Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

All cars are luxury cars now.

Old 02-08-2024, 08:40 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

"Most people spend money they don't have, to buy something they don't need, to impress people they don't know". You can apply this to "luxury" cars, McMansions, and boob jobs to name just a few things.

Last edited by H0use0fH0nda; 02-08-2024 at 05:40 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by H0use0fH0nda:
shrykhar (03-07-2024), TommyDeVito (02-08-2024)
Old 02-08-2024, 09:24 AM

Received 111 Likes on 87 Posts

I will bring it back by saying my '22 Ridgeline black edition is more than enough luxury for me these days, which I wouldn't have expected (my first Honda beyond the S2000 and the only new-ish Honda I have been in). Trucks have come a long way. Smooth ride, the truck feels solid overall when you thunk things closed, heated leather, etc. Most of the options I could do without, but damn creature comforts sure are nice. It is quite a contrast from my older Toyotas that don't even have a cupholder. At the same time, as much as I love it, the Ridgeline is a far cry from even an older Lexus. Perhaps a new Honda sedan is closer?
Old 02-08-2024, 09:36 AM

Received 522 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by rwheelz
I will bring it back by saying my '22 Ridgeline black edition is more than enough luxury for me these days, which I wouldn't have expected (my first Honda beyond the S2000 and the only new-ish Honda I have been in). Trucks have come a long way. Smooth ride, the truck feels solid overall when you thunk things closed, heated leather, etc. Most of the options I could do without, but damn creature comforts sure are nice. It is quite a contrast from my older Toyotas that don't even have a cupholder. At the same time, as much as I love it, the Ridgeline is a far cry from even an older Lexus. Perhaps a new Honda sedan is closer?

I mean, within the definition of luxury is the aspect of something being beyond necessity. A vehicle at its core is an appliance for transportation, anything else added beyond the basic purpose are luxuries, and add enough of these luxuries and things become luxurious. I don't necessarily consider status or exclusivity as luxurious, although there are aspects understandably associated with luxury since things that are luxurious tend to be priced beyond the median/average income's affordability.

There was a time when having an electronic starter was a luxury. I grew up in a time when power windows and keyless remote was a luxury. I suppose when luxuries become commonplace, they become the norm, so I'd say they're still luxurious but not exclusive anymore. BMW and Mercedes don't really have a lower tier car to compare itself to, but Acura and Lexus do, and with Acura the differences aren't as discernible as say a Lexus vs Toyota when you consider outside of two GR models, they don't offer any RWD cars.

I think this is why Mazda is taking their stance as trying to blur the lines some because really what really differentiates the entry tier from the upper tier is more effort in the design department and styling. Walking into a new Mazda dealer feels (from an aesthetics standpoint) more on par with Lexus than Toyota which has a very suburband strip mall feel to it. Same with the car designs for the most part.

Fact is, most people can't tell the difference in quality between a Honda leather interior and most upper tier cars, heck most BMW owners think they have real leather for instance.
Old 02-09-2024, 07:52 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 438 Likes on 308 Posts

Originally Posted by rwheelz
I will bring it back by saying my '22 Ridgeline black edition is more than enough luxury for me these days,

I think I have a duality thing going in that I agree with you, but I still understand true "premium". I like Ridgelines, on my list to take a more serious look and fits a ton of needs. But was looking at X3's and they had a recent trade of a '22 Range Rover and it was seriously sweet.

I lam pretty satisfied with your mainstream model upscale interiors. The trick is to stay away from even looking at the really true premium stuff because this voice in your head sees the leather and touches the switchgear and says "OOOOOOOOOHHHHHHH this is NIIICCCCCEEEEEEEE!"

But some brands, and I am thinking of BMW in particular, claim to be a luxury brand and the interior is not that special. I walked around the local Porsche dealer last week looking to drive a Macan and their truly optioned up stuff is really lust worthy, you have to pay a fortune to check every box. I think even Korean brands are doing some really nice feeling interiors today, but when you get to the really outrageously expensive stuff, there is another level. I just don't want to spend to that level.
Old 02-12-2024, 06:51 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,287 Likes on 992 Posts

Originally Posted by H0use0fH0nda
"Most people spend money they don't have, to buy something they don't need, to impress people they don't know". You can apply this to "luxury" cars, McMansions, and boob jobs to name just a few things.
5 posts.
Old 03-06-2024, 11:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Funny you mention older Toyotas lacking cupholders. My first car was an ancient Toyota that barely had a radio, let alone a cupholder! But hey, it did its job. Now, I'm eyeing newer models, and checking out New Car Invoice Pricing & Reviews to see what's out there. You're right, though. While the Ridgeline might feel like a slice of luxury compared to your old rides, it's still not quite on par with something like a Lexus. But hey, maybe a new Honda sedan could bridge that gap? Either way, it's all about finding what suits your needs and preferences, right? Prices for new cars might surprise you with the range of options available nowadays. Who would've thought!

Last edited by franciscakur; 03-14-2024 at 12:02 PM.
Old 03-07-2024, 10:52 AM

Received 215 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDonEffect
heck most BMW owners think they have real leather for instance.
Cough, MBTex, cough...
Old 03-07-2024, 11:43 AM

Received 522 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by Saki GT
Cough, MBTex, cough...
Cough, Alcantara/Racetex, cough.

Old 03-08-2024, 11:51 AM

Received 410 Likes on 305 Posts

Originally Posted by H0use0fH0nda
Post of the year, so far, for 2024!