Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Another Need Help Picking A Car Thread

Old 08-02-2015, 06:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Another Need Help Picking A Car Thread

So I need to get another car to date and take care of my S. Needs to be able to handle the North Jersey winters, so AWD or FWD is a must. Reliability is my #1 priority. This vehicle will only be a DD for approx. 4 months of the year, and will be used sporadically throughout the rest of the year when I don't want to drive the S. The more space in the vehicle the better, which is why I said SUV, truck, or hatch. I don't want to be worried about this vehicle breaking down because it has more than 100k miles. Hondas have been known to hit 200k and keep going, but if I can get this one to 175k-200k without any major issues I'd be happy. Sedan is the fallback plan if I cant find something that works, but I'd really like to have the extra carry space that these other types of vehicles can offer. The vehicle should also be capable of towing, and the ability to drive off road (not at high speeds) is a plus, but not a necessity.

Been considering something like an older Ford Explorer, Jeep Grand Cherokee, Subaru hatchback, Ford Bronco. Does anyone have a suggestion for what to look at? I know nothing about SUV engines and how they act over 100k. I just want to make sure I get a vehicle that is reliable and won't have me worried about breaking down or falling apart.

For the record, I did try searching, but wasn't able to find something that matched my criteria.

Any input, good or bad, about any vehicles that fit this criteria would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-02-2015, 07:26 PM
Community Organizer

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Get a Pontiac Vibe/Toyota Matrix

Ultra reliable, great on gas and spacious. Fold down the rear seats and they sit flush with the trunk floor. You can fit a ton of stuff back there.
Old 08-02-2015, 08:01 PM

Received 234 Likes on 165 Posts

+1

That is THE car to get for space and reliability (Matrix/Vipe). An EP3 Civic Si would also be a "fun" choice (speaking within the context of that type of car), though only two doors.

An older CR-V would serve you well as well, plus you could get it with a manual and AWD if you wanted (auto trannies on those may be problematic).
Old 08-02-2015, 10:31 PM

Received 522 Likes on 400 Posts

Anything that can truly tow and has true 4wd tend to have tranny related issues by the time it hits those miles. If you minus those two criteria then I'd go crv. Other notable mention is the element for its Swiss army back seat.
Old 08-03-2015, 01:37 AM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

If reliability is #1 stay with a Honda or Toyota product. You'll give up some options but 200k without issues is more likely.

That said, people say reliability matters... Massive warranty on the jeep?
Old 08-03-2015, 05:09 AM

Received 121 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by JonBoy
+1

That is THE car to get for space and reliability (Matrix/Vipe).
+2 on the Matrix/Vibe.

I'd also suggest one of the No. 1 all time reliable cars; Toyota Corolla.
Old 08-03-2015, 05:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Suburu's are not reliable?
Old 08-03-2015, 07:20 AM

Received 121 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by EkaL86
Not so much in my 15 years of owning them. It's AWD and low price which is their sweet spot; not quality. No Subaru can come close to Toyota's utilitarian offerings.
Old 08-03-2015, 10:18 AM

Received 522 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by EkaL86

At that mileage, head gaskets tend to go out religiously on almost every one of their cars, the newer cars have the improved double/triple? layer gaskets, but in the older cars only the wrxs really had them so foresters, outbacks etc tend to need them and given their boxer design tends to be a more costly bill than doing it on a honda. If you could get one with fresh head gaskets then why not. They are pretty reliable, but at that mileage it's always rolling the dice with any car though.
Old 08-03-2015, 10:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well since you mentioned truck in your posting, Toyota Tacoma. There are so many highmilage Toyota Tacomas and resell value is ridiculous as well. The four cylinder model comes brand-new for 26k with 4x4 and a standard transmission.

On the other hand, my dad has a Chevy Silverado. It's a 2003 with 190k. So far he replaced the ac compressor, water pump and alternator. Bought it since new.

Quick Reply: Another Need Help Picking A Car Thread