Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Am I dumb?

Old 03-25-2007, 07:48 AM
rai

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

[quote name='CKit' date='Mar 25 2007, 07:37 AM'] In your situation, what about combining the niche of the Legacy and the GT DD into one car?
Old 03-25-2007, 01:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As they say, different strokes for different folks. There are plenty of very satisfied Cayman owners/former S2000 owners @ Cayman Club. The S2000 gets plenty of respect over there, but I can't recall reading posts from anyone making the switch. IMO, a test drive (of a likely not broken in/poorly broken in) isn't enough to fully appreciate its qualities. I loved it from the test drive, but have come to appreciate it even more as I made it through break-in and have come to trust it's high, forgiving handling limits.

OTOH, I wish I'd come to the same conclusions, b/c it would have saved me a lot of money! FWIW, this is the first time I've had no aspirations for anything better - the CS is that satisfying.

http://www.caymanclub.net/showthread.php?t...highlight=S2000

My comments on your observations:
1. It has 295 very conservatively rated HP - what did you expect? You can make a Miata faster if you dump the $$$ into it. The CS will romp all over my old SC'd S2000 during normal driving (off boost/off VTEC) situations.
2. You shifted too late. The engine is so flexible that I can usually do my favorite local road in third and forth, not much need to shift if I don't want to.
3. The CS gearbox has great feel, but the throws are longer.
4. I'd say they're in the same ballpark. The S is a little smaller and lighter, but the CS really benefits from the mid engine placement - it feels like it just rotates in the middle.
5. Mine is relatively quiet. You can hear the sweet engine noise, but wind and road noise is pretty subdued - MUCH quieter than my old S (admittedly w/ HKS exhaust when I sold it). I'd be comfortable driving it cross-country, which I couldn't say about the S (partly also due to great interior room and more comfy seats)
6. I've only heard the Bose, and it's pretty good - only real complaint is inability to integrate iPod.
7. '06's are worse than '07's, but Porsche has a fix. Mine does it occassionally over big bumps, but it hasn't bothered me enough to bring it in.

[quote name='CKit' date='Mar 25 2007, 08:03 AM'] I was at the Porsche dealership pricing leases on Cayman S's and thought I should actually test drive one before buying it....

The demo model did not have PASM or Sport pack.

I have to say I was very disappointed! I didn't
Old 03-25-2007, 06:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

CKit: BEST SIG EVER!!!!
Old 03-25-2007, 09:21 PM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris S' date='Mar 25 2007, 01:11 PM
There are plenty of very satisfied Cayman owners/former S2000 owners @ Cayman Club.

I think it's a great car! I think I was expecting too much since I've gotten used to the hp feel of the current S2k setup....

I am very fond of my car and I like the Cayman about as much. I'd buy a Cayman S if I had the choices today... but that car didn't exist back when I started down this road....

Old 03-25-2007, 09:48 PM

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Just sell the SC and get a turbo kit. Pretty much all cars sub 100k will feel retardly slow in comparison. You'll never want to trade her in
Old 03-25-2007, 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by CKit' date='Mar 12 2007, 11:09 AM
Any thoughts?
I think you are really smart for upgrading a already great car.

You got respectable speed, look, convertible. There is really no other better car I can think of to replace your car that is not over $50k.

LS1 swapped RX7, Exige come close, but I like your S2K better.
Old 03-26-2007, 04:24 AM
rai

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris S' date='Mar 25 2007, 01:11 PM
2. You shifted too late. The engine is so flexible that I can usually do my favorite local road in third and forth, not much need to shift if I don't want to.
I noticed when driving the 996 turbo the redline comes up in a blink. I think part of this is due to being used to rev range of the S2000 (AP1).

When I drove the turbo I hit the first gear rev limiter several times. I was only driving it for about 20 minutes so that could be a big reason as I did not get the hang of when to shift.

OTOH the C5 Z06 I drove, I didn't have the problem of hitting the rev limiter.
Old 03-26-2007, 06:04 AM

The problem is that you are comparing a highly modified car to a stock car. Its not a fair comparison. Your car is completely sorted to your preference and its S/C. There is no way any new car will be justified to you. A 911S might be as fast but then you will say its too expensive, not a convertible etc etc. You need to go drive a modified car to a modified car and vice versa. Of course P cars require major $$ for modding.

I testdrove a 911S and didn't like it as much as I like my NSX. Then again, my NSX is completely modded for track use. The NSX is a more visceral experience than the stock 911. I should have expected that.
Old 03-26-2007, 07:01 AM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by MDXLuvr' date='Mar 26 2007, 06:04 AM
The problem is that you are comparing a highly modified car to a stock car. Its not a fair comparison. Your car is completely sorted to your preference and its S/C. There is no way any new car will be justified to you. A 911S might be as fast but then you will say its too expensive, not a convertible etc etc. You need to go drive a modified car to a modified car and vice versa. Of course P cars require major $$ for modding.

I testdrove a 911S and didn't like it as much as I like my NSX. Then again, my NSX is completely modded for track use. The NSX is a more visceral experience than the stock 911. I should have expected that.
I don't know. I had a modified Maxima many moons ago... but even with all the mods in the world, it wouldn't hold a candle to a stock S2000 in terms of fun.

So there's a point where you can't shine sh!t and even at the end of modding you're left with irreconcilable differences... so you move on.

Kind of sounds like I'm talking to Oprah or Dr. Phil, huh?

I thought I was at the end of the modding road and there was still the gap of foul weather drivability... that was the thing that was pushing me to seek a "newer" car. But then I found that there are aftermarket traction control systems that make it safer in the wet, but faster off the line in the dry as well!
Old 03-26-2007, 08:14 AM

IMO:

The S2000 is a keeper. Especially if you already have daily drivers with refinement.

As for the AP2... if what you want is a viceral thrill, the AP2 is a downgrade in just about every catagory. It is a smoother, nicer car, but that is simply the opposite of what I want in a sports car. The power band is a little better, but not enough to justify the loss of the car's edgy nature.

(sorry to beat on this dead horse but since two people suggested an AP2 I felt the neeed to chime in! )