Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Alfa 4C for USA - 300hp, 2000lbs- Price?

Old 03-06-2013, 08:15 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm usually very open minded when it comes to unique automotive designs, but I have to say those might be the ugliest headlights i've ever seen.

Also, still no final word on US pricing?
Old 03-06-2013, 08:41 AM

Received 121 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol' timestamp='1359739184' post='22308053
Alfa and basically all Italian cars were known for rust, poor interior finishes and strict service schedules.

A major sector of the market remembers days of the Milano/Spyder where parts distribution and dealer service really varied. Others are just not familiar with Alfa since their last car sold here was 1995. Chrysler selling Alfa did not help, but take for instance the GTV6.

In 1985 the GTV6 sold for like 17K while a Porsche 944 sold for 24K; that's a huge difference. As romantic and exotic as Alfa is in the minds of auto enthusiasts, they were not expensive cars.
Well clearly Alfa no longer gives a damn about being an affordable sports/sporty car manufacturer. First the ultra expensive 8C and now the overpriced 4C? Anything over $50k for this car is just obscene, based on what I've heard about it thus far.
Outside of 4c and 8c, the rest is under 50K and has been. Look at Brera, Giullietta, 159...
Old 03-06-2013, 08:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol' timestamp='1359739184' post='22308053
Alfa and basically all Italian cars were known for rust, poor interior finishes and strict service schedules.

A major sector of the market remembers days of the Milano/Spyder where parts distribution and dealer service really varied. Others are just not familiar with Alfa since their last car sold here was 1995. Chrysler selling Alfa did not help, but take for instance the GTV6.

In 1985 the GTV6 sold for like 17K while a Porsche 944 sold for 24K; that's a huge difference. As romantic and exotic as Alfa is in the minds of auto enthusiasts, they were not expensive cars.
Well clearly Alfa no longer gives a damn about being an affordable sports/sporty car manufacturer. First the ultra expensive 8C and now the overpriced 4C? Anything over $50k for this car is just obscene, based on what I've heard about it thus far.
Whoa, not so quick there. What about the upcoming Japtalian Mazdiat roadster? Maybe not as light. And they may withhold the 1.75L 240 HP variant of their "Multi-Air" 4 banger. But if the Fiat variant comes in around 2,400 lbs with more than 200 HP and dare we hope, that folding hardtop for around $30K, I think they'll have a winner.

I'm looking at the 4C as their significantly higher priced "halo car" to showcase what technology they are capable of. I don't think it's intended to sell in high volume. And they aren't going after the Corvette market. This will be an exclusive niche car in the same vein as the Exige albeit with something better than "kit car" quality fit and finish.
Old 03-06-2013, 10:13 AM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by blasphemy101
Whoever put those headlights on this car committed career suicide. Notice most of the shots on the web are of the rear.
Lactiferous ducts. Dead ringer. But with two nipples.
Old 03-06-2013, 10:42 AM

Only thing valuable I got from this reveal is it makes net downforce. That's pretty impressive for a car that will cost much less than 100k and probably has crazy packaging underneath the sheetmetal.
Old 03-06-2013, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
Automotive News on Alfa 4C

The 4C will make extensive use of super-light carbon fiber components until now only found in Formula 1 racing cars and exotic cars like the new Ferrari F150, another Tuesday debut at the show.

The 4C's light body means that the smallish four-cylinder engine can deliver speeds normally associated with high-performance cars.
Not just extensive use of carbon fiber in the body. This thing has a carbon tub! that to me make a big chunk of that price tag well worth it. Here's a 1 minute video that shows the tub.

Old 03-06-2013, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by 200kgg
Not just extensive use of carbon fiber in the body. This thing has a carbon tub! that to me make a big chunk of that price tag well worth it. Here's a 1 minute video that shows the tub.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBEUq...E6aH3fAU0d2Cyg
For once, an Alfa that doesn't rust. Rust has always been the Achilles heel of Alfa Romeo. They are the last true "drivers car" marque for the average buyer.
Sex appeal and driving passion are their first priorities. Alfa will do well on their return to the USA. Buyers are starving stylish cars that full of personality, but they have to be reliable. If Alfa can make the reliability mark, they'll be all set.

Similarly, Renault should re-enter the USA; they're cars are better looking than what Nissan sells here. Megane line up is great, Clio V6; way cooler than an STi or Evo.
Old 03-07-2013, 04:56 AM

Received 281 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k' timestamp='1362586243' post='22384236
[quote name='mosesbotbol' timestamp='1359739184' post='22308053']

Outside of 4c and 8c, the rest is under 50K and has been. Look at Brera, Giullietta, 159...
[/quote]

Originally Posted by SpudRacer
Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k' timestamp='1362586243' post='22384236
[quote name='mosesbotbol' timestamp='1359739184' post='22308053']

Whoa, not so quick there. What about the upcoming Japtalian Mazdiat roadster? Maybe not as light. And they may withhold the 1.75L 240 HP variant of their "Multi-Air" 4 banger. But if the Fiat variant comes in around 2,400 lbs with more than 200 HP and dare we hope, that folding hardtop for around $30K, I think they'll have a winner.

I'm looking at the 4C as their significantly higher priced "halo car" to showcase what technology they are capable of. I don't think it's intended to sell in high volume. And they aren't going after the Corvette market. This will be an exclusive niche car in the same vein as the Exige albeit with something better than "kit car" quality fit and finish.
[/quote]

I'm well aware of Alfa's offerings in other markets and where they stand. But the average ignorant American consumer doesn't know that, and this will be their perception.

On a side, if Alfas are so "sporty" these days then why are all their affordable offerings FWD? That's been bothering me for a while.
Old 03-09-2013, 12:56 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I read in a C&D magazine yesterday that the price tag is gonna be ~$85k for the US market...

Sucks, as I was really looking forward to this car, I'm out of college and getting a career underway and was hoping that this would be my first "big boy car purchase" ...not at that price tag.
Old 03-10-2013, 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by liquid_helix136
I read in a C&D magazine yesterday that the price tag is gonna be ~$85k for the US market...

Sucks, as I was really looking forward to this car ...not at that price tag.
I am waiting 3-4 years for my next car purchase. I hope the 4C will be an option by then. Figure used, they'll be selling around 50K by then? Then again, so will the F-Type. Tough choice. Carbon Fiber body is quite appealing, no more door dings!

Quick Reply: Alfa 4C for USA - 300hp, 2000lbs- Price?