Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Anyone else scared off by M3 reliability?

Old 09-02-2004, 11:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KaiWang,Sep 2 2004, 11:13 AM
did u sell him that girl too? i wonder if shes a 3 input girl..
LOL
Old 09-02-2004, 02:04 PM

I have pictures of Tommy's m3, just so you know I aint bullcrappin....
Your friend Tommy must really hate his M3 to dump all that money into it...it looks like it's been really abused. He must have had to those pics taken the 20% of the time he's not driving his 323 loaner? BTW, on the couple of instances my car was in the shop for maintenance my loaner was an M3 vert or an X5.
Old 09-02-2004, 02:10 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mav and steve, either you are retarted (unlikely) or as so thickheaded and full of yourself, that its beyond words.

Think about the stupidity that you are spewing out....
Whatever, go buy your m3s and have fun driving a 323 80% of the time.
Anyone else see the irony?

It is clear you don't like the M3, great. Who cares, I sure don't. I don't like lots of things, but then I don't go making up bullshit to try and sell my opinion as fact.
Old 09-02-2004, 02:21 PM

Anyone else see the irony?
Do you mean that he can't spell retard or the other...LOL?
Old 09-02-2004, 03:12 PM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=derryck,Sep 2 2004, 05:04 PM]
Your friend Tommy must really hate his M3 to dump all that money into it...it looks like it's been really abused.
Old 09-02-2004, 05:34 PM
mav

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Where's your proof?

I want pics of the service area at your local BMW dealer FULL of broken BMW's, not just ones there for scheduled servicing.

One month to schedule an appointment? Who said? Your daddy's best friend's step-mother's counsin's brother's pet dog? I want proof!

Show me proof from a popular nationwide magazine claiming that BMW is always rated poorly in problems per 100 vehicles.

Where's your proof stating that all M3 owners drive a 323 80% of the time. This M3 owner has driven his M3 100% of the time.

Oh yea and the dealers do try to give the owners in for servicing a loaner car equal to their own. Example: M owners will be given an M car or better. 3 Series owners will be given an 3 Series. Etc, etc etc. Only exception are Mini owners who are usually given an 3 Series loaner.

There are 4 people at my office who own M3's (3 coupes and 1 convertible). Four for four in terms of satisfaction. One of my close friends from high school has one, he loves it. My neighbor has one, loves his. An ex-gf traded her S2000 for a new M3 convertible, shockingly no problems either. I personally know of one person who had a problem... he had an 2001 and his engine blew. BMW did give him shit at first about over-reving but they ended up fixing it under warranty.
Old 09-02-2004, 09:06 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

And steve, tell me what I am selling as a bullsh!t fact....
Among other things, the fact that BMW does not give out M cars as loaners. I've had M3's or 540's with the single exceptiion of a 3 series once.

As a result my wife loves the 5 seriesl. Damn you BMW.
Old 09-03-2004, 09:29 AM

I have never had to wait more than a couple of days to schedule a service visit for my cay and on the occassions that my loaner was an X5...it was 4.4 which is in fact V-8 powered.

[QUOTE]BMW DOES NOT LOAN ANY M CARS or ANY V8 cars. [QUOTE]

This statement is just false...no other way to put it. I generally get whatever I ask for as a loaner. Why do you insist on just making up bullshit? You have ZERO FIRST HAND EXPERIENCE but continue to argue with those that do when it's obvious you don't have a clue what the hell you're talking about. I sent a link to my service advisor at Tom Bush BMW for this thread and he found it pretty amusing.
Old 09-03-2004, 10:11 AM

BMW Beverly Hills, do not give you loaners unless your car is in for something major, something that would take more than a couple of days. When I brought my M3 in for the first recall (rods and SMG) I got a 323 as a loaner and so did my friend. Most European (Porsche, Audi, etc.) dealerships here in LA now have contracts with Rental car companies, like Enterprise, and give you buckets like Chevrolet Malibus.

Beverly Hills Porsche and Audi, Steve Taub Porsche and Audi, when he was in business, Downtown Porsche and Audi do not give out Porsche or Audis as loaners period.
Old 09-03-2004, 01:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ha, you guys are lucky. I've never even gotten a BMW as a loner! More likely a Cavalier or something. Really!

As to the 15000 miles without a problem. I put 48K on my M3 before it ever needed anything other than regular maintenance - with track days and as many autcrosses as my S2000 - and it was treated worse as I was just starting was very 'rough' with the car. That said, from about 70K to 98K it had quite a few issues. But my car was driven (regretfully) HARD.

That said, BMW's are not in my opinion, as reliable as say our S2000 - but most of the owners who use them - use them on track and in autocrosses not some goofy street race, shows or just pimping, will accept the car's 'issues' because of the way the car rewards you. I still drive mine everyday and though it feels 'old' now, i have a few places where when pushed, it's like an old dog coming to life when it sees a long departed friend. It's the M I intend to take to the track if I ever go back.

The S just sits in the garage waiting for autocrosses.

Quick Reply: Anyone else scared off by M3 reliability?