Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Any opinions on the Mazdaspeed Protege'?

Old 04-24-2003, 06:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks guys for the opinions! I do kind of have my heart set on the MSP. I actually got to test drive it last night. My thoughts... road manners/handling was much more then what I expected and was very very impressed. I absolutely loved the 4 cyclinder Garrett turbo'ed engine. Got a good boost at low RPM but the high end kind of left you hanging for more (guess I'm used to that VTEC). It had a lot more go then I was expecting. You guys were right about the seats. They're really nice looking but terrible support and the shifter was a little too small for me. It felt like I was reaching down to the floor board everytime I wanted to shift. There are also some exterior styling that I'm not that wild about.

I have been thinking about looking at some others. There's the RSX, but I see sooo many of those around here not to mention that I would want the TypeS and those start at $23k, although I should probably look at them. Mini Cooper S starts around $21k, but you start adding on the extra's and you're looking at about $24k and it's a little too small for me, plus I'm not a big fan of the interior. I can't go and look at an SRT-4... it's a Dodge! No American cars for me if I can help it. I think I'm looking more at a 4 door sedan. I would really look at a WRX, but those new are about $5-6k more then the MSP.

Da Hapa I agree that the refinement and RWD will make me miss the IS300, but I just really don't enjoy driving it that much. I think it's just the fact that it's a little too luxury for me and that mine is an automatic. I just don't find it fun to drive... it's just not what I'm looking for in my driving right now. As far as mid-luxury sedan's, then yes I think it by far one of the best.
Old 04-24-2003, 12:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by DoubleGood
[B]Looking to sell my IS300 to save some cash since the wife and I are thinking about starting a family in the near future.