buy a Jeep from the guy/girl that replaced it with another off-road toy, and ask why they're's selling. Take their comments to heart and *don't* buy the Jeep if it's a deal-breaker. People don't sell cars unless there is a service cost they feel is not justified by the current value of the vehicle. Which means any time you buy a used car you are buying someone else's money pit. A smart buyer compares what he spends in monthly payments to the one-time cost of a used car plus the guaranteed maintenance costs. The smart consumer asks the seller what needs work and judges the answer based on truthfulness as well as pure content. Quite often, to one owner a new replacement is the perfect deal, while to another buyer a slightly used example maybe needing tires today and shocks in a year or two is a huge bargain and no less desirable than new.

And the smart consumer leaves "killer deals" to other people.
Old 06-30-2010, 04:30 AM

Originally Posted by NuncoStr8,Jun 30 2010, 02:19 AM
People don't sell cars unless there is a service cost they feel is not justified by the current value of the vehicle.
Where did you get that nuggest of "wisdom" from? You'll find no shortage of folks just in this forum alone (me included) who've sold numerous good cars just b/c we wanted to upgrade or simply experience something different.
Old 06-30-2010, 06:07 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SpudRacer,Jun 29 2010, 04:39 PM
I prefer Levi's button fly.

Dang it, you got in before I did
Old 06-30-2010, 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by curiouz_G,Jun 30 2010, 10:07 AM

Old 06-30-2010, 08:24 AM

Received 234 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by curiouz_G,Jun 30 2010, 08:07 AM

Why did you want to get into Levi's button fly? And why are you unhappy about it?
Old 06-30-2010, 08:25 AM

Received 234 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by NuncoStr8,Jun 30 2010, 02:19 AM
People don't sell cars unless there is a service cost they feel is not justified by the current value of the vehicle. Which means any time you buy a used car you are buying someone else's money pit.

You should do stand-up!

Quick Reply: Anyone familiar with Wranglers?