Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Any one own a CR-V

Old 10-25-2003, 11:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any one own a CR-V

The wife's thinking about one. Any reviews?
Rick
Old 10-25-2003, 12:16 PM

Yeah - we have a 2003, Brown color, optional alloy wheels, 2wd.
We really like it since we needed something to hual things but not a truck. Nice power, nicely constructed, seat versatility is very nice, picnic table is cool even though we have yet to use it, everything is up to Honda specs. BUT..

downsides - its an SUV so that sucks, suspension is kinda stiff (but needed), seats are firm (better for wear, but i dont like them to much IMO), instruments take a little while to get used to.

Overall if you want an SUV in this class it is the best. My cousin has a Ford Excape V6 and its totally inferior and i dont like the breathless engine even if it does have more HP.

Good luck and keep us updated.
Old 10-25-2003, 01:18 PM

2000 1st gen SE spec.
I really love the car. It's not trucky and obnoxious like most suv's. It's based on the civic platform. Handling sucks and the car is slow(relative to s2000). However, I don't think any competitive suvs pricewise are any better. I live in New England and use it with studded snow tires for ski trips. The low torque, high clearance and AWD combine to make it very easy to drive in snow. I like the backseat room and the ability to see over traffic. I also like the fact that after 50,000 miles in 3 years we've had absolutely zero problems and that regular maintenance is inexpensive.
Old 10-25-2003, 08:13 PM

Hi Rick,

We have a 2002 CR-V, the first year of the 2nd generation. We have the auto EX model (4WD). My wife loves the design. We picked it over the Rav4 because of the generous interior space for its class. The engine is smooth and pretty peppy. Gas milage has been around 22-24 MPH mixed.

It was pretty comfortable to me when we drove across the country. The ride is pretty smooth and quiet to me, especially when compare with stock S and Civic. I am not an audio expert, but the stock stereo in the EX model sounds great. The only problem we have so far after 38K miles was the ABS module. Many of the early models had this problem so that the ABS wasn't working.

Even though it's not a 'real' 4x4. We have taken it through mud, stream, trails, sandy beach (Outter Banks), and, of course, snow without any problem.

Good luck on car/SUV shopping!!!
Old 10-25-2003, 09:38 PM

I guess I am the only negative. It was rock solid. I would have kept it forever except that the interior was SOOO dam loud I finally got absolutely sick of it and sold it. You think my current Sti is loud.. heck no.. the CRV is deafening and when the new one came out they were saying it was no better.

Road noise so loud you cant even hear over the stock stereo cranked up.

2000 CRV SE
Old 10-25-2003, 09:45 PM

I have a 03 CRV. It is a 2.4 liter DOHC 16 valve IVTEC 4 cyl. It has 160 hp, and 162 ft. Lbs of torque at a low 3,600 revs. Not to shabby. I think the handling is exellent given it's size, and keep in mind, it has 8 inches of ground clearance. I think it is almost as fast in some corners (medium speed 70ish) as my 86 crx, if not faster. This thing is solid. I will admit that at speed, I cant just whip it around anyway I please, because of size and ground clearance. The ride is really smooth. I can haul stuff, it's covered, seats 4 adults comfortably and it looks good.

It is a silver 4x4 5 speed LX. I choose the LX because it does not have antilock brakes, for personal reasons. It was only $18, 250 It now has 5,500 miles on it, and is just starting to get good fuel milage. I have 5 more quarts of conventional 5w-20 moter oil that I will use to change my oil with, then after that I will switch to fully synthetic 5w-20 oil. Theoretically, I should get better milage, hopefully up to 25-26 on the hwy.

The milage sucked when it was brand new, 17 to 19-20. When I keep the revs down (this is hard) I am now getting 22 mpg which should increase when I switch to the synthetic
Old 01-13-2004, 08:58 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

We just picked up our CR-V last night. EX 5-spd Blue. This was a tough combination to find, had to wait 5 months to get one so we ended up with a 2004 instead of a 2003.

We wanted the 5-spd for the added control, both me and my wife like shifting and feeling like we're more in control of the car. Don't get me wrong, the automatic is good, better than most, it's just that any automatic makes me feel more like a passenger while I'm in the driver's seat.

We got a good deal, just over invoice, and are very happy with our new Honda. The CR-V compliments the S2000 so well because it does everything else that the S2000 doesn't, it hauls large items, has 4 doors, seats 5 people, and has a nice highway ride.

The CR-V is clearly best in class, always picked #1 by the magazines even though it doesn't have a V6 option. For the money I don't think you can go wrong.

Now if I can only figure out how to add arm rests to the front seats, Honda left them off since they must of thought they would be in the way of shifting.
Old 01-13-2004, 09:40 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I drove one for a week while lending the S2000 to a friend. Warning, if you are a CRV fan, stop reading now. I have absolutely nothing good to say about the vehicle.

My major complaints are as follows.
-Horrible brakes
-Horrible steering
-Absolutely no power whatsoever (I understand they now have a bit more horsepower)
-Horrible stereo (typical Honda)
-No room
-Terrible seats

This all adds up to the most unpleasant vehicle I have ever driven, and that's saying a lot because I have driven some ratted out 70's pieces of shit. What's more, the "utility" of this "SUV" is limited to carrying what .. A load of cardboard or Styrofoam? Let's face it, you won't be towing a damn thing, fitting much into it or going on any off-roading adventures beyond gravel roads.

To counter the above comments about the Escape. I work with a guy who has the mid-level Escape. It is by comparison a solid car, free of rattles, has a great stereo, decent front seats (the rear is still too hard) and a bit more power. The steering is weighted nicely and the brakes are in the average category too.

Regardless, would I purchase anything in the cute-ute class? No. You are already making some sacrifices and compromises when purchasing an SUV. For the utility and price point, why not just get a station wagon Subaru and call it a day -- at least they are a bit more forgiving in their road manners.
Old 01-13-2004, 10:09 AM

^ Did you go into this having a bad opinion about it? I mean your opinions just seem kinda extreme.
Old 01-13-2004, 10:26 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Did you go into this having a bad opinion about it? I mean your opinions just seem kinda extreme.
Not at all, I quite like the looks of them and the odd details (slide out rear picnic table).

Quick Reply: Any one own a CR-V