Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Are American cars really that bad

Old 01-11-2002, 10:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

american cars do have a long way to come when you compare them to the euro and japanese cars, the korean cars are probably better than an american car for crying out loud.

they need to concentrate more on making cars people wants instead of making cars different from the Japanese....people can only use so many SUVs
Old 01-11-2002, 10:09 AM

Consumer Reports recently rated 6-cyl family cars, and the Passat, Camry, and Accord were at the top of the scale, as expected.

However, what was impressive was that the Korean-built Hyundai Sonata was rated higher than the Oldsmobile, Ford, Chevrolet, Dodge, and Pontiac entries.
Old 01-11-2002, 10:42 AM
mav

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have never owned an American car and will probably never either, sad to say.

In general, most just have big engines with bad interiors, poor build quality and can't withstand "spirited" driving without the rattles and shakes.

In my eyes, Japanese and European cars are far superior.

My girlfriend currently owns a Dodge Durango SLT and what a POS it is. Its big, slow and handles like a semi-truck. Absolutely hideous. Especially when compared to the Acura MDX or BMW X5, I cannot imagine anyone paying $35K for that oversized bucket of bolts... An arguement that my girlfriend and I have daily. Hopefully she will give in soon and trade that POS for the MDX or X5.
Old 01-11-2002, 10:48 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Swurvydel
[B]american cars do have a long way to come when you compare them to the euro and japanese cars, the korean cars are probably better than an american car for crying out loud.
Old 01-11-2002, 10:50 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Palmateer
[B]Consumer Reports recently rated 6-cyl family cars, and the Passat, Camry, and Accord were at the top of the scale, as expected.
Old 01-11-2002, 11:04 AM

Originally posted by elanderholm
...i'm moving to Canada!!
Hehehe....wait until you see what we pay in taxes...
Old 01-11-2002, 11:09 AM

"Are American cars really that bad?" - yes, yes, and defnitely. I can't speak for anything other than a Mustang GT however, but my experience with it has changed my mind to the point I will never consider buying another domestic.
Old 01-11-2002, 12:10 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Bruinlax
[B]Wow, are the british actually complaining about american build quality?????

"um hello kettle, this is the pot,
Old 01-11-2002, 12:49 PM

SteveUCI: You didn't like my Pontiac Grand Am when I was there!?!?!?!

When I was out to the Rose Bowl, I got stuck with a POS Pontiac Grand AM SE. That car was the biggest heap of dung I've driven in a LONG time. I personally hate GM cars the most. Unfortunately out in California Hertz rents GM cars too. I was very disappointed. Fords usually are ok.

The Grand Am has this weird interior with gobs of plastic and cheap material. The gauges are in these tunnels and were not very easy to read. The music and A/C column looked like it was an afterthough, tacked on to serve its purpose. The switches for everything felt like they were going to break when I touched them. The steering was overboosted and vague. The seats were awful, having no lateral or posterior support. Room in the front was limited, as I think my S2000 has more room for the driver.

I still can't understand GM's obsession with making everything automatic. It drives me crazy!

I guess the assume people are stupid or something. You put the car into reverse it locks the doors, you unlock one it relocks it. The valet at my hotel was looking at me like I was crazy. You can't turn the friggen headlights off, it only has AUTO, Parking, On. WTF, I want off. I'm smart enough to turn them on and off, I have an IQ over 3.

Not to mention I pulled the relay for the damn DRLs on the car, and then the normal headlights didn't work right. One was ok, the other was dim. Its a good thing I checked before I threw the thing into the Pacific Ocean.

I don't think I could ever own a GM product, and doubt I would consider buying an American car, based on previous bad experiences in my family. I would possibly consider buying a Ford truck.

I wont have to worry too much about it. I still have 40-some payments left on my S2000.
Old 01-11-2002, 04:24 PM
Former Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 1 Post

Originally posted by elanderholm

Everything about America is shit...i'm moving to Canada!!
Excellent guess what though? you will still have to put up with a neon or cavalier everywhere you look. YUCK!

hehe. My personal opinion is the domestic car companies have spoiler the used car market. They pump out a million of these cars, offer 0% financing, plus $1000 cash back. They beg you to drive their junk away. Then when it is time to sell or trade in you can't.

Stick with imports.

Quick Reply: Are American cars really that bad