Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Any reason not to get a C6 Vette?

Old 03-29-2006, 07:27 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Scot,Mar 29 2006, 07:45 AM
As soon as my local dealer agrees to my GM Supplier pricing I think I will go ahead and order the C6.
My son just walked into the dealership closest to his house and they immediately agreed to an order using the supplier discount. I know they don't make much on a sale like that but I don't understand why there would be any hesitation if no one is waiting to buy.. it is usually the choice between moving a unit or not.
Old 03-29-2006, 07:37 AM

Received 39 Likes on 16 Posts

The one dealer flat out said "we NEVER do that for corvettes"... that is even the place where i bought a chevy truck brand new from them.

The 2nd place said they have 1 allocation and he was going to fight to get it for me. I could see if they had people lined up, but they don't. Dealers are sometimes too greedy I guess.

I personally would rather take the guaranteed $ than hope that someone may come in down the road to make a few $ more off of....

we'll see...
Old 03-29-2006, 07:47 AM

Received 427 Likes on 238 Posts

I bought my C5 from an out-of-state dealer and did the R8C option code, which is museum delivery in Bowling Green, KY. My dad and I drove the car back to DFW in one, long drive. It was an incredible experience with the plant tour, museum tour, seeing my Vette for the first time gleaming in the middle of the museum, and then getting to drive it home. WELL worth it!!
Old 03-29-2006, 02:54 PM
WPS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i like that you cant get door dings. but what happens if the panel cracks. it gets replaced and sprayed to blend with the other panels? always curious

i felt like the c6 was very comfortable and almost didnt feel fast but i know its way faster than the s2k. i was surprised on how refined it was. the brakes were incredible.
Old 03-29-2006, 03:58 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by WPS,Mar 29 2006, 05:54 PM
but what happens if the panel cracks.
What do you mean? Vettes have composite body panels, they don't crack as far as I know.
Old 03-30-2006, 04:29 AM

Received 427 Likes on 238 Posts

A panel can crack if it's hit with a very high degree of force. In that case, it needs to be replaced. The panel do not ding, but they can crack. However, someone would have to take an armored car door and swing it as hard as they can to actually crack the panel in a door lot 'ding.'

Now, the paint can chip a bit more easily in a pretty hard door ding, but that is easily fixed.
Old 03-30-2006, 04:59 AM
WPS

Originally Posted by cdelena,Mar 29 2006, 07:58 PM
What do you mean? Vettes have composite body panels, they don't crack as far as I know.
just mean any kind of accident. i saw a saturn(might be different material) with a cracked door and was curious
Old 03-30-2006, 08:15 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Scot,

Exterior - Absolutely BAD A.S!!!! This car looks like a supercar!

Interior - The fit and finish is much improved when compared to the previous C5. The HUD is cool but can be a little disorienting. The seats are plush and great for long distance travel. They dont hold as well as the Evo or S2k seats. Good visibility in front and mediocre in back.

Ride - The handling was pretty sharp, although not as tossable as the s2000 or evo at low speeds, the limits are just as high. It may be a perceptual thing..the steering ratio seems to be quicker in the evo and s2000. The magnetic suspension is a dream. It really tightens up the car when set to the more aggressive setting. On the touring setting the car soaks up the bumps with ease! I would love to have this option in the s2000! You could travel 2000 miles easily and not be tired! There is much less road/wind noise (I drove the convertible) with the top up than the s2000. For some reason I felt extremely isolated from the road. This is def more of a touring car than the S.

Acceleration - There is gobs and gobs of torque at every rpm. One thing that struck me was the first time I released the clutch (no gas). The car literally jumped forward.

Braking - Did not have a chance to really test them.

Overall, I liked the car. Would I spend 50-60K for it (the car I drove was loaded with every option) ? Hell no. I may consider a stripped down 40K version though. I feel like I would have to push the car extremely hard to get the same level of fun out of the s2000. I am slightly prejudiced, I do have an evo that will out accelerate the C6...so i wasnt that impressed by it's straight line capabilities. My opinion, save for another year or two and get the Z06 (this will give GM the time to work out any potential bugs).

Bobby
Old 03-31-2006, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by HwangTKD,Mar 31 2006, 12:15 AM
I am slightly prejudiced, I do have an evo that will out accelerate the C6...so i wasnt that impressed by it's straight line capabilities.
How much whp/wtq is your EVO making?
Old 03-31-2006, 05:22 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

He edited it -- and I'm guessing I know why.

Quick Reply: Any reason not to get a C6 Vette?