Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Anyone else scared off by M3 reliability?

Old 08-30-2004, 09:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone else scared off by M3 reliability?

I think the M3 (S54) is one of the most versatile automobiles currently available. Fast, handles well, useable back seat that folds down for more trunk space. Not outrageously priced, beautifully aggressive without being over-the-top and in-your-face.

BUT...

I'm terrified of buying a used one.

Reports of battery failing.
Car not starting.
Numerous engine blow-ups.
Dozens of people with <8000 miles getting stranded roadside for malfunctions.
Previous recall of 2001-early 2002 engines for oil pan something.

AND NOW... an AUGUST SERVICE ADVISORY THAT AFFECTS 20,000 M3s FROM 2001-MAY 2003.

Holy shnoggies!

M3forum is abuzz with the information. Apparently the rod bearings can't take the redline and self-destruct over time leading to "premature failure." It took years before BMW would even admit to a problem... they chalked it up to poor manual drivers... until the SMGs starting failing as well.

I love the car and would buy one in a heartbeat if it had better reliability.

Do you think they've finally figured out all the gremlins? After the 20,000 M3s are repaired in the future, of course.

I think it's silly to be stranded by the side of the road next to your $50,000 BMW when 15 year old Camrys are cruising by....

Old 08-30-2004, 09:31 PM

wow that sux
Old 08-30-2004, 09:35 PM

wait dont tell me that........oh well i hope porche have better luck
Old 08-30-2004, 09:43 PM

Porsche 996 = REAR MAIN SEAL.

Old 08-30-2004, 10:25 PM

wait dont tell me that either..........Oh well just keep my S
Old 08-30-2004, 10:30 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not sure what's going on with BMW reliability since the mid-late 90s. The old straight sixes and the 80s-early 90s 3 series seem to be indestructable, but the newish ones are expensive to fix and either nickel and dime you to death (window motors, electrical seats stop functioning, window seal leaks, charging system issues, radiator probs, motor mounts, etc.) or blow your bank account in one oily swoop (coworker had his M3 idling in his garage when his engine decided it had had enough. A week after a rebuild the alternator went. After that the radiator went. having had enough he traded it in for a certified 5 series that has since drained what was left of his bank account--Radiator again, motor mounts, transmission). He's considering selling it for less than he still owes if anyone's interested.

Some used M3s are going for the lower teens--which I'd have to say is tempting considering how well the cars perform, but damn, if you buy one you'd better hope you're one lucky bastard.
Old 08-31-2004, 03:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's a link to the M3 TSB entitled:
Service Action: E46 M3 S54 Connecting Rod Bearing Replacement
http://members.roadfly.org/bmw_e46_m...ins/110404.pdf

It makes me jealous. I am worried that the F20C has a similarly serious problem that Honda has not addressed with such an upgrade program.
Old 08-31-2004, 04:06 AM
rai

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

My friend has a M3 and I believe it's powertrain warranty has been extended to 10years 100K miles. So maybe that's a little extra comfort.

However Id be extra careful to keep the service up to date and def at a BMW dealer and I have no doubt that's not cheap.

His car had a major engine recall done on it and was in the shop for 3 weeks. But good thing for him they gave him a Z4 for a loaner car.

I owned a Z3 and had nothing but trouble with it. The service I got was horrible. From then on I've always been down on BMW.
Old 08-31-2004, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by Ckcrigger,Aug 30 2004, 09:22 PM
I think the M3 (S54) is one of the most versatile automobiles currently available. Fast, handles well, useable back seat that folds down for more trunk space. Not outrageously priced, beautifully aggressive without being over-the-top and in-your-face.

BUT...

I'm terrified of buying a used one.

Reports of battery failing.
Car not starting.
Numerous engine blow-ups.
Dozens of people with <8000 miles getting stranded roadside for malfunctions.
Previous recall of 2001-early 2002 engines for oil pan something.

AND NOW... an AUGUST SERVICE ADVISORY THAT AFFECTS 20,000 M3s FROM 2001-MAY 2003.

Holy shnoggies!

M3forum is abuzz with the information. Apparently the rod bearings can't take the redline and self-destruct over time leading to "premature failure." It took years before BMW would even admit to a problem... they chalked it up to poor manual drivers... until the SMGs starting failing as well.

I love the car and would buy one in a heartbeat if it had better reliability.

Do you think they've finally figured out all the gremlins? After the 20,000 M3s are repaired in the future, of course.

I think it's silly to be stranded by the side of the road next to your $50,000 BMW when 15 year old Camrys are cruising by....
I feel the same way. In fact, I'd have an M3 in my garage right now if it wasn't for reliability worries.
Old 08-31-2004, 09:35 AM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ckcrigger,Aug 31 2004, 12:22 AM
Nope, never will either. I dont know much about old german cars (although they are better in the running department) new German cars will NEVER be on a Lexus level or reliability. My father looked at Benzes, BMWs, Audis dozens of times, and each time, he goes for the Acura/Lexus because he doesnt want to spend time at the dealership every week.

Quick Reply: Anyone else scared off by M3 reliability?