Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Any reason not to get a C6 Vette?

Old 03-28-2006, 01:44 PM

Received 427 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by cdelena,Mar 28 2006, 12:08 PM
Huh? Of course it is all in your head! What you are is not what you drive unless you decide it is.
No kidding! I could care less what a car says to others if it's fun for me and fits my priorities. When I had my Vette, all I cared about was performance, sound, and fun.

That's kind of sad that a statement of your self worth is tied to a car.
Old 03-28-2006, 02:21 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by QUIKAG,Mar 28 2006, 05:44 PM
No kidding! I could care less what a car says to others if it's fun for me and fits my priorities. When I had my Vette, all I cared about was performance, sound, and fun.

That's kind of sad that a statement of your self worth is tied to a car.
I think you are kidding yourself- why do you think companies spend billions on design and market research. Most people think they are unaffected by advertising........yeah sure

In America at least most peoples self worth is tied up in brands and image. I am just admitting it.
Having said that I still think the C6 is a sweet car
Old 03-28-2006, 03:11 PM

Received 427 Likes on 238 Posts

While I may agree that a lot of Americans do attach some of their self-worth to their amount of material possessions, it's still not right.

It's a recipe for disaster and beyond the scope of discussion for a car board.
Old 03-28-2006, 04:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cshamash,Mar 28 2006, 08:19 AM
I seriously considered the C6 but could not get over the hairy chest ex military owner republican profile. I really wanted to buy one but kept seeing 65 year old guys in white shorts driving them.

It is definitely a nice well made car however and very, if not too, fast (sometimes its preferable to drive a slower car fast)

The car makes a statement which imho is a little cheesy and that is why, after 2 test drives, I didn't go for it. The S2000 seems a little bit less obnoxious. I guess I am just not a vette guy.
On the other hand the z06 is a different story but the permanent hardtop killed it for me.
Part of me understands how you feel - I had somewhat of the same thoughts before buying my C6. Hell, I'm the complete opposite of a "typical" Corvette owner. I'm 27 and Asian. Trust me, you rarely see any Corvette owners like me in our town. At first, I didn't think the car "fit" me either............until I saw the car in person, I knew I had to have it - regardless of what people thought. I was buying the car for myself; not for anyone else.

I have to admit though, you probably won't catch me at any of our local Corvette club gatherings. When I owned the S2000, I took care of our local S2000 website and had a lot of meets with the locals. You definitely get much more diversity with the S2000 group.
Old 03-28-2006, 04:18 PM

Scot, if you haven't seen this yet - check out this video review of the C6 from Top Gear:

http://www.dgtalpimp.com/top_gear_corvette_hi.wmv

Not the most "accurate" review, but it gives you something to go off of. Their comments about the clutch and shifter are way off in my opinion. The clutch in the C6 is very light and the shifter is not that bad. It's not S2000 good, but still pretty good. I've owned an Evo and a 350Z in the past and the shifter in the C6 is better IMO.
Old 03-28-2006, 04:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Having just come from a C6 z51 6 speed I can say the Vette shifter is not even close to the incredible feel of my new 06' s2k nor is the quickness of the steering.It doesn't need to be because you don't need to shift nearly as much in the Vette since its got so much torque and steering that quick could be trouble at 0-60 in less than 4 seconds.Its way better than a Mustang SVT but you won't be flipping thru the gears with the pleasure of the s2k or carving corners with the slightest twist of the wheel.On the other side of the coin the s2k can't even remotely come close to the increddible acceleration and ,even more so throttle response of my modded Vette.Facts are these are two totally different rides both have their strong points both have their weakness and both are truly great sport cars.Wish I could afford both.The S2k is way more fun driving thru the twisty mountain roads where I live but once your on the highway the Vette can't be beat.Oh well as the saying goes,"So many great cars ...so little money".
Old 03-28-2006, 06:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love the looks of the Vette.

My comments are the Vette does not have the direct feel and connectivity the S2000 has. In the Vette, I felt insulated from the driving experience going on around me. As as result, you have to drive the Vette faster and harder to get the same exhilaration I get in the S2000 at lower speeds. The effortless acceleration would get me into trouble, as my 2003 Cobra Mustang did.

Of your list, I would suggest the NSX or new S2000.
Old 03-29-2006, 04:38 AM

Received 39 Likes on 16 Posts

The people that i see who try to impress people with their "stuff" are almost always idiots from the city who have next to nothing, but have the best cell phone with the latest Ring Tone, etc.......

I wear my G-UNIT big puffy jacket, size 42 pants that show off my underwear and have my gold "grills" in my mouth. I am all about image. My Cell phone bill is over $200 a month, but I live in a $15k row home to save $. My first priority is to impress my friends with my shizzle...

Originally Posted by cshamash,Mar 28 2006, 06:21 PM
In America at least most peoples self worth is tied up in brands and image. I am just admitting it.
Having said that I still think the C6 is a sweet car

Back on Topic - I personally just look for cars that go fast for a decent price. I have had a few S2000's, an Evo and a couple of Cobra's...... If I was all about image, I guess I would have an Escalade with some twenty fo's on it....?

Ideally a Z06 would be the best car, but I am way too cheap to spend $70k for one.
Old 03-29-2006, 04:45 AM

Received 39 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by MrClean,Mar 28 2006, 10:14 PM
Of your list, I would suggest the NSX or new S2000.
The NSX would be a good choice if i could find one for a decent deal. I don't want anything older than a 2002 (fixed headlights) and it seems people think they are worth their weight in gold. Acura won't let me take over anyone's lease due to their goofy rules.......

I just don't think any S2000 would do it for me as a daily car....(i am on the search for one for a track only car that I can strip and eventually turn into another race car though). Full throttle acceleration is way more fun to me.....

As soon as my local dealer agrees to my GM Supplier pricing I think I will go ahead and order the C6.
Old 03-29-2006, 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by ConeKiller,Mar 28 2006, 05:13 PM
Part of me understands how you feel - I had somewhat of the same thoughts before buying my C6. Hell, I'm the complete opposite of a "typical" Corvette owner. I'm 27 and Asian. Trust me, you rarely see any Corvette owners like me in our town. At first, I didn't think the car "fit" me either............until I saw the car in person, I knew I had to have it - regardless of what people thought. I was buying the car for myself; not for anyone else.

I have to admit though, you probably won't catch me at any of our local Corvette club gatherings. When I owned the S2000, I took care of our local S2000 website and had a lot of meets with the locals. You definitely get much more diversity with the S2000 group.
Whoa another Asian Vette owner!

I'm a touch younger than you, and as asian as you get (pretty FOB/nerdy).

When I got the Z06, all my buddies were like, you should modded your MK III Supra instead... fools.

Quick Reply: Any reason not to get a C6 Vette?