Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

After 6 model years, is s2k still worth buying?

Old 05-07-2005, 03:54 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default After 6 model years, is s2k still worth buying?

Is the s2000 still worth buying after 6 years of duration?

The reason I ask is that I am considering buying one about half a year from now (I know it's kinda early for this thread ), either a late '05 model or if available, an '06. I'm not really considering buying used, unless Honda discontinues it.

I know there are PLENTY of cars in the 30k+ price range, but it seems that none of them appeal to me the way the s2000 does. But the devil's advocate tells me that the car is already 6 years old and will probably end its duration soon, and this is unappealing because I do not want to purchase a car in its final year of production.

None of the other 30k+ cars appeal to me. I can go on and on how the s2000 is pretty much the best overall-performing car you can buy for $30k, but that would require a whole different thread.

So my question is, do you think the s2000 will still be worth buying brand new, in say, 5-6 months from now?

Because I would buy it in a heartbeat right now. But I can't, not at least for a few more months.
Old 05-07-2005, 05:16 AM
rai

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Only cars I'd say are better are Z4 3.0 (maybe) and new Boxster 240hp both costs at least $10K more.

Maybe throw in the SLK350 also $10K more and C6 vert $20K more.

Something like a Miata or Solstice not as good, but a lot cheaper.

IMO no vert in the $32K range is as good as a S2000
Old 05-07-2005, 05:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Every year, lots of people start conspiracies forecasting the end of S2000 production. I wouldn't worry about the model discontinuation unless there's some sort of press release from Honda. I think too many people are hoping for the S2000 to end so they can boast about the exclusivity of their car or hope the value goes skyrocketing like a rare collector's car.

Worth is pretty subjective. It's up to you to justify spending $30k on a great car. On a brand new car you can be at ease knowing nobody else has done any bad stuff to the car. On a brand new car you know you'll get to use the full mileage on the warranty. I think most people on this site will say the S2000 is more than worth its price tag.
Old 05-07-2005, 07:26 AM

I would say you'd be pretty safe waiting another 6 months and buying one if new is really what you want. Heck it took Honda over 15 years to finally throw in the towel on the NSX, so I'd say the S2000 has a decent chance of hanging around. Plus, as has been said, there is no roadster in the S2000's price range that can touch it, save for maybe a (used) Boxster S, but even then the Boxster will be more $$$ to fix.

I'd say look for a low miles 02 or 03 example, as the newer F20C versions will probably hold their value better than 00/01 or 04+ F22C versions. A friend of mine has an 02 S2000 and it is great. But I'm sure the F22C is great too, I just hang out with a bunch of picky S2000 geeks.
Old 05-07-2005, 07:34 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I bought my car in 1999 after driving everything available at the time under 40K and still have it. I have kept it longer than any other car I have owned because it is still entertaining. If I was buying today, still looking for bang for the buck, I would probably stretch for a C6 vette.. in the high forties. I think a Boxster S would be great but just too expensive. IMO neither BMW nor MB offers anything in the same price range that can be as much fun, able to work well getting groceries or running laps at the track.
Old 05-07-2005, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by kenstyle,May 7 2005, 03:54 AM
So my question is, do you think the s2000 will still be worth buying brand new, in say, 5-6 months from now?
I don't see why not. You still have to pay $10k more for an equally well performing roadster from another company.

Then again, I tend to like buying cars later in a model run - the manufacturer has had time to get the bugs worked out.
Old 05-07-2005, 08:51 AM
rai

I'm not saying the S is cheap, but $32K is near the ballpark for an average car these days.

C6 vert costs $20K more and can cost up to $30K more than a S2000 (well until they discount them more than a bit)

Boxster S (clearly superior) costs $$20K+ more.

Elise (very nice) costs (about) $10K more

Notice I'm talking verts. People will say Mustang GT or EVO or STi or GTO etc.. can put a hurt on the S and/or costs less.

However S is a vert. Verts (ususlly) adds $5K to $9K to the price of a car. So bang for the buck, the S2000 is starting from a hole vs an EVO or Mustang etc...

Also (I'm not 100% sure) but the S2000 is still the most powerful car under 2900 lbs. That's something. I mean a SLK350 may be just as fast b/c it has near twice the displacement but it weighs 500+ lbs more. Mustang Vert weighs probably 800+ lbs more.
Old 05-07-2005, 09:09 AM

What other cars are you cross-shopping?
Old 05-07-2005, 09:16 AM
rai

Another thing, just b/c a car has been around, doesn't mean it can't still be the class leader.

Case in point, the M3 has been around near the same time as the S2000 with the new 3-series out already it's a previous gen product. Yet point a gun at my head and tell me I have to buy a $50K car today and M3 + comp package has to be at or near the top of my short list.

One thing I wish Honda would do is spice the S up a bit. It wouldn't have to cost Honda anything much. But they could offer a comp package with lighter wheels, gears, sports tune susp, maybe delete AC and maybe delete power roof, maybe a special color, etc.. That'd cost Honda next to nothing and yet there may be a few people who'd jump all over it.
Old 05-07-2005, 09:55 AM

Thats a great idea, i would be ALL OVER that, and i knew quite a few people who would as well depending on the prices offered..

Quick Reply: After 6 model years, is s2k still worth buying?