Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Anybobdy own/owned an IS350?

Old 08-21-2008, 10:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anybobdy own/owned an IS350?

Thinking about maybe picking up a CPO IS350 down the road. Seems like a great car other than being an Auto. That said..driven stick all my life would I be bored in an auto? I just ditched my 335 and want another sport sedan, I am spoiled with Japanese reliability and would like to stay there. Wifey might be a little more willing to do it since she could drive it..
Old 08-21-2008, 10:20 AM

If you got bored in a 335, I'd say you'd be more bored in the IS350. I drive my brother's pretty extensively, and it's a pretty detached driving experience.

Good power from the V6, smooth car overall, nice front seats, etc. But kinda isolated overall vs. some of the competitors.
Old 08-21-2008, 10:25 AM

get an ISF - auto for the wife, and not boring
Old 08-21-2008, 10:48 AM

Had an IS350-

VERY small back seats as in if you need to put a car seat back there and actually put a kid in it- good luck!

VERY boring to drive- yeah its quick in a straight line- but it is very detached driving experience-

G35 Sport FTW

But with GM employee pricing- you should definitely look at the G8 GT-
I have driven one and they are definitley nice cars-

I would buy the G8 before the IS350-
Old 08-21-2008, 11:03 AM

I'm on my 2nd IS350. Bought for different reasons. The first one was bought because I thought I wanted to consolidate my S and my DD. I felt detached and ended up buying another S. The second and current car was bought because I was just ready to give up the S and have a comfortable "sporty" luxury car.

If you had a 335 and were bored the IS is not for you. The IS is all about luxury sport. The interior is amazing, the navi is awesome, mark levinson sounds wonderful. The engine is quick no doubt. But the handling leaves you wanting much more. But I'm ok with that. I enjoy nice quiet drives home now, and my back thanks me every day.

I test drove the G8 GT prior to picking up the 2nd IS and while it was fast, and handled VERY WELL for a pontiac. Almost dare I say European?? It just had a shoddy interior and a crap list of features. No bluetooth??(although I think they are adding this in the 09 models). Also didn't like the gas mileage of the v8. The engine was great though, I'll give it that.

The g35 definiltey has some nice aspects going for it, but I personally didn't like the styling all that much. (g37 coupe is a different story).

However, I drive my IS everyday knowing I will (hopefully) hold on to this car for a long time and not worry about spending boat loads on maintenance. Its the perfect car to hold onto for the long haul (at least for me). It offers up nice torque and acceleration, but isn't going to drive as nice as a 335 in the twisties. But the interior and fit and finish are what a lexus is all about. I hate the interior of the 335, and don't fancy the exterior all that much either.

The steering is also a bit numb on the IS, although they have tweaked it in the newer versions to feel a bit more "connected" and have to say it is a noticeable difference that makes me want an 08 vs my 06...

Everyone buys cars for different reasons. You just need to figure out what you want out of the next car.
Old 08-21-2008, 11:35 AM

Thanks so far for the responses! I wasn't bored with the 335..but at this point in my life I can still try out other cars that I like, so I do. I don't want to keep cars for 5+ yrs..I'll try em for 2 yrs and get rid of them. Did a 2 yrs lease on the 335..loved it.
Old 08-21-2008, 11:44 AM

What about an IS250 with a 6sp manual and sport package? I think it might be too slow..?
Old 08-21-2008, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by mmm def,Aug 21 2008, 12:44 PM
What about an IS250 with a 6sp manual and sport package? I think it might be too slow..?
No offense to any IS250 owners. But the IS250 is slow as balls. The 6 spd tranny in the IS250 is also crap. Notchy and NOT lexus smooth at all. There is a huge difference in driving feel of the engine in the 250 vs 350.
Old 08-21-2008, 01:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I own an IS250 and I agree with you.

To the OP I would suggest an Infiniti G37, if you have the $$$ you know the IS-F is really what you are looking for, very fun car although it lacks the clutch.
Old 08-21-2008, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by Diablo99V,Aug 21 2008, 02:47 PM
you know the IS-F is really what you are looking for, very fun car although it lacks the clutch.
I'd agree with this statement! Especially if you are thinking about leasing. Shouldn't make a big difference. I'd love an ISF, but for me the IS350 suits me just fine. Just wish I had the suspension and the transmission of the ISF.

Quick Reply: Anybobdy own/owned an IS350?