Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Any advice on taking turns?

Old 08-12-2004, 02:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any advice on taking turns?

Well I've been riding for a little while now and i still have the same problem. Scared to really lean the bike. I figured this would be a good place to ask any pointers or advice. In the S2K i take turns like a complete lunatic. (As do most people). And most people also do the same on the bike but i just can't get myself to do it. Just asking for any advice or pointers some people might have.

I HATE TAKING TURNS LIKE A GIRL.
Old 08-12-2004, 06:08 PM

[FONT=Arial]Hey man, sounds like perhaps you aren't quite ready to be pushing it in turns? I know for sure thats not what you'd like to accept...how long HAVE you been on a bike? Although its great you don't wanna be some show-off stunter, or straight line only rider (dont take offence if you are one of the preceding, its just in my mind; twisties riding is the only riding) The best advice i, or most people could give you is, slowly start leaning more and more, and make sure your comfortable doing it. OH! and don't think you have to put a knee down on the road to (as you say it) not turn like a girl, even if your friends do it.
Knee drag on public road
Be Careful, and have fun!
Old 08-12-2004, 06:17 PM

Thanks, this is my 2nd season riding but i did not ride much last year in my 1st year. In total i have about 5,000 miles under my belt. My friends are real cool about it when we ride in groups but i hate it when they have to stop because we take some really twisty road after twisty road and i fall alittle behind. I also have a VERY heavy bike i i seem to feel like it is always gonna go over. i guess that's just part of the lean. I've been getting better and one thing that has definatley helped me is looking through the turn. Any toher pointers will be great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-12-2004, 06:18 PM

TRACK DAY!

Find a good school at a local track and build up experience. You'll get good advice from the instructors and your in a much safer environment!
Old 08-12-2004, 08:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ditto on the track day idea. No better place to train than a controlled environment where you're practicing the same turns over and over again. I can drag knees no prob. on the track, but never have on the street...it's just too dangerous to push it that hard.
Old 08-12-2004, 08:56 PM

Anyone know of tracks here on the east coast preferably jersey. Thanks guys.
Old 08-12-2004, 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by 2k3yellows2k,Aug 13 2004, 02:17 AM
Thanks, this is my 2nd season riding but i did not ride much last year in my 1st year. In total i have about 5,000 miles under my belt. My friends are real cool about it when we ride in groups but i hate it when they have to stop because we take some really twisty road after twisty road and i fall alittle behind. I also have a VERY heavy bike i i seem to feel like it is always gonna go over. i guess that's just part of the lean. I've been getting better and one thing that has definatley helped me is looking through the turn. Any toher pointers will be great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
How heavy is heavy? What bike is it?

I endorse the comments about track days - you'll find that the bike will go much further over than you're ever likely to need on the road and it's a good way to build up your confidence which sounds as if it is a bit lacking.

I ride a ZZR 1200 which is not a light sportsbike at around 170/180kg but a bit porky at about 240kg. You can still lean that over on the track till you have no chicken strip left. I never get right to the edge of the tyre during normal road riding but at least I know that it will go much further if I need to use it.
Old 08-13-2004, 05:16 AM

I have a 03 kawsaki zx-7 and the bike weighs about 460lbs./210 kg. At least your bike is a 1200 my bike is only a 750. Most sportbikes weigh about 80-100 lbs less than mine but also have larger engines. Oh well. I'll look into the track day.
Old 08-13-2004, 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by 2k3yellows2k,Aug 13 2004, 01:16 PM
I have a 03 kawsaki zx-7 and the bike weighs about 460lbs./210 kg. At least your bike is a 1200 my bike is only a 750. Most sportbikes weigh about 80-100 lbs less than mine but also have larger engines. Oh well. I'll look into the track day.
If that is the same ZX-7 that is sold in the UK then you have a really nice bike i.e. the fully faired sports bike. The ZX-7 is renowned for having an absolutely planted front end combined with ridiculously firm rear suspension.

I can see that it's not necessarily the bike for someone relatively inexperienced and that might be the reason for your lack of confidence.

However, assuming you don't want to change the bike for something a bit more friendly such as a CBR 600, you could well do with track instruction just so you really understand what that bike can do. It is a very capable bike especially on track (it was running against the 1,000 cc bikes in British Superbikes up to last year and doing well) and I suspect that your problem might be the capability gap between you and the machine.

Why not try one of the Keith Code California Superbike schools?
Old 08-13-2004, 05:53 AM

California super schools would be great just money i do not have right now. I really want to trade bikes to a Honda 600 F4I or 600 RR but i figured i really should learn on the heavier bike first. if i can't turn this bike how will i be able to turn the others. I know it's confidence that's holding me back, not the bike. So with that said it's about just keep practining til i get this right. Damn tire is getting so much wear in the middle and nothing on it's side.

Quick Reply: Any advice on taking turns?