Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Anyone familiar with 5th gen Preludes?

Old 06-20-2012, 06:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone familiar with 5th gen Preludes?

Hey everyone. I've been contemplating getting a daily driver, or "beater" if you will, because I just don't want to take the S out every day to drive to the bus stop (I take a bus to NYC for work). Anyway, I purchased the S with the intent of having is a our 3rd car. More of like a fun car than a daily driver.

I've always absolutely loved the 5th gen Preludes and think it would be a perfect daily driver. Good motor, great looking, and sorta fun. Here's the thing, though. The wife are I are planning to start a family in the next year and basically my only concern would be fitting a newborn baby seat in the back.

I tried doing some research but can't really get a straight answer. From what I've read, though, front facing car seats (for when they get older), fit without a problem. So all good there. I wouldn't mind sliding the passenger seat all the way up to but the newborn seat back there. If we ever go on a real long trip, we have the wife's 4 door. Getting a little one in an out of a 2 door doesn't really bother me at all. I just want to make sure that damn seat will fit!

I know this is probably a tough question to answer but I figured I'd take a shot. Anything else about the 5th gens I should look out for? I think I read the H22 does have some oil consumption issues. Other than that, they seem to be pretty rock solid. Thanks guys.
Old 06-20-2012, 08:26 PM

I can't answer your specific question. I looked at a Prelude in '99. Loved the car and the old school Honda goodness. However, it wouldn't be my first choice for your needs. The trunk is small. The rear seat is small. I don't recall if the trunk folded down but I quickly passed on the car because I just couldn't see having it as my only car. Sure, in your case it won't be the only car but if it's going to be the practical car, why not go for something with at least a bit more room? The turbo Protege 5 wasn't as good a driver but was still good and has LOADS more space. A Focus SVT would be another car that would give up very little in terms of handling yet gain miles in practicality.
Old 06-21-2012, 03:19 AM

I loved mine, but the oil consumption was a bit of a pain (although I think my rings were on their way out). Couldn't answer the question about the babyseat in the back though, but it is very snug back there. I had an RSX Type-S and feel like it had more usable space in the back, not sure if that'd be an option for you? Pretty practical being a hatch, plus I never had any issues with it.
Old 06-21-2012, 04:49 AM

Thanks, guys. Well, I want something that's reliable, so naturally I'm thinking Honda. Also, I CANNOT spend a lot of money on this car so a Type-S RSX is probably out of the question. Good info to know about the back seats. I guess I wanted you guys to tell me there was plenty of room so I could go get one Anything in the 4-6k price range that would be decent? How about some old Subarus? I hear they're pretty good with reliability.
Old 06-21-2012, 05:25 AM

Given a tight budget and the wish for reliable I would pass on Honda. For a given age and mileage Hondas are good. For a given wad of cash, well Hondas have such a strong reputation that it seems many feel that a Civic with black smoke is somehow worth more than a Focus in good running order with half the mileage. Basically many cars other than Hondas should be considered. Mazdas are a personal favorite suggestion of mine. I think the Protege was every bit as good as the Civic yet doesn't have the Honda tax when buying used. The Focus is likely a good choice as well. If you get a car in good condition and check the web to see what people think are common problems before putting money down you should be OK. Also, remember that you do have the S as a backup so it's not quite so critical that the car never needs service. Part of why I don't mind having an "unreliable" beater (one that I put 7000 miles worth of cross country driving on last summer) is because I know I have two cars!
Old 06-21-2012, 05:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the backseat is way too small for you. What is your price range?
Old 06-21-2012, 05:48 AM
CG

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I just did a quick Autotrader.com search for manual tran cars between $3000 & $6000 near where I live and there are a bunch of choices out there. Several of the cars were newer with less than 75,000 miles. Not all of them would be fun to drive, but most would make very good daily beaters. It's worth a look to see what's in your area.

I'm also going to agree with Rock on the Focus and Mazda. I had an SVT Euro Focus and wish I hadn't sold it.

In fact, check out the stock Recaro's that the SVT Euro came with stock. Great seats!

Old 06-21-2012, 06:10 AM

When I check out the Proteges, should I avoid the turbocharged versions? I know I have the S but I really don't want my used daily to be a money pit either.
Old 06-21-2012, 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by redwing497
When I check out the Proteges, should I avoid the turbocharged versions? I know I have the S but I really don't want my used daily to be a money pit either.
my wife still have 99 protege (before turbo and mp3 models came out) and i freaking hate that car. i think they have absolutely no interior quality control what so ever. but it's been a pretty solid car but my wife drives only like 1000 miles a year. i would buy honda civic or toyota corolla over protege.
Old 06-21-2012, 08:44 AM

I never had a problem with my Prelude when I had it. I kept an eye on the oil, but I do that out of habit on all of my cars. It did tend to consume more than the typical daily beater, but it really wasn't bad at all. Other than that the motor is solid. The transmission is solid. I had the base model (no ATTS - Active Torque Transfer System) which I suggest you do the same. It's just one less thing to worry about breaking. They are heavy, but if this is just a beater then you don't really have to worry about making it 'quick'. I ran TEIN Flex coilovers, 17" light weight wheels, nice rubber, and Suspension Technique sway bars (Front and rear) on mine - it was a blast! I had loads of fun in that car.

The backseat I always said was useless unless you were an infant. So maybe it will work out just fine for your situation. Honestly though, I would just look into a Civic if you want a beater. You have a fun car already. Just get a car that you will drive and forget about. I am driving a '98 Civic EX Coupe Auto that I picked up for $2,000. It's not pretty, it has over 250K miles on it, but it runs like a champ! I hate driving it, but it does its job VERY well. Very cheap to maintain (I bought a set of 4 tires for $120 1.5 years ago and they still have loads of tread. Hell, I only washed it once in 12 months of ownership. Who cares? It's a beater), low on insurance, great on gas mileage, lots of room, etc. I put a head unit in it so that I could listen to music off of my iPhone and I am set. Maybe think about really dumbing it down.

Best of luck.

Quick Reply: Anyone familiar with 5th gen Preludes?