Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Any G37 experience?

Old 03-24-2013, 07:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Any G37 experience?

In the past few weeks, I've just been scrolling autotrader for 08+ G37 sport coupes (6mt only).
Price range 17-25k.
I'm not dead set on a G37, but would sure as hell like to break a decent deal on one.

Does anyone have some knowledge of these things?
Old 03-25-2013, 08:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just traded in my 08 G37S Coupe 6MT for my S about a month ago.

Overall I think it is a good car because you get a lot of features for the money. It is also pretty fast and well balanced.

There were a couple of things that I did not like that may not be an issue for you. The car felt very heavy to me, I think the curb weight was somewhere between 3600 and 3700 and it actually makes the car feel a bit underpowered at low RPMs (torque comes on in the midrange and is lacking on the low end).

Also, I felt that the ergonomics were not up to par for a car in that class (have owned a e46 3 series). The seatbelt cuts into your neck, the AC always comes on when you switch to auto climate control no matter how hot or cold it is and the bolsters on the bottom of the seat are so tight on the early models that they make your legs burn on long trips (I am ~ 5' 7'').

My car was very reliable and had no issues, but there are known issues that many G guys have dealt with: the windows are frameless and sometimes let water in, the trim on the gauge cluster warps, the trim on the steering wheel controls fades. Also, according to the forums, there are folks with synchro issues, slave cylinder issues and premature clutch wear (replacement needed in less that 25k miles) but the clutch is really hard to modulate on that car so some of this could be driver driven.

Not sure if these things will annoy you or not, obviously they annoyed me enough to pull the trigger on an S2k. Feel free to PM me with any questions.
Old 03-25-2013, 10:57 AM

I have a 2008 G37S that my wife daily drives. It has 70k miles on it and no problems.

As bigfy says, its a big car. It doesn't have the handling and nimbleness that you might be used to in a S2000. It will remind you of a GT car versus a true sports car. However, it has VERY nice amenities. It is way more comfy and has way more options than many other cars in it's class. For example, we looked at a 335, A4, IS350 and Acuras when we bought. Comparatively, the G offered more options for the money.
Old 03-25-2013, 11:51 AM

Best value in the used sporty luxury market currently IMO. I almost bought one just like you are looking for prior to getting my most recent S 5-6 months ago. I really like the car and did a lot of research on reliability/common issues; they were not any significant ones <100k miles and few above that. I'd go for it as long as you get a good deal. I had a very hard time finding one, especially a coupe, at <18.5k with <50k miles. The ones I was willing to purchase ended up being in the low 20's.
Old 03-25-2013, 06:32 PM

My girlfriend has a 2010 G37s 6MT. Drove this car a lot before I picked up my S and I probably still drive this car more so than my S (My S is the weekend car). Like mentioned earlier, this is probably the best bang for the buck in it's class. Good engine, well balanced, great tech features, comfortable, a great GT car.

Some issues mentioned earlier, it does feel heavy to me, but only when I try to corner hard through lower speed corners. Feels pretty planted on mid to high speed corners, but I'm not one to try to push cars to the limit on the streets. I feel to get away pretty quickly on local roads you have to rev this car above 3000 rpms or else V6 camry's, accords and minivans are going leave you in their dust.

It can be a gas guzzler in the city. I think the lowest I've seen was around 15-18 mpg, without driving hard. Once you are on the highway, I can achieve about 26 mpg. On the average display, the car is getting 23-24 mpg. This is the car my GF and I took on long road trips because it's tank size is around 18 or 19 gallons, so our range is around 450 miles. I love taking this car out for long road trips!

The thing that bothered me the most was THAT CLUTCH!!! Stock clutch height, the engagement point is at the end of the clutch travel and with a very narrow window. I searched up on it, found a solution in which you are able to adjust it yourself and it only took about 5-10 minutes. It's much more enjoyable now.

We haven't had problems with reliability so far (Around 50k on the odometer) and have had no problems with quality control, fit or finish. Yes this car has those little nuances that can annoy you at times, but I feel that there are too many great things to be said about the G37s that it easily overlooks the bad.
Old 03-25-2013, 09:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mintswack
My girlfriend has a 2010 G37s 6MT. Drove this car a lot before I picked up my S and I probably still drive this car more so than my S (My S is the weekend car). Like mentioned earlier, this is probably the best bang for the buck in it's class. Good engine, well balanced, great tech features, comfortable, a great GT car.

Some issues mentioned earlier, it does feel heavy to me, but only when I try to corner hard through lower speed corners. Feels pretty planted on mid to high speed corners, but I'm not one to try to push cars to the limit on the streets. I feel to get away pretty quickly on local roads you have to rev this car above 3000 rpms or else V6 camry's, accords and minivans are going leave you in their dust.

It can be a gas guzzler in the city. I think the lowest I've seen was around 15-18 mpg, without driving hard. Once you are on the highway, I can achieve about 26 mpg. On the average display, the car is getting 23-24 mpg. This is the car my GF and I took on long road trips because it's tank size is around 18 or 19 gallons, so our range is around 450 miles. I love taking this car out for long road trips!

The thing that bothered me the most was THAT CLUTCH!!! Stock clutch height, the engagement point is at the end of the clutch travel and with a very narrow window. I searched up on it, found a solution in which you are able to adjust it yourself and it only took about 5-10 minutes. It's much more enjoyable now.

We haven't had problems with reliability so far (Around 50k on the odometer) and have had no problems with quality control, fit or finish. Yes this car has those little nuances that can annoy you at times, but I feel that there are too many great things to be said about the G37s that it easily overlooks the bad.

Oddly enough, I plan on daily driving it as well. Want to garage the S and work on it/restore paint and (yea...) rear quarter panel rust. It will likely be garage queen weekend warrior, since my DD took a sht and it is time to move up and on (a lot).

Test driving the G37 6mt? my issue was the clutch pedal and its play, very different from what i am use to in the s2000. Where there is some resistance in the disengaging motion (needing to use some leg muscles to put the pedal down) and some push while engaging (pedal giving some feedback as i release pressure). It felt a bit too loose to me on the g37, but clutch disengaged and grabbed with no issue, could be something I'd just have to get use to.

Power? It was the very first time i drove a vehicle with DBW and noticed it isn't dead on with throttle response. I agree with the low end RPM not being so exciting, but the v6 torque sure as hell surprised me once it got going.
Cruising around was nice and i didn't notice much of any body roll when turning or avoiding potholes with it.
Felt very stable.
By comparison, i could tell this thing weighed a bit, but I'm not looking to buy this thing to hot dog it and throw its weight around.
A nice sporty luxury car that i can get in manual (sticking to Japanese cars), that will seat more then just 2 people, and be comfortable in long trips.

Love my S2000, so it will stay with me until death. But for 2+ hour rides and weather making its way through my soft top seals, it is about time i get to investing in the S (mainly to restore it) and have a coupe take over for DD.

I joined "myg37.com" forums so i can read up on common issues, get an idea of what the prices should look like, and see what parts compatibility it may have.
Going to do some shopping starting this week when i have the time.

Thanks for all the replies!

Sorry I haven't responded to them individually and soon enough
Old 03-26-2013, 09:06 AM

I spent time test driving 09~10 G37S 6MT (both coupe and sedan) about a month ago while cross-shopping with Acura TL Type-SH 6MT. For whatever my very subjective opinion is worth, I felt G37S didn't feel special enough for me. The car had great power and descent handling but the overall feel of the car just felt ho-hum. I don' t know how to explain it but it's that special feeling I got when I first drove my S2K. For me, I thought TL felt better than G37S.
Old 03-26-2013, 11:35 AM

I've never been happy with Nissan quality. I had a 03 350z and it constantly had issues. There's a reason why you dont see many Nissan's over 150k miles while I commonly find early 90's Accords and Civics still running strong with 200k+ miles.
Old 03-26-2013, 12:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I work at an Infiniti/Chevrolet dealer and one thing I've noticed almost all of the G's is their shitty paint. I've never seen a modern car with so many large paint chips and cracking. Almost every 5ish year old G-car has some seriously effed paint.
Old 03-26-2013, 09:31 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by BEASTMODE
I've never been happy with Nissan quality. I had a 03 350z and it constantly had issues. There's a reason why you dont see many Nissan's over 150k miles while I commonly find early 90's Accords and Civics still running strong with 200k+ miles.
I have seen many high mileage Nissan's, particularly the Hardbody trucks. There are far more pre-1980 Nissan's (Datsun) on the road today than there are Honda's. Go to any vintage Japanese car show and tell me how many Honda's you see compared to Datsun's. In reality, is there really a pre-1985 Honda that one would want to own ?

So you have never been happy with Nissan quality based on the ownership of a 2003 350Z. That is quite the sampling pool.
Perhaps I should base overall Honda quality on the bubbling dash and headlamp housing on my former 00' S2000. Or perhaps the poor fitting A-Pillar trim, switch bulbs that burnt out monthly or leaky interior on my former 2006 Ridgeline that Honda has not wholly rectified 8 years into production.

Quick Reply: Any G37 experience?