Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Am I dumb?

Old 03-12-2007, 01:34 PM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by pierceman,Mar 12 2007, 12:59 PM
Traction control = wider stickier tires and more seat time
Strong words coming from SoCal....

Just joshing with ya. I wouldn't bother if I lived in Cali. But snow and salt is a different thing altogether. Imagine the most beautiful sunny dry day... and behind every turn there is a 20% chance there'll be a pile of sand or a stream of slush right at the apex.

It's either drive like there's 100% chance of sand at the apex (what fun is that?) or have something that will recognize it and correct if that happens to be the case.

Of course you slow down if you see it, but in the dark or if you happen to not notice... I've found that I'll occasionally invoke the TC even in the FJ (while in RWD mode)... sometimes when it looks dry and adequate... there's a little bit of film or dustiness that breaks traction.
Old 03-12-2007, 01:40 PM
Former Moderator

I'm growing my slush car fund... my only problem is:

If I had $40k burning a hole in my pocket, I'd probably trade in the FJ towards a Range Rover Sport or a used Cayenne Turbo. Both would feel like a significant upgrade.

If I had $90k burning a hole, I'd trade in the FJ and S4 on a used Cayenne Turbo and a new RS4. Both of which would feel like upgrades and get more use than the "fun car."

Now if I had $140k to burn....

But that'll have to wait a few years.
Old 03-12-2007, 05:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went through this same logic when I had my first S2000 (an '01) and was jonesing for an M3. Instead of gettng the M3, I added a VT S/C, Volk CE28N 17's, and upgraded the stereo.

I liked it a lot more until the S/C started having problems. Traded it for an '03 N/A S2000, but w/ handling upgrades and an even better stereo, and was happier w/ it.

One big difference between modding vs. buying a more expensive car is that you retain a lot more % of value w/ the more expensive car.

My Cayman S' fun factor isn't in proportion to the added cost, as the law of diminishing marginal returns almost always applies as you upgrade. But I sure do love it, and have no regrets whatsoever. No amount of upgrades to an S2000 would make it a suitable alternative from a rounded perspective, i.e. fun, fast, but comfortable and relaxing when you want to chill out.

Hopefully I'm done w/ extensive modding, as it seems like I've regretted many mods I've done in the past.
Old 03-12-2007, 05:26 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CKit,Mar 12 2007, 02:09 PM
The only cars that I'd rather have at this point are: Exige S, Boxster S, Cayman S, Carrera S cabrio.
Just solved if for ya.
Old 03-12-2007, 06:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The only thing I can think of would be a C6. If I were in your shoes I'd probably just keep modding the S.
Old 03-12-2007, 08:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Spartikus,Mar 12 2007, 06:10 PM
If I were in your shoes I'd probably just keep modding the S.
I agree. Your have a fine sports car and by adding TC to it will complete your journey. At least, you will know if your desire to extend the driving season of your S is accomplished for a rather insignificant sum as compared to the cost of buying a Boxter S. Further, in terms of the performance and handling abilities of your S, a strong argument can be made that purchasing a Boxter S is not an upgrade, but merely a lateral move.
Old 03-25-2007, 06:03 AM
Former Moderator

I was at the Porsche dealership pricing leases on Cayman S's and thought I should actually test drive one before buying it....

The demo model did not have PASM or Sport pack.

I have to say I was very disappointed! I didn't it. I came away thinking, "That was adequate."

My impressions compared to my current S2000 setup (listed above):
1. The Cayman S felt underpowered in comparison.
2. Redline came too soon.
3. Honda really does make one of the best gearboxes.
4. Had nice agility, but I really couldn't discern a difference during the test drive.
5. Was about as loud and unrefined in the cabin as an S2000 with hardtop and sound deadener... wouldn't be my choice of car for a long-commute daily driver (compared for example to a 911 which does everything well).
6. Stock stereo was as bad as a stock Honda radio... leagues worse than my easy aftermarket stereo setup.
7. There was a big thumping sound of the hatch compressing down when going over expansion joints, about as annoying as the latch rattle (which I've fixed with Shin-Etsu and felt strips)

I felt that it would be completely redundant to add a Cayman S. It's a very, very near overlap with my current setup. The only differences are: the cost of admission, the Cayman looks verrrrrrry nice and shiny, my Honda is markedly faster.

For my current needs and preferences, I guess there isn't anything else out there that suits the niche of light roadster with some mild daily functionality. But then again, isn't the point of modding to tweak a car into exactly what you want... (rather than trying to make it into something that it's not).

That being said, if the Honda was totalled... I wouldn't go through the time and effort of building it up again.... I'd probably just get a Cayman S.

But it's nice to know that the grass really isn't greener.

Oh well, maybe I'll save the money and put a deposit on an S5 coupe for a GT daily driver.... you really can't beat AWD in the wet / snow.

Old 03-25-2007, 06:49 AM
rai

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by CKit' date='Mar 25 2007, 06:03 AM
Oh well, maybe I'll save the money and put a deposit on an S5 coupe for a GT daily driver.... you really can't beat AWD in the wet / snow.
I agree in the snow it's nice to have. Just got a Legacy in October + snow tires and have driven it in several snow storms and it was very easy to control.
Old 03-25-2007, 07:21 AM
rai

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

As for your question about buying a new car to replace your S2000. If you are happy with the S2000 it's not worth upgrading to a new car.

IMO a Cayman S or 911S or Vette (etc.) are very different than the S2000 in their size and engine placements and displacements they would be nice for when you want something different.

As you know, if you are buying up to a 911S for the price of your trade-in it's $50K on top of that, so you could add a luxury coupe like a M3 or GT-R or S5 while keeping the S2000 for the same price.

I am getting tired of my S2000 I just have gears. I'm not sure I want to drop $6K for a SC. I may rather get something different like the Vette or keep the S2000 as is and buy a nicer DD like the GT-R.

I suppose for me, I'd like to upgrade the S2000 to an Elise and have it more as a weekend toy and then get something nicer for a DD like a M3 for example. Lets say Elise + M3 is about the same cost as would be a 911S.
Old 03-25-2007, 07:37 AM
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by rai' date='Mar 25 2007, 07:21 AM
As for your question about buying a new car to replace your S2000. If you are happy with the S2000 it's not worth upgrading to a new car.

IMO a Cayman S or 911S or Vette (etc.) are very different than the S2000 in their size and engine placements and displacements they would be nice for when you want something different.

As you know, if you are buying up to a 911S for the price of your trade-in it's $50K on top of that, so you could add a luxury coupe like a M3 or GT-R or S5 while keeping the S2000 for the same price.

I am getting tired of my S2000 I just have gears. I'm not sure I want to drop $6K for a SC. I may rather get something different like the Vette or keep the S2000 as is and buy a nicer DD like the GT-R.

I suppose for me, I'd like to upgrade the S2000 to an Elise and have it more as a weekend toy and then get something nicer for a DD like a M3 for example. Lets say Elise + M3 is about the same cost as would be a 911S.

Yup, wanted to see if there was something else I'd be "happier with" and for the current 3rd car niche... still haven't found a suitable "upgrade." So now I'm happy with it.

I was thinking that the Cayman S would be a step up, but it didn't feel that way in direct comparison. The 911S (997) did, though.

If I was stock-ish. I'd probably think about picking up a used Elise to replace it. Probably only ~$10k to "upgrade." Then spend the extra money on an AWD GT coupe.

In your situation, what about combining the niche of the Legacy and the GT DD into one car? I can't remember if you're a new car only kind of guy, but maybe a lightly used 996 C4S or new S5 for ~$55k?

Was thinking about putting the money in to trade wife's S4 on an RS4, but I'd have to pry the keys out of her hands....

Quick Reply: Am I dumb?