Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Another one of these threads... Cayman S or Elise?

Old 07-14-2014, 05:48 PM

Received 118 Likes on 68 Posts

Well, I agree that in most accidents, an Elise isn't that dangerous. However, if I get T-boned by a pickup truck in an Elise, I'm screwed. I'm less screwed in most other cars. Ergo, it's too risky.

If I could afford an Elise plus a FULLLLLLL cage, I would chance it. But its complete lack of A-pillar metal sounds like a recipe for instant death syndrome.
Old 07-14-2014, 05:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr.E.G.
Well, I agree that in most accidents, an Elise isn't that dangerous. However, if I get T-boned by a pickup truck in an Elise, I'm screwed. I'm less screwed in most other cars. Ergo, it's too risky.

If I could afford an Elise plus a FULLLLLLL cage, I would chance it. But its complete lack of A-pillar metal sounds like a recipe for instant death syndrome.
I'm sure your Miata has a roll bar, but a lot of people drive Miatas without them and that A-pillar is a poor excuse for metal.
Old 07-14-2014, 06:32 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Gigdy
Originally Posted by Mr.E.G.' timestamp='1405135721' post='23240640
What do you guys think of that car at that price? The dealership is basically flat-out not going to lower the price more than $500 off their asking price. I hit them with a very reasonable take it or leave it offer and they couldn't show me to the door fast enough. Haha.

The car is in immaculate condition. I mean, it is literally in like-new condition. You could eat off of the thing. Also, I should add that the this car drove nothing like the first Corvette I drove with the douche bag, prison-tatted salesman that I described as not handling well. This car definitely handled well and was much more intuitive than the last one. Not Cayman-like and telepathic, but something I could definitely get used.

Plus, the engine was fairly intoxicating. I like it.

My buddy insists that the price is way too high. I looked at about 15 C5 Z06s in my area and just factored their price per mile on the odometer, and this car is priced at an average price per mile as all the rest. Plus, all the other C5 ZO6s I've gone to test drive were all pretty beaten on. It seems like a lot of car for the money. What do you guys think?
The price is high. I paid less for a 2003 with 16k 2 years ago. But it was a private party

Originally Posted by s.hasan546
Originally Posted by Mr.E.G.' timestamp='1405211547' post='23241248
Thanks guys. I called him back and told him that he's got to work with me a bit but we're closer to a deal than he realizes. He came down another $250 and said yes. So, pending an inspection, I think it's mine.
Have you seen this one?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevrolet-Co...US_Cars_Trucks
LOL @ "car has no dents"
Guys bought a S2k 2 years ago that is less then it goes for now... The fact that the C5 Z06 is the best performance bargain under $30k is raising book values,along with the demand for it....

People are paying $26k+ for S2ks now. It only makes sense for the highly desirable C5 Z06 to increase in value as well. It is a future collectible/classic.
Old 07-15-2014, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by RC 94
Originally Posted by Mr.E.G.' timestamp='1405388921' post='23243970

I'm sure your Miata has a roll bar, but a lot of people drive Miatas without them and that A-pillar is a poor excuse for metal.

I hear you, but I'm not a lot of people. ;-)

However, I would say that the A pillar itself in an early Miata is indeed far too weak, but the cowl section that would take a good portion of the force in a T-Bone collision would fare better than the Elise, which has, at the same point vertically, plastic and plastic alone. In other words, at truck bumper height, a T-boned Miata has all kinds of metal. In an Elise, they'd be hitting the B pillar roll bar behind you and essentially plastic in front of you. All of that super resilient aluminum would be under the truck. The Elise has a much better chassis than a Miata, in terms of crash safety, if you get hit in the right spots. If you don't you might as well be driving around in a portapotty.
Old 07-15-2014, 08:24 AM

I found another Corvette. It looks like I'll be flying to Oklahoma City tomorrow to check it out. On a related note, the seller may literally be the only person on the Corvette forums that understands spelling and grammar. Sheesh, it's rough over there.
Old 07-15-2014, 02:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thought this was a decent deal. Could probably work him lower.

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/cto/4570685719.html
Old 07-15-2014, 02:18 PM

Thanks! That doesn't seem like a bad deal at all. I prefer the all black interior, but that price is good. If my Oklahoma deal falls through, I will reach out to the California guy.
Old 07-16-2014, 07:16 AM

Provided everything checks out with the inspection, I've got a deal in place on a blue 03.
Old 07-16-2014, 04:54 PM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

You've certainly gone to a lot more work for a car then I ever have. Good luck!
Old 07-16-2014, 04:57 PM

Thanks, man! I'm just really cheap so I have to jump through hoops. Haha.

Quick Reply: Another one of these threads... Cayman S or Elise?