Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Any reason not to get a C6 Vette?

Old 08-02-2006, 04:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how are you guys finding these good deals on the vette? i'm trying to find a white one with the z51 2lt or 3lt package for what you guys are saying you payed
Old 08-02-2006, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by Presidente,Aug 2 2006, 06:22 PM
how are you guys finding these good deals on the vette? i'm trying to find a white one with the z51 2lt or 3lt package for what you guys are saying you payed
Well they are not just going to give you a good price, you have to work them a little. Also if you get a GM in the driveway (GMID) certificate it is good for special discounted pricing and you wont have to haggle for it.
Kerbeck Chevy clicky
Old 08-08-2006, 11:34 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Why not consider a lotus- much more fun then a corvette. And lacks the horrid image. The more I see the corvette scene the more I can't stand it. It is the housewives sports car of choice around here. Also its more of a fast gt then a tossable sports car.

Vettes are fast though but thats about it.
Old 08-09-2006, 01:08 AM

Originally Posted by cshamash,Aug 9 2006, 01:34 AM

Why not consider a lotus- much more fun then a corvette.
Until you have driven one more than 150 miles in a day. Also the Elise is not a whole lot of fun if you need to get a sack of groceries on the way home. Or if somebody bumps your car in a parking lot cracking a body panel costing $10K to replace. Don't get me wrong the Elise is a great car as long as you have two or three other cars to drive on a regular basis. The S2000 is like a Cadillac next to the Elise.

And lacks the horrid image. The more I see the corvette scene the more I can't stand it. It is the housewives sports car of choice around here.
Around here it seems to be the roadcourse car of choice, if you have not been in one with a competent driver I can understand your lack of knowledge.

Also its more of a fast gt then a tossable sports car.
So is a 911, whats your point?
You obviously have not ridden in a C6 or driven one, I can assure you it is quite tossable, not nearly as tossable as an Elise, nothing is. Having 400 LB Ft of torque under your foot is a hell of alot of fun, you can throttle steer at nearly any speed.

Vettes are fast though but thats about it.
They also have excellent road holding, slalom well, and have great brakes, as well as being quite comfortable on longer trips.
Old 08-09-2006, 02:33 AM

Originally Posted by Scot,Mar 23 2006, 12:30 PM
S2000's ... are just not fast enough....unless modified which means no warranty
Just a thought ... I have heard of Honda dealers continuing warranties with S/C installations when they do the install.
Old 08-09-2006, 03:59 AM

Received 427 Likes on 238 Posts

Good responses, Candyass.

The ignorance still abounds, but it is getting better generally speaking. Of course, GM is doing much better with the Corvette through the C5 and now C6 iterations. I could understand the stigma with the C4 and earlier generations. I still remember a quotation I read from a car magazine test of a C4. It went somethin like, "The chassis and body feel like a thousand parts flying in close formation."

The C5 and C6 has superb hydroformed chassis now with rigidity rivaling most other cars in the world.
Old 08-09-2006, 05:19 AM
mav

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Any reason not to get a C6 Vette? Flying off roofs are enough to keep me away.
Old 08-09-2006, 06:06 AM

Received 427 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by mav,Aug 9 2006, 05:19 AM
I'd take a roof delamination issue that GM is fixing over crappy E46 M3 reliability anyday.
Old 08-09-2006, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by mav,Aug 9 2006, 05:19 AM
My roommate is dealing with Chevy on this issue right now. They tried to buy him off with a a years worth of free oil changes! He obviously declined and they sent in a new roof thanks to a case manager he'd been working with at Chevy corporate. They finally installed the new roof and the paint was F'd. He pointed it out to them right away and a week later they repainted it.. while the case manager told him that the dealership he was going to didn't want to work on his car because his standards were too high!

Rediculous! I'm appaulled at Chevy's horrendous service and it's not even my car! First they tried to buy him off with some f#cking oil changes.. what does that have to do with a piece of the body flying off the car at high speeds and decapitating a pedestrian?! Then they gave the car back to him with shitty paint.. why would they even think that they would get away with that?

For people who buy Chevy's 50k halo car I'd expect them to treat their buyers a lot better. I was seriously giving this car another look but their service is enough to turn me away.

/rant. sorry.
Old 08-09-2006, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by exb00st,Aug 9 2006, 10:50 AM
My roommate is dealing with Chevy on this issue right now. They tried to buy him off with a a years worth of free oil changes! He obviously declined and they sent in a new roof thanks to a case manager he'd been working with at Chevy corporate. They finally installed the new roof and the paint was F'd. He pointed it out to them right away and a week later they repainted it.. while the case manager told him that the dealership he was going to didn't want to work on his car because his standards were too high!

Rediculous! I'm appaulled at Chevy's horrendous service and it's not even my car! First they tried to buy him off with some f#cking oil changes.. what does that have to do with a piece of the body flying off the car at high speeds and decapitating a pedestrian?! Then they gave the car back to him with shitty paint.. why would they even think that they would get away with that?

For people who buy Chevy's 50k halo car I'd expect them to treat their buyers a lot better. I was seriously giving this car another look but their service is enough to turn me away.

/rant. sorry.
That is pretty bad, just remember there are horrible dealers everywhere with all car makes. Honda included.
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=411361

There is always the transparent top if it worries you that much. Apparently the transparent tops do not have the delamination issue.
Supposedly Chevy has developed a new roof for the 2007 models and all previous models will be replaced with the new design. I live in TX have 18000 miles on my car and my roof has been fine. With 70,000 C6 on the road already and only about 200 reported failures, I think it is pretty minor. There is still no excuse for it but, it is not like everybodys roof is flying off, it is less than 1/2 of 1%.

Quick Reply: Any reason not to get a C6 Vette?