Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Another bites the dust, Audi announces no more manual in the R8 for 2015 :(

Old 03-21-2014, 11:17 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Chance S2K
The 2000s aren't completely without their share of decent cars, but I do feel like they're much more far and few than previous decades.
The thing though, is that almost ALL cars are at least "decent" now, so it's much harder for individual cars (e.g. anything in Honda's current lineup) to stand out. Not like the 80s-90s when the best were diamonds in the rough and rightly became much-loved. I have an E90 335i and it's by far the -best- car I've ever owned (even above the S!), but my -favorite- car of all time was a CRX. So I think that cars are better now than ever, but totally agree that automatics, all the gadgetry, and most of all the hyper-market-research-driven uniformity --- all tend to take away a lot of their character.
Old 03-22-2014, 12:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Da New Yawka' timestamp='1395433927' post='23074744
[quote name='Chance S2K' timestamp='1395105107' post='23067746']
This makes me very sad. It's reasons like this that I strongly believe that I will always be attracted to 90s-era cars. No excessive safety bullshit, no confusing and unnecessary electronics, plenty of manual gearboxes, and just a good powerplant and traditional suspension setup with a wide aftermarket. 90s cars are straightforward, and I appreciate a lot of the aesthetics as well.

It worries me to know that the rarity and price of cars produced in the 90s is only going to go up. The only modern middle-class sports car that I'm really interested in now is the 2015 Mustang, since they're FINALLY switching to an independent rear (and even then, I hate the new body styling...)

We're a dying breed guys
I would say up to mid 2000's before things started going downhill to where they are now.

Dont forget about the EVO, e46, Z06 Vette, our car, Elise and a few other cars.
I thought about that, but I also considered the fact that all of those models had already begun production in the 90s.

The 2000s aren't completely without their share of decent cars, but I do feel like they're much more far and few than previous decades.
[/quote]

You don't realize how silly it is that you claim you are only now interested in a Mustang because they are changing the rear suspension to match what everyone else is selling, yet somehow we are supposed to believe you are lamenting the safety features, transmissions and nanny gadgets that take some of the spirit and excitement from driving?

Go drive a RWD V8 manual trans solid axle car, drive it hard, then tell me there is nothing to like - that the rear suspension completely ruins the experience - and still try to convince me you are wistful for the good old days where sports cars always seemed to want to kill you. Because you are so full of crap. You've never driven the cars you claim to miss. Which really makes it hard to miss them. When they are right there to be purchased and driven you turn your nose up, but when they aren't there you claim to miss them. Yeah, whatever.
Old 03-22-2014, 07:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NuncoStr8
Originally Posted by Chance S2K' timestamp='1395440495' post='23074948
[quote name='Da New Yawka' timestamp='1395433927' post='23074744']
This makes me very sad. It's reasons like this that I strongly believe that I will always be attracted to 90s-era cars. No excessive safety bullshit, no confusing and unnecessary electronics, plenty of manual gearboxes, and just a good powerplant and traditional suspension setup with a wide aftermarket. 90s cars are straightforward, and I appreciate a lot of the aesthetics as well.

It worries me to know that the rarity and price of cars produced in the 90s is only going to go up. The only modern middle-class sports car that I'm really interested in now is the 2015 Mustang, since they're FINALLY switching to an independent rear (and even then, I hate the new body styling...)

We're a dying breed guys
I would say up to mid 2000's before things started going downhill to where they are now.

I thought about that, but I also considered the fact that all of those models had already begun production in the 90s.

[/quote]

You don't realize how silly it is that you claim you are only now interested in a Mustang because they are changing the rear suspension to match what everyone else is selling, yet somehow we are supposed to believe you are lamenting the safety features, transmissions and nanny gadgets that take some of the spirit and excitement from driving?

Go drive a RWD V8 manual trans solid axle car, drive it hard, then tell me there is nothing to like - that the rear suspension completely ruins the experience - and still try to convince me you are wistful for the good old days where sports cars always seemed to want to kill you. Because you are so full of crap. You've never driven the cars you claim to miss. Which really makes it hard to miss them. When they are right there to be purchased and driven you turn your nose up, but when they aren't there you claim to miss them. Yeah, whatever.
[/quote]
Damn dude you got pissed off pretty fast over nothing lol.

And for the record I've (consistently) driven a 88 Foxbody GT, 93 3000GT, 93 Civic GSR, 2000 Integra B20, and a 2002 Mustang GT.
Old 03-25-2014, 07:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NuncoStr8' timestamp='1395477707' post='23075486
[quote name='Chance S2K' timestamp='1395440495' post='23074948']
[quote name='Da New Yawka' timestamp='1395433927' post='23074744']

We're a dying breed guys

[/quote]

[/quote]
Damn dude you got pissed off pretty fast over nothing lol.

And for the record I've (consistently) driven a 88 Foxbody GT, 93 3000GT, 93 Civic GSR, 2000 Integra B20, and a 2002 Mustang GT.
[/quote]

I used the word "crap." How pissed could I possibly be

It shouldn't come across that harsh, but it's the internet - what can I do if you're going to get upset everytime someone drops a c-bomb? LOL. I'm sorry if it came across as being mean. Crap happens.

Seriously, what does "(consistently) driven" mean vs. ownership? There's no need to prove anything over the internet, it's just an odd choice of words when "owned" would suffice if that's what you meant. If you haven't owned any of the cars you mentioned, work on that. Well, skip the FWD models unless you just like beating on rental cars But RWD V8 cars are pretty much always fun, and the American version is universally regarded as impossible to beat in bang for your buck - solid fun for your dollar and dirt cheap to maintain well, in the company they keep.

If you want manufacturers to make cars that are more visceral and less protective, that's what you need to be buying. Manufacturers don't ignore the used market for their cars - they use resale as a selling point to new buyers. Dealers certainly tell their corporate contact what has been selling and what hasn't. Even if makers don't listen, buy them now while you can get them in good shape at good prices. Maks no sense to wait for some new car to come out if what you profess to want is already on the market. Which is the gist of my prior post - lamenting what was made and claiming to look forward to what might come out instead of talking up what you can have today.