Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Anyone else scared off by M3 reliability?

Old 09-01-2004, 10:15 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mav,Sep 1 2004, 10:59 AM

6 - I happen to like the new 7, 5, 3 Series and can't wait for the new E90 M3 to arrive.
I don't like the 7 series, I don't really like the 5 series (although the M5 is quite tempting), The Z4 has to be the weirdest thing on earth, but the only BMW I really like is the 3 series (especially the M3). It's the only one I would get if I had to get a BMW.
Old 09-01-2004, 10:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=mav,Sep 1 2004, 12:59 PM]
1 - No Acura dealer here locally will service an S2000.
Old 09-01-2004, 11:37 AM

4th. No its not an exaggeration, because the security guards, managers, service guys ALL told me that they see the same people over and over. Go to E46fanatics
My grandma's cousin's unle's daughter's friend has a neighbor who knows a guy that has nothing but problems with his car...LOL. Get some first hand experience and it will lend more towards your credibility.
Old 09-01-2004, 12:50 PM

Alot of solid responses here...

At the beginning of the year, I went to the BMW dealership to buy an M3 (2004) so that I could use it as my primary vechicle. I left the dealership as I was not satisfied with the service/salesman (arrogant guy that pissed me off), so I decided to go to another the next weekend when I had more time. In the interim, my gf asked me to do more research, which I never did before, since I was always in love with the M3 and always wanted one. When I started to look around, I came across a number of sources, both good and bad. I also spoke to two 3 series owners (friends of mine- 330 and M3 (both 2003)) and they were both fairly annoyed at their "high end cars", which were both purchased new at the time and had a number of issues, some being repetitive ones. The determining factor for me was after I read Consumer Reports...which stated that for the first time in a LONG time, they would not recommend the 3 series because of the reliability issues it had (they seemed somewhat disappointed as they realize the car has been a winner for quite some time). I chose not to purchase the car.

The M3 is a great car and a number of owners will bow down to it's greatness. I can certainly understand why, but for me, it isn't the right choice for now.

For those discussing costs, here's a thought...If you buy a 100k car and you spend 5k to resolve issues, that isn't really any different than a civic owner spending 1k to fix their's, right? Money...it's all relative.
Old 09-01-2004, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by gemusan,Sep 1 2004, 04:00 AM
I've had my M3 for almost 2 years and no major problem so far. The only time I took my car in for service was b/c the window's out of alignment and made noise when the car moved.

The owners who never have a problem, like myself, doesn't tell others our lack of problem with similar zeal.
Not to be annoying, but the latest service announcement:

BMW SERVICE ACTION ON M3 S54 ENGINES
Old 09-01-2004, 06:37 PM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=derryck,Sep 1 2004, 02:37 PM]
My grandma's cousin's unle's daughter's friend has a neighbor who knows a guy that has nothing but problems with his car...LOL.
Old 09-01-2004, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by NFRs2000NYC,Sep 1 2004, 08:37 PM
2004 BMW M3 $65,000
Owner making fun of friend with honda, .02
Honda owner (me) laughing my a$$ of because the BMW friend has been to the dealership 19! times, PRICELESS!

M3 owner saying his car has never had a problem. $0.02
Letting him know that his car is on the new service advisory (2 days minimum in shop and redo 1200 mile break-in) --> PRICELESS.

(Sorry, gemusan, I couldn't resist).
Old 09-01-2004, 08:58 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You think I want a 70 thousand dollar car that has to be at the dealership for ANYTHING but an oil change???

If you people enjoy going to the dealer for stupid crap every 1500 miles, be my guest, I for one, will stick to my s2000.
Funny you should mention that. While I don't expect to go to the dealer for anything other than an oil change for any car regardless of price I did in fact hand over my S2000 to two dealers for over a week within the first 8,000 miles for two issues that never should have occured; most notably the TSB54 issue -- an issue I might add Honda decided to address with a TSB despite my belief that it should have been a recall. Shady.

Again, I see a lot of attacks on German cars from folks here who have never owned them (yet oddly have lots of friends, uncles, parents, friends of uncles etc who have). I see a lot of actual german car owners, myself included who have not had these issues.

To be clear, I put zero value in the opinions of folks who are willing to go out of their way to invalidate actual statistics with silly excuses and use Internet and anecdotal evidence as fact. Saying you don't like a certain car for various reasons can be an opinion, and as such it is valid. Making up data to support your opinion crosses the line.
Old 09-02-2004, 12:46 AM

This is truly comedy.

All cars have problems some more some less.

I have owned several cars in the past and here is a summary of what happened with them.

99 P Boxster: A month after I bought it the engine light kept coming on. I brought it and it was low on coolant. Happened 2 more times and the 3rd time, I was informed that the engine had to be replaced to the coolant leaking into the engine. I was giving a POS chevy to drive around for the 3 weeks that my car was in service. I raised so much hell with the dealer and PNA, that by the time this ordeal was done I got a $4500 P bicycle for free.

98 NSX: Absolutely loved this car. Bought everything I could get for this car, excluding the supercharger, from Comptech and had the dealer install it. Everything was still under warranty. I tracked this car several times and not one issue.

99 MB E430 Sport: Traded the P Boxster in to get this. Sold in 6 months because, quite frankly, it was extremely boring to drive. Had electrical issues with is but were fixed by dealer. Much better dealer experience than Porsche.

00 P 996 Cab: Sold NSX and bought this. After four months of ownership the car was misfiring cylinder 4. Brought it in 2 times to the dealer I bought it from and after the second time they told me they couldn't figure out what was wrong with it and I should go to the Beverly Hills Porsche Service. There again they couldn't figure it out because the car was not sputtering when they test drove it around. Asked me to leave the car overnight and have the service manager take it home and see what was going on. After 3 days I got my car back and it was fixed.
BTW, I wanted to get some suspension because I had some 18" BBS LMs on it and was told it would not be under warranty, not even the Porsche OEM sports springs.

00 Audi S4: too many problems to list

02 BMW M3: After I picked up the car I noticed that the rear bumper was not aligned with the back of the car. Left it in service and they could not fix it. It came like that from the factory!!!
One day after leaving my doctor's office I could not start the car because it was stuck in second gear. Two recalls done and numerous other annoying problems, like glove box getting stuck, SMG paddle not working properly, sun roof rattling, etc etc.

Porsche had major issues with the water cooled engines.
BMW had problems with M5 and M3 engines blowing up when they first came out, apparently M3 still have problems
Everybody knows about Audis
MB have not been build in the same quality as they used to be
Range Rover nothing but headaches in fact mostly all British cars are not worth the asking price
Ferraris no different then Fiats

It's true that driving a European car (Porsche&BMW) give you a different feel. Much more connected and better at high speeds, but it comes with a price. Not just monetary but also the waste of time spent at the dealer. I for one work hard and run a pretty successful company so I feel if I am paying that much money for a car it should be reliable to an extent.
Japanese cars are more reliable, hands down, but there are only a few cars that will give you the same feel as the Europeans do.

I for one would not buy another European car as my daily driver, but as a weekend toy it's a different story.

Sorry for the long post and grammer. It's way past my bed time.

Old 09-02-2004, 05:33 AM

I am friends with a LOT of e46fanatics in the tri-state area),
Ask most ADULT BMW owners, especially those that own M3's, how they feel about e46fanatics. Most will tell you they stay away from there because for the most part it's a bunch of immatures kids spouting crap. Never the less it doesn't change the FACT that I"m speaking from first hand experience and you're spouting hear say.

In addition to which I give BMW a great deal of credit for stepping up to the plate and replacing the POSSIBLY affected engine components. My car is driven HARD daily and runs flawlessly with 30K miles on it. I'm a little dissappointed I have to endure the 1,200 mile break-in period again.

Quick Reply: Anyone else scared off by M3 reliability?