Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Anyone Driven The New Murano?

Old 06-16-2003, 02:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone Driven The New Murano?

If you have, I would be interested in your comments & thoughts.
Old 06-16-2003, 02:59 PM

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Yeah, I have.

I usually hate trucks / SUVs, but I was pleasantly surprised with this one. Not nearly as much body roll and understeer as I was expecting. Power seemed good, but it wasn't broken in yet so I didn't get into it. Lots of neat electronic toys, and was comfortable. I didn't get a good sense of how much cargo space it has.
Old 06-16-2003, 03:17 PM

It sure looks sweet! I wonder how it would do in the sand in the AWD mode? I need a vehicle that I can take to the beach for a little fall surf fishing.
Old 06-17-2003, 06:52 AM
pfb

Drove one when they first came out. Liked the CVT. Funky and cool, but no desire to own one.
Old 09-30-2003, 03:25 PM

Looks like I'm about to make a move on one of these for the wife. On the balance, I think it's the way to go. It drives about the same as the Altima stablemate although at nearly 4000 lbs it doesn't exactly fly out of the gate.

We don't plan on EVER going off road with it and aren't lying to ourselves that we would use the 4WD so it's gonna be a 2WD for us.

Cosidered the Pilot but I don't want 3 row seating. Jeez, we're not that big a family! Also looked at the Tourareg, and no doubt it would do well off road. But, do people really take 50 Grand SUV's on jeep trails? I mean, sure it can clear the rocks but it's gonna cost a bundle to repair the HIDs when they crack etc.

I gotta explain to the wife, of course, that I need to get an aftermarket plenum for the VQ35 LOL.
Old 09-30-2003, 07:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've driven Sondra's Murano, and I dig it!
Old 09-30-2003, 07:35 PM
pfb

Murano is a nice car-based road SUV mini-van alternative.

Innovative transmission, great engine, "interesting" styling, drives well. The Touareg is my current favorite truck-based SUV. It's the real deal and has real off-road capabilities, very solid (and heavy). V6 models can be had for mid $30's.

I understand the Murano is further improving the CVT with some new shift programs for '04, might consider waiting unless you get a screaming good deal on a current model.
Old 09-30-2003, 10:32 PM

I guess it's alright. I didn't drive one but my parents are buying one so I decided to take a look at it while they shopped. From what I can tell the leather is fake, the gauges are kind of cheap looking, and the materials don't seem so nice. The aluminum center console doors to the coin trays felt extremely flimsy and they did not line up flush with the rest of the center console which really bothered me. With that said, the SUV is nicely styled and is pretty good for what it is and what it cost. Now I have to tell you when I left the dealership in my RX330 I sure could tell where the extra $8K in my RX went to and I still feel it's a bargain when compared to how much more comfort you get than a Murano. Overall I would check out the new highlander with the 3.3L. Sure it doesn't have the style, but if it's anything like my RX330 it will be built better.

Sam
Old 10-01-2003, 02:24 AM

Originally posted by Chipster
It sure looks sweet! I wonder how it would do in the sand in the AWD mode? I need a vehicle that I can take to the beach for a little fall surf fishing.

most awd systems can handle sand just fine. the important thing is having the proper tires on the vehicle. put it this way, replacing the tires on a hummer with street tires will not make the thing go very far in the sand...
Old 10-01-2003, 02:31 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by BPUKiller
I guess it's alright.

Quick Reply: Anyone Driven The New Murano?