Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Any reason not to get a C6 Vette?

Old 03-25-2006, 02:59 AM

Received 427 Likes on 238 Posts

$2k off at Kerbeck can be beat easily. If you can get supplier pricing, go for it. My buddy got his Z51 C6 BASE six-speed for a touch under $40k after it was all said and done. Actually, it might have been a few hundred above $40k.

He got a bare bones, special ordered C6 with six-speed and Z51 package. That's it. It's an awesome car and arguably the fastest non-Z06 C6 as it's the lightest (no extra goodies in the interior).

Though bare bones for the C6 means, dual zone climate control, power everything, decent radio, leather interior, etc. Only things I'd really miss is the HUD and side airbags (for safety) by not going with a higher option package.
Old 03-25-2006, 03:36 AM

Received 39 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Fanman,Mar 25 2006, 12:27 AM
Is there a particular reason why you are getting rid of your 03' Cobra ? Are you planning to autocross more often ? For $1000 you can add parts that will make you more than competitive against the C6 in a straightline & everyday driving and not have to make the $600/month payments.
There are 2 big reasons......

the first is that i don't have a car that i can take to the track... a c6 would be perfect and fast.... no rollbar in the mustang, so it is not allowed.

The other reason is the mustang will be out of warranty in about 2 more months.... i just don't like having cars that aren't warrantied

I keep thinking i could keep the mustang and just buy a used S2000 for the track and I would have the same $ tied up, but..... i like the short throw, the lighter weight, etc... of the C6 as a daily driver vs my 3800lb piggy....
Old 03-25-2006, 05:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The C6 Z51 6speed( actually the 6 speed auto has been doing great at the track) would be a perfect choice as a daily driver/take it to the track on weekends car.The only reason I sold mine is I only use it to drive around the mountains(stress relief)since I work at home and needed the extra money for a college fund for my daughter. .Amazingly enough your insurance will be much lower with the Vette.When I got this 06' s2000 my insurance went up 300.00 a year.The s2000 fits my needs for right for now plus I was able to put 15k away but it wouldn't be my choice if I needed a daily driver.
Old 03-27-2006, 11:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If i could have afforded to spend an extra 10g's i would have bought one in a heart beat. I loved the c5 z06 and love the new c6's, they are stunning, especially in le mans blue with tan interior!

If i manage not to sell the s2k for a c6 z06 in 2 years i will have one in 5.
Old 03-28-2006, 01:10 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Scot,Mar 23 2006, 01:45 PM
I am not sure what it is, but cars that have a trap speed of about 100mph just aren't that exciting to me..... probably due to owning 4 S2000's, the Evo and 3 typhoon's which are all about the same 100mph......

My last cobra trapped at 116mph..... that is way way way faster than an S2000...

I just like that feel..... but I am not all that pleased with mustangs...... i am way too cheap to spend $75k on a C6 Z06........

I just need to shop around until i find the right C6 now..... black/black with no options other than Z51...hopefully for right around $40k....

I may buy some gold neclaces to try to fit in with the Corvette crowd...
Its sad but I agree. Hell, nowadays my S2000 feels too slow to me even for a daily driver. I dunno what the hell is wrong with me.

Ive been thinking of trading it for a S4/M3/CTS-V. If I had more free time, I would have probably done it by now.
Old 03-28-2006, 01:10 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rai,Mar 23 2006, 01:56 PM
I don't mean to say the C6 is that bad. There have been both good and bad reviews.

All seem to say that it's power per dollar is good. It's the other things: interior, at the limits handling, shifter, steering feel etc. that is where you pay for the low price.
have u ever driven one?
Old 03-28-2006, 07:19 AM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I seriously considered the C6 but could not get over the hairy chest ex military owner republican profile. I really wanted to buy one but kept seeing 65 year old guys in white shorts driving them.

It is definitely a nice well made car however and very, if not too, fast (sometimes its preferable to drive a slower car fast)

The car makes a statement which imho is a little cheesy and that is why, after 2 test drives, I didn't go for it. The S2000 seems a little bit less obnoxious. I guess I am just not a vette guy.
On the other hand the z06 is a different story but the permanent hardtop killed it for me.
Old 03-28-2006, 10:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cshamash,Mar 28 2006, 10:19 AM
I seriously considered the C6 but could not get over the hairy chest ex military owner republican profile. I really wanted to buy one but kept seeing 65 year old guys in white shorts driving them.

It is definitely a nice well made car however and very, if not too, fast (sometimes its preferable to drive a slower car fast)

The car makes a statement which imho is a little cheesy and that is why, after 2 test drives, I didn't go for it. The S2000 seems a little bit less obnoxious. I guess I am just not a vette guy.
On the other hand the z06 is a different story but the permanent hardtop killed it for me.
Really funny that you'd let your perception of a Corvette owner put you off if you wanted one. A cheesy statement? Good performance, decent price, nice looking.

You'll probably see some old guys in white shorts driving Z06s, too. Don't tell anyone, but I saw an old guy driving an S2k the other day. I admit I didn't work too hard to get a look at his shorts.
Old 03-28-2006, 11:04 AM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Slithr,Mar 28 2006, 02:37 PM
Really funny that you'd let your perception of a Corvette owner put you off if you wanted one. A cheesy statement? Good performance, decent price, nice looking.

You'll probably see some old guys in white shorts driving Z06s, too. Don't tell anyone, but I saw an old guy driving an S2k the other day. I admit I didn't work too hard to get a look at his shorts.
A cars image is important to me. I am just being honest. I saw an old guy in a black s2000 but he looked pretty cool to me. There is just something about the vette. Maybe its the chevy thing. Maybe I am crazy....... who knows. But its my real reason for not getting a vette.

I test drove the new stang too and apart from the steering was very impressed. But again the image thing put me off. To me a 911, which I had, is a little pretentious. A beautiful car but a bit of a poseur. Maybe I should just concentrate on 0-60 times but image is important to me. The S2000 has a nice classic feel for me like an Alfa Romeo Spyder. I am not embarrassed or self conscious driving it.

Just a taste thing but I think a very valid criteria for choosing a car.
Old 03-28-2006, 11:08 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by cshamash,Mar 28 2006, 02:04 PM
Maybe I am crazy....... who knows. But its my real reason for not getting a vette.
Huh? Of course it is all in your head! What you are is not what you drive unless you decide it is.

Quick Reply: Any reason not to get a C6 Vette?