Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Any reason not to get a C6 Vette?

Old 08-09-2006, 09:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by exb00st,Aug 9 2006, 10:50 AM
First they tried to buy him off with some f#cking oil changes.. what does that have to do with a piece of the body flying off the car at high speeds and decapitating a pedestrian?!
Interesting story. When/where was this pedestrian decapitated?
Old 08-09-2006, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by candyass,Aug 9 2006, 09:36 AM
That is pretty bad, just remember there are horrible dealers everywhere with all car makes. Honda included.
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=411361

Supposedly Chevy has developed a new roof for the 2007 models and all previous models will be replaced with the new design. I live in TX have 18000 miles on my car and my roof has been fine. With 70,000 C6 on the road already and only about 200 reported failures, I think it is pretty minor. There is still no excuse for it but, it is not like everybodys roof is flying off, it is less than 1/2 of 1%.
If i remember correctly, the number of roof problems they had was much larger than 200 (corvette forum). I believe they said that if it hasn't happened yet, it WILL happen, its not something they did on some cars, its on all of them. The heat makes this process of the roof delaminating quicker and it was over 100 degrees for the past month here in the bay area (CA).

I know they're fixing the problem with a new material instead of the one originally used, but the way they handled this error with their customers, not only dealerships(he went to two), but corp (they were the ones who offered the oil change solution mind you), is completely unacceptable.

Don't get me wrong, the car is awesome so far.. other than the roof issue and alignment issues, but service is a large part.. to me at least.
Old 08-09-2006, 10:08 AM
mav

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by QUIKAG,Aug 9 2006, 10:06 AM
I'd take a roof delamination issue that GM is fixing over crappy E46 M3 reliability anyday.
That would be true if the E46 M3 indeed suffers from "crappy reliability". Except for the early 2001 models, it generally has a good track record, including mine. Besides I would take a M3 with "crappy reliability" any day then deal with C6 that suffers from flying roof syndrome that could potentially lead to a life threatening situation.

Don't get me wrong, the C6 is a great car, performancewise. Too bad its from GM.
Old 08-09-2006, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by Slithr,Aug 9 2006, 09:58 AM
Interesting story. When/where was this pedestrian decapitated?
This was just an exaggerated example of what could happen if the roof went flying off. Its highly unlikely, the roof hitting another moving vehicle is more probable. Still.. hazardous.
Old 08-09-2006, 10:32 AM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Just to be clear I have seen stock corvettes at the track blow away all competition even specially prepared porsche turbos. They are frightenly fast and handle pretty well too. I have also driven c6 vettes and they are competent.

However dollar for dollar the raw lotus that I own is just a lot more fun. The vette reminds me of my old 996 911. Very fast and not much fun on normal roads at least.
Old 08-09-2006, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by cshamash,Aug 9 2006, 01:32 PM
Just to be clear I have seen stock corvettes at the track blow away all competition even specially prepared porsche turbos. They are frightenly fast and handle pretty well too. I have also driven c6 vettes and they are competent.

However dollar for dollar the raw lotus that I own is just a lot more fun. The vette reminds me of my old 996 911. Very fast and not much fun on normal roads at least.
I was talking about the Elise vs. Corvette with my buddy the other day. To me, the Elise is a car that will be extreme fun on a track. I can't imagine anybody taking the Elise anywhere close to the limit on the street, nor the Vette. But you can still have a ton of fun in the Vette going straight.
Old 08-09-2006, 06:45 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I just gave the S back last weekend after a 3 year lease. I love the S but it lacked in the power dept. Also, I was sick of people saying it was "CUTE". Last month I decided to put a deposit down on a 07' c6 z51. Got it at supplier price for 44200. I ordered the clear top so I wouldn't have to worry about the "flying top" issue. Other then the "flying top" the vette is pretty solid. After extensive research and test driving everything from a 996 911 to a new M-B SLK 280 the vette always stuck out in my mind. Yea, you can add a couple of things to the S to get more from the car, but the corvette will still outpower, outhandle, and get more looks than an S, period. In regard to the lotus, that car is a joke. Its a street legal go-kart. The track is the ONLY place to drive that thing. N e way, I can't wait to have the vette in the garage and smoke almost anything on the street,

Lar
Old 08-09-2006, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by Scot,Mar 23 2006, 08:30 AM
I keep trying to figure out what car would make me the most happy for a normal amount of $. 95% of the time i drive by myself and I have a truck to haul my kids around anyway......

My selections are

C6, keep the mustang (03 cobra with warranty about to expire), NSX, S2000 (probably 04 or newer) or another Evo (but MR edition this time for the 6 speed)

S2000's and MR's are just not fast enough....unless modified which means no warranty.....NSX's seem to be overpriced for the most part....

That leaves keeping my mustang or getting a C6....... according to Road & Track just the regular C6 beat the viper, 997, etc... around the race track and runs mid 12's in the qtr...... seems pretty good for under $45k....??

Anyone else here actually have a vette? I know ScottB had/has a converible C6.?
I see you got an NSX instead. Though the C6 is faster, but I think the NSeX is 10 times sexier.
Old 08-09-2006, 07:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SkiLLeDS2000,Aug 10 2006, 06:45 AM
I just gave the S back last weekend after a 3 year lease. I love the S but it lacked in the power dept. Also, I was sick of people saying it was "CUTE". Last month I decided to put a deposit down on a 07' c6 z51. Got it at supplier price for 44200. I ordered the clear top so I wouldn't have to worry about the "flying top" issue. Other then the "flying top" the vette is pretty solid. After extensive research and test driving everything from a 996 911 to a new M-B SLK 280 the vette always stuck out in my mind. Yea, you can add a couple of things to the S to get more from the car, but the corvette will still outpower, outhandle, and get more looks than an S, period. In regard to the lotus, that car is a joke. Its a street legal go-kart. The track is the ONLY place to drive that thing. N e way, I can't wait to have the vette in the garage and smoke almost anything on the street,

Lar
Well at least you enjoyed owning the S for 3 years,time to move on to a new ride.Congratulations and you'll love the C6.
Old 08-17-2006, 09:22 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by SkiLLeDS2000,Aug 9 2006, 09:45 PM
In regard to the lotus, that car is a joke. Its a street legal go-kart. The track is the ONLY place to drive that thing. N e way, I can't wait to have the vette in the garage and smoke almost anything on the street,

Lar
I think you'd make a good corvette owner

Quick Reply: Any reason not to get a C6 Vette?