Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Anyone familiar with 5th gen Preludes?

Old 06-21-2012, 08:51 AM

Received 281 Likes on 176 Posts

If you are/were looking at 12 year old Preludes, what about Integra GS-Rs from the same era? Available as a 2 or 4 door they're fun to drive and have a lot of utility. Also very reliable to boot.
Old 06-21-2012, 09:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k
If you are/were looking at 12 year old Preludes, what about Integra GS-Rs from the same era? Available as a 2 or 4 door they're fun to drive and have a lot of utility. Also very reliable to boot.
I agree a 4 door GS-R would be better for his situation but finding a clean unmolested one with reasonable mileage is damn near impossible. Funny my friend had a 5th Gen Prelude SH parked outside his house for three years with no problems until he sold it. He bought a clean original 4 door GS-R and within 1 month it was stolen.
Old 06-21-2012, 10:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a 5th gen prelude, it was a very fun car. The interior is superior to any civic/integra. The back seats are alittle cramped but I've stuffed people in there many times. The rear seat does fold down. The car is heavy (compared to civics/integra) but it's very solid and you feel safe driving at high speeds. I love the h22 motor, some people have oil consumption problems, but that's usually associated with higher mileage. If you are looking to purchase one, make sure you get it in manual, the automatics are a ticking-time-bomb.
Old 06-21-2012, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by t3am 83rd
I had a 5th gen prelude, it was a very fun car. The interior is superior to any civic/integra. The back seats are alittle cramped but I've stuffed people in there many times. The rear seat does fold down. The car is heavy (compared to civics/integra) but it's very solid and you feel safe driving at high speeds. I love the h22 motor, some people have oil consumption problems, but that's usually associated with higher mileage. If you are looking to purchase one, make sure you get it in manual, the automatics are a ticking-time-bomb.
If you had to guess whether a rear-facing seat would fit in the back with the passenger seat all the way up, what would you say?

And thanks, everyone, for the replies in this thread. Some great suggestions so far.
Old 06-21-2012, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by redwing497
Originally Posted by t3am 83rd' timestamp='1340302449' post='21800648
If you had to guess whether a rear-facing seat would fit in the back with the passenger seat all the way up, what would you say?

And thanks, everyone, for the replies in this thread. Some great suggestions so far.
i never had prelude but i sat on one before. i adjust driver seat to my height (6' tall) and driver seat was almost touching the rear seat. i would assume it will very tight fit and very uncomfortable for the driver and passenger with rear facing baby seat. i would stick with 4dr.
Old 06-21-2012, 02:38 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I fit 5 19 year olds in the back my 4th gen (don't ask). IIRC the 5th gens had more room too.

From google:

Old 06-21-2012, 04:25 PM

I have had My 1997 5th gen SH for almost 7 trouble free years now, my first car ever.

Reliability is top notch. Only things I've had to replace was the original OEM radiator, timing belt, and water pump. Bought it with 75k miles and now she's at 160k, daily driven and still on the original OEM clutch.

My only complaints are that It is a heavy coupe and the oil consumption issue. The handling is very good and the gearbox is excellent.

My advice is to avoid the type SH model because It can be a pain in the ass when you want to do your own work sometimes, it's heavier and more complicated than the base model, and power mods are restricted because of the ATTS.
Old 06-21-2012, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by s2kTony
I have had My 1997 5th gen SH for almost 7 trouble free years now, my first car ever.

Reliability is top notch. Only things I've had to replace was the original OEM radiator, timing belt, and water pump. Bought it with 75k miles and now she's at 160k, daily driven and still on the original OEM clutch.

My only complaints are that It is a heavy coupe and the oil consumption issue. The handling is very good and the gearbox is excellent.

My advice is to avoid the type SH model because It can be a pain in the ass when you want to do your own work sometimes, it's heavier and more complicated than the base model, and power mods are restricted because of the ATTS.
Thanks for the info. The car will most likely not be modded at all. Most I come across are base anyway, could be just a coincidence though. If you slide your passenger seat all the way forward, is there a decent amount of room in that back seat? Like, enough to fit a rear-facing baby seat back there?

I know, I'm being annoying asking this over and over. It's just so hard to get an answer lol
Old 06-22-2012, 11:11 AM

Received 281 Likes on 176 Posts

My dad owned a 1999 Prelude for 7 years and it was a great car. Very reliable and fun to drive. HOWEVER, he had problems with the 5th gear synchros and they were replaced twice. (both times good faith repairs from Honda). I think a rear facing child's seat would fit on the passenger side but it has been several years since I've been in one.

And why is everyone bashing on this car for being "heavy'? Yes it's not as light as an Integra but it was still under 3000lbs.
Old 06-22-2012, 11:39 AM

To answer your questions, I think a rear-facing car seat will fit in the back. Check out preludepower.com, you'll find out alot about preludes over there.

Quick Reply: Anyone familiar with 5th gen Preludes?