Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Advice on a THIRD car

Old 12-03-2003, 04:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice on a THIRD car

Hi Everyone!

I've been lurking on these boards for just over a year now, learning
as much as I can, while waiting for the '04 models to come out (so
that I can get a new '03).

I'm about to take the plunge (I think), but could use some advice on choosing
the beater that I have to buy if I'm to get the two-seater.

I need a no frills, four-door sedan that I can drive to and from work,
cart my two kids in, and make longish road trip during the winter
months. The only requirement is that the car HAS to be reliable and
cost no more than $6500. (Preferably $4-5k). [By reliable, I mean I need
to get 5 years of 10k/year driving out of it w/no expenses other than routine
maintenance.]

Right now I'm looking at '99-00 Chevy Prisms (same car as the Corolla, right?)
and, of course, Civics. Am I better off with a newer, lower mileage Prism
or and older higher mileage Civic for my price range? Or, are there other
(sub)compact sedans I should be looking at?

Thanks in advance for any help,

PCz
Old 12-03-2003, 04:21 AM

For $6500 you should be able to get a bigger car.
A friend of mine is selling his wife's 99 Mazda 626 for that price. AND it is in good condition.
Old 12-03-2003, 06:16 AM
CG

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

[QUOTE]Originally posted by cashout
For $6500 you should be able to get
Old 12-03-2003, 06:28 AM

What about a used Taurus? You should be able to pick one up relatively cheaply. Certainly plenty of space and a decent cruiser. Yeah, yeah, I realize it's an american car.
Old 12-03-2003, 07:32 AM

Chevy Malibu? Try to get a 1996+ Civic, um...that's all I can think of.
Old 12-03-2003, 07:50 AM

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Perhaps a lovingly used 93 Accord? It's hard being on this side of the border to guestimate used car prices in your area, but often, you can pick up a nice 93 Gen Accord for as little as $4-5000CAD.

There is a bit of a price jump with the Gen change year in 94, but you might be able to get into one of those right at, or a tad above your budget. Nothing more reliable, fuel efficient, and easy to maintain. Restrained excitement at best with the 135-140HP 4 bangers, but I do recall that they had very smooth manual and automatic transmissions.

Just my 2c
Asif
Old 12-03-2003, 07:52 AM

the prism is your best bet. It has Toyota quality with american resale prices. You can't beat that. The civic will be older/higher mileage. Mazda/ford have avg. reliability.

you might also look at the older altima or subaru impreza
Old 12-03-2003, 08:04 AM
Zam

You can find 4th generation Maximas for $5-$7k. First application of the mighty VQ engine. It can be had with a manual, is decent looking, extremely reliable (had my 96 for 7 years), and can go pretty good when you need it to. Also, if the urge hits you, you can bolt on a S/C or Turbo.

Just sold mine about 2 months ago...
Old 12-03-2003, 08:15 AM

It's just me, but I'd stick with Honda or Toyota for quality and reliability reasons. If you're taking your family around and making long trips, you might think about moving up a size class to something like an Accord, which might be a slightly more spacious, safe, and pleasant tourer. Like VTEXTC said, the Accord changed body styles in 1994, but while I (and most of america) personally liked the clean styling of the '90-'93 model better, the slightly bulky look of the '94-'97 body seemed to hurt the popularity of the car a bit (IIRC those were the years when Camry took back the bestseller crown) and also resale. But it is still a nice car, more substantial than the old and bulletproof Honda. According to KBB, private party values for a '95 in excellent condition are $61xx, and a '96 about $5-600 more. Do research before buying a '94, sometimes first year models have a couple bugs. There was also a rare wagon if you are into that kind of thing (I'd get one!)

If you don't mind a very remote driving experience, the Camry should be a high quality piece as well. Main advantage to Toyotas in my experience is they are easier to work on if you do your own maintenance.

I believe with a little bit of care and patience you can get a better car private party than you can at a dealer. Not to say all "certifieds" are bad, but I have seen some with all kinds of replacement body panels, painted with a towel apparently, and generally ones I'd walk away from and the dealer did not acknowledge any accidents, just saying "clean title, clean CARFAX, no accidents!".

For a private car, look for something unmodified and owned by a good family. Ask about accidents and check the VIN on all panels. Look for major leaks, funky looking welds in engine bay or under trunk carpet, drive and look for shakes, rattles etc. You can weed out a lot of cars like this, then when you feel like you've found the one you want, take it to a good shop for a pre-purchase inspection. Should be under $100 and well worth it.

Even if you buy from a dealer, check these things. And even if their price is much higher than your budget, don't be afraid to make them a comfortable offer and be prepared to leave. Sometimes they just don't want you to leave

Good luck!
Peter
Old 12-03-2003, 08:18 AM

. oops

Quick Reply: Advice on a THIRD car