Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Anyone familiar with Caterhams?

Old 02-09-2003, 07:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In the Uk, you can order the parts, then build it yourself in your garage!

I've been in one before with a 180bhp engine (cant remember what it was though. Its a real beast to keep a hold of the rear end when its not perfect conditions and you need to be an acrobat to get into one.

Apart from that, they are very fun cars, just not practical. On a closing note, a fly in the face at 100mph hurts like hell.
Old 02-10-2003, 01:58 AM
Banned

You can build the lotus 7 variants in all of North America on your own. It's the registration and insurance tests that are the hard bits. I'm considering an American alternative to the European ones, tho... the Stalker V6. Piccy! ^_^

I know the owner of Canam Motersports so when I decide to build one, he's said he will help me out with getting everything in working order. He owns something like 4 fully street legal kit cars and two dune buggies and is working on a competition Cobra replica.

here's the homepage of the creators:

http://www.stalkerv6.com
Old 02-10-2003, 04:16 AM

Received 39 Likes on 16 Posts

The biggest problem with Loocust, Stalker, Rotus, WCM and other "off brands" is you cannot resell them...... if you have $25k in it you will get about $10k when you try to sell. Just no market for them.

I think the "Caterhams" may hold value slightly better, but you have to be willing to be in the sale process for 6months or more until the perfect buyer comes along.

Originally posted by LordVagabond
You can build the lotus 7 variants in all of North America on your own. It's the registration and insurance tests that are the hard bits. I'm considering an American alternative to the European ones, tho... the Stalker V6. Piccy! ^_^

I know the owner of Canam Motersports so when I decide to build one, he's said he will help me out with getting everything in working order. He owns something like 4 fully street legal kit cars and two dune buggies and is working on a competition Cobra replica.

here's the homepage of the creators:

http://www.stalkerv6.com
Old 02-10-2003, 05:03 AM

why not get a Beck lister for $40k+. its the one that came in the 3rd in the C&D Tuner challenge.

Beck Lister
Old 02-10-2003, 08:30 AM

Received 234 Likes on 165 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Yell_OH
[B]I've done a little research on these cars and supposedly they hold the record for 0-100-0. Also they score 0-60 times in the low to mid 3's!!! The best thing? You can get one fully equipped for under 45K! They're all custom built too I believe. Anyway, I was wondering what you all thought on these British vehicles.
Old 08-05-2003, 06:16 PM

Its a "Lotus" that have the record mow...

Its a 4 wheel drive with 2 (!) Hayabusa engines in it...

so, in other word, the McLaren F1 is slooow.. ;0)

/smacke
Old 08-05-2003, 07:31 PM

these cars are very fast. In my opinion, hard to drive. No power steering, no ABS, no brake booster, no seat slider, weird seating position and more...... I rented one for Laguna Seca. I couldn't drive the car as fast as I thought. It drives like a formula car with very very raw feeling. Again, it is a very nice car, just that I don't know how to drive it.

Old 12-26-2006, 12:59 AM

a bump....
so... after 3 years and 1 day my F20C powered super seven at last got down from the stands and I was able to take a little testspin..

It was interesting to make the testspin but I haven
Old 12-26-2006, 08:52 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Holy thread revival!

Warren
Old 12-27-2006, 03:45 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What kit is that?

You haven't even begun to tap the performance potential of the car. I've spent more than a couple of hours behind the wheel of the Ultralite with the FC20 and it takes months to get the smile off my face when I get out.

And Stealthy S2k, you only get bare bones in a few kits, many have all the luxuries you expect in a "real" car like adjustable seats, adjustable pedals, etc.

Quick Reply: Anyone familiar with Caterhams?