Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Another bites the dust, Audi announces no more manual in the R8 for 2015 :(

Old 03-17-2014, 05:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This makes me very sad. It's reasons like this that I strongly believe that I will always be attracted to 90s-era cars. No excessive safety bullshit, no confusing and unnecessary electronics, plenty of manual gearboxes, and just a good powerplant and traditional suspension setup with a wide aftermarket. 90s cars are straightforward, and I appreciate a lot of the aesthetics as well.

It worries me to know that the rarity and price of cars produced in the 90s is only going to go up. The only modern middle-class sports car that I'm really interested in now is the 2015 Mustang, since they're FINALLY switching to an independent rear (and even then, I hate the new body styling...)

We're a dying breed guys
Old 03-17-2014, 05:28 PM

Received 121 Likes on 96 Posts

Aston and Porsche are holding on.
Old 03-18-2014, 04:21 AM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
991 GT3 is PDK only.
Old 03-18-2014, 05:38 AM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by deepbluejh
Don't you guys get it? These companies are selling to people buying the cars, not enthusiasts of 10 year old Hondas. If their paying customers demanded manuals over DCTs, that is what they would be making. Alas, the market has spoken.
I get it and said that!
Old 03-18-2014, 06:40 AM

Received 177 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Chance S2K
We're a dying breed guys
We'll see.. Things go in cycles/go from one extreme to another. The new "cool" thing is DCT's and fancy autos. There'll be a time when manuals come back into vogue and the DCT's/autos will be scorned. It may take a while, but it'll eventually happen. I'm not surprised that supercars don't come in manual anymore. Reason being those cars aren't bought to be really driven, hence the autos will likely stay very popular. We'll see, I'm cautiously optimistic manuals will make a come back in the more "mainstream" sports cars like the M3/etc.
Old 03-18-2014, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by CosmosMpower
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol' timestamp='1395106125' post='23067763
991 GT3 is PDK only.
Cayenne is now automatic only too... You knew my point...
Old 03-18-2014, 11:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Last from i hear, the 991 GT3 RS is going to come out with a manual transmission.
Old 03-18-2014, 01:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by omarisramo
Last from i hear, the 991 GT3 RS is going to come out with a manual transmission.
Everything I've read says it's going to have the 7-speed PDK, with a caveat that Porsche "is thinking/considering" a manual. Which is the same as saying the 991 GT3 RS is going to have a PDK.
Old 03-19-2014, 08:54 AM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I believe as of right now Porsche is still offering manuals, just not the the GT3 which is odd. My last GT3 was an 08 and it had an awesome manual tranny. Silky smooth shifting and the suede felt really good going throw the gears. I drove it 600+ miles in one day and it was a bit punishing but still liveable You guys remember the CGT? (now the famed car Walker died in) but that car was insane trying to drive it around town. If any car deserved a PDK it was that car, way too much power to control from a manual in my opinion. One of the few cars I drove that actually scared me.

I'll report back in a few weeks how it drives but I'm really excited to own a manual car with a gated shifter. To me that always spoke of "exotic" so we'll see how Audi does. A few months back I drove a friend's R-tronic and it felt disappointing and dismal, made the R8 feel dulled. After driving the 6-speed a few weeks ago, it renewed my passion for the car and decided this is the year I want to own the car. It's stll not special enough to replace my other babies but I'm curious to see how the R8's mid engine v10 feel compared to the more nimble NSX experience.

Manual cars in general always spoke to the true car guy who understands the feel. Modern sports cars not really about speed in my opinion, it's how it makes us feel at the end of the day getting out of the car. I'm not a speed freak by any means but love the aura of the motor/exhaust and how the suspension and rest of the car makes the driver feel.

Maybe I'm a bit jaded but the s2000 just isn't as special to me now as it was back in 2004 when I took ownership of my (new to me) 2001 Spa s2000. Not sure what it is but nowadays the s2000 is not as special, though I still apreciate a well modded one. Maybe it's because I don't have time to track them anymore.
Old 03-19-2014, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by s4play
Manual cars in general always spoke to the true car guy who understands the feel. Modern sports cars not really about speed in my opinion, it's how it makes us feel at the end of the day getting out of the car.
I'd say the opposite; that modern sports cars are too much about speed and not enough about "sport" or "passion".

Quick Reply: Another bites the dust, Audi announces no more manual in the R8 for 2015 :(