Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Added a new horse to the stable

Old 05-02-2013, 11:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Added a new horse to the stable

Pun intended. It's a Boss 302 Mustang. After as much as I've hated Mustangs since I was a teenager, I'm pretty surprised that the day has come when I'd call one of these mine. The domestic manufacturers have definitely gotten their shit together over the years though, and I've been really impressed with some of the cars they've come out with. I was cross-shopping the Boss with a C6 Z06 locally, and the Z06 was definitely faster, but the Boss is a much more fun street car.

I really like the Boss as a complimentary car to the S2000. Both have rev-happy motors, and very neutral handling characteristics, but that's where the similarities end. I love the S2000's wail at redline, but the noises the 5.0 liter Boss engine makes when the side-pipes are uncorked are absolutely amazing. If it was a $40,000 musical instrument alone, it might be worth it. The Boss is also a really great handling car. I was very surprised with how much fun it is. It is very predictable like the S.

I'm looking forward to getting to know the car a little better at some track days
Old 05-02-2013, 12:20 PM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Very nice pickup, you can't argue with the bang for the buck at all. I'm glad you were able to get over the stigma of driving a mustang or corvette. I like the car just can't stomach it myself but wish I could...that probably sounds strange.
Old 05-02-2013, 12:32 PM

Received 39 Likes on 16 Posts

Mustang V8's sound awesome! put a magna flo or some SLP Loudmouths on it... even my shit 4.6L 305hp 2005 GT was fun and loud. I haven't driven any of the 5.0L newer mustangs. I did hvae an 03 Cobra which also sounded effing awesome.... back then the cars shifter sucked along with their handling but the new ones are very nice!

If I didn't already have what I have, I would definately be up for beatin on a Mustang 5.0L!
Old 05-02-2013, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by CosmosMpower
Very nice pickup, you can't argue with the bang for the buck at all. I'm glad you were able to get over the stigma of driving a mustang or corvette. I like the car just can't stomach it myself but wish I could...that probably sounds strange.

It doesn't sound that strange at all, especially not to me. I've been in your shoes before. I've been through a lot of cars and have gotten over my previous allegiances and snobbery. (I'm not calling you snobby, but I definitely was. Pretty hypocritical from someone who used to drive a 1G DSM.)

This car is very comparable to the M3 coupe I used to have. If I didn't have occasional track duty in mind, I would have likely preferred the M3, but I can't even imagine how much it would cost to keep up with the maintenance on an E92 M3 at the track. The M3's interior and refinement are way ahead of the Boss, but I'll be damned if I don't giggle every time I find a windy road in the Boss, or goose the throttle under an overpass to hear the engine sounds bounce off the walls.

Most people would probably call me a fool, but I actually think this car is a good bit more fun than the 911 I had. That probably has to do with the PDK, and my inability to shake the feeling that the tail of the 911 was going to go around a corner before the front. For half the price of the 911, the Boss is definitely a great value.

Still keeping the S though. It is a classic.
Old 05-03-2013, 06:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I really like the Boss. I also was never a Mustang guy but they do seem to get more appealing with each iteration. That 5.0 sound is so infectious and I'm anxious to see if the next gen will be lighter with IRS.

Congrats on the new beast.
Old 05-03-2013, 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by Presto123
I really like the Boss. I also was never a Mustang guy but they do seem to get more appealing with each iteration. That 5.0 sound is so infectious and I'm anxious to see if the next gen will be lighter with IRS.

Congrats on the new beast.
It's pretty incredible what they were able to accomplish with a solid rear axle, so I'm definitely looking forward to seeing what they can do with suspension technology from this century.
Old 05-03-2013, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by bobby.is.rad
Originally Posted by CosmosMpower' timestamp='1367526003' post='22515514

It doesn't sound that strange at all, especially not to me. I've been in your shoes before. I've been through a lot of cars and have gotten over my previous allegiances and snobbery. (I'm not calling you snobby, but I definitely was. Pretty hypocritical from someone who used to drive a 1G DSM.)

This car is very comparable to the M3 coupe I used to have. If I didn't have occasional track duty in mind, I would have likely preferred the M3, but I can't even imagine how much it would cost to keep up with the maintenance on an E92 M3 at the track. The M3's interior and refinement are way ahead of the Boss, but I'll be damned if I don't giggle every time I find a windy road in the Boss, or goose the throttle under an overpass to hear the engine sounds bounce off the walls.

Most people would probably call me a fool, but I actually think this car is a good bit more fun than the 911 I had. That probably has to do with the PDK, and my inability to shake the feeling that the tail of the 911 was going to go around a corner before the front. For half the price of the 911, the Boss is definitely a great value.

Out of curiosity, which 911 did you have?
Old 05-03-2013, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by nofearofdanger
Originally Posted by bobby.is.rad' timestamp='1367527324' post='22515558
[quote name='CosmosMpower' timestamp='1367526003' post='22515514']

Out of curiosity, which 911 did you have?
[/quote]

It was a 2010 (I think) Carrera S Cabriolet with PDK. I had quite a few nit-picks with that car, and when you pay that much for something, it should be perfect. Good looking car though.
Old 05-03-2013, 08:37 AM

Welcome to the club! IMO, I think the engine revs much faster than the S2000 and acceleration can be alarming. I always felt mentally in front of the S2000 but there are times in the Boss where I feel like I'm just holding on. The front end really bites, with sharp turn in and the Torsen diff works well in getting the power down on corner exit.

Have you tried the launch control yet? You'll get perfect launches every time and the TC and SC still let the back end move around a bit.
Old 05-03-2013, 10:57 AM

Haven't tried launch control yet, but I have been pretty happy with how minimally invasive the traction and stability control have been. I've only had to turn off the stability control once since I got the car.

This is probably one of the greatest cars ever created for all around hooning and jack assery.

Quick Reply: Added a new horse to the stable