Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Acura RLX SH-AWD

Old 11-16-2015, 07:59 PM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Anrosphynx
64k in truck sales in one month? What truck? The ridgeline? I find it highly doubtful that Honda sold 64 thousand ridgelines in October.. Can someone clarify this for me?
Since they don't make trucks, who knows!
Old 11-16-2015, 08:47 PM

Received 118 Likes on 68 Posts

That probably means SUVs, no?
Old 11-16-2015, 10:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Um...the new MDX is ugly? News to me. I see those things everywhere too.
Old 11-17-2015, 05:19 AM

Received 281 Likes on 176 Posts

Are you able to order an RLX spec'ed out to your likings at the dealership? I'd find it incredibly odd if you're unable to do so.

I'm guessing that they don't know and/or can't guarantee a delivery date?
Old 11-17-2015, 05:27 AM

Received 234 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by rob-2
Notice it's TLX they're selling more of along with rdx. Mdx flat, rlx no mention.

When you cannot walk into a show room and buy their flag ship car with tech launched in 2014 there is a problem.

You can Honda fan boy it all you want. Family ready to drop $70 OTD with Honda on a product they promote and claim is available. Not easily done.

As for Honda's 11%, it's not vastly better then others. FCA up 15%.
Thanks for the ammo.

Fact 1: FCA was up 15% for October (only). They're only up 7% for the year (year over year difference)

Source: http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...300171156.html

For Acura to be up 9.6% on the year is excellent for a luxury brand. BMW is only up 5.4% and Mercedes is up 6.1%. On the flip side, Infiniti and Audi are killing it even more (13%+)! So, Acura is "mid-pack" for growth but they're nowhere near being run into the ground because you can't walk in and pick up the car you want off the showroom floor.

Fact 2: You can order an RLX eSH-AWD. You said it yourself: it's just not readily available on the showroom floor. Neither is a Cayman GT4. Neither is an Audi RS7, in some areas. Get over it. If they want it, order it. Someone can and will order it for you.
Old 11-17-2015, 05:28 AM

Originally Posted by Mr.E.G.
That probably means SUVs, no?
Yes - "Trucks" includes SUVs.
Old 11-17-2015, 07:50 AM

Received 427 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by JonBoy
Originally Posted by rob-2' timestamp='1447711911' post='23805061
Notice it's TLX they're selling more of along with rdx. Mdx flat, rlx no mention.

When you cannot walk into a show room and buy their flag ship car with tech launched in 2014 there is a problem.

You can Honda fan boy it all you want. Family ready to drop $70 OTD with Honda on a product they promote and claim is available. Not easily done.

As for Honda's 11%, it's not vastly better then others. FCA up 15%.
Thanks for the ammo.

Fact 1: FCA was up 15% for October (only). They're only up 7% for the year (year over year difference)

Source: http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...300171156.html

For Acura to be up 9.6% on the year is excellent for a luxury brand. BMW is only up 5.4% and Mercedes is up 6.1%. On the flip side, Infiniti and Audi are killing it even more (13%+)! So, Acura is "mid-pack" for growth but they're nowhere near being run into the ground because you can't walk in and pick up the car you want off the showroom floor.

Fact 2: You can order an RLX eSH-AWD. You said it yourself: it's just not readily available on the showroom floor. Neither is a Cayman GT4. Neither is an Audi RS7, in some areas. Get over it. If they want it, order it. Someone can and will order it for you.
year over year growth % doesn't mean much if you're starting near the bottom. Aren't overall total sales fairly anemic compared to the other "luxury" brands? (I didn't care enough to look it up, but I don't think their total sales are that great).

I get the TLX is a good value, the MDX/RDX is a good value, but that's it. What happened to the Type R models? I want an 8,500rpm Acura again that is FUN to drive that won't cost six figures.

Just because Acuras are selling okay doesn't mean Honda is doing a good job. If you have a 30% growth potential, but you only are getting 10%, that is a fail in my book. Build a line of cars where "kids" buy the Integra, then when they get married and have kids, they move into the TL SH Type S with 320hp 7,500 VTEC engine, then as they mature in their careers, they buy a M/AMG type Acura SUV with a 450hp TT V6 engine and SH-AWD and then near retirement, they buy the hyper car Acura NSX.

No matter how enthusiastic you are about Acura, they just aren't making aspirational cars. They make good value cars, but that's it. There used to be enthusiasm for Acura/Honda products and there just isn't much/anything to choose from at this point.

I grew up loving Honda (5 gen Prelude, two Civics, S2000, etc.), but I moved on a long time ago. I've spent $400k+ on other brands of cars that could have gone to Honda/Acura because I still have a soft spot for them, but they make nothing I really want. And I'm just one person with a decent amount of disposable income that Honda/Acura isn't attracting anymore.

It's sad because they have the ability and engineering prowess if they really want to make something....
Old 11-17-2015, 09:24 AM

So when Honda builds cars that we love, but sales fall flat because no one actually buys them (new), Honda is awesome. Then, because they need to actually make money on their cars, Honda listens to the BUYING public, shifts their focus to vehicles that most people want AND WILL BUY, and now Honda isn't impressive because their YOY growth...isn't to your expectations and you don't want their cars anymore? I get the personal opinion but the general perception is far different than yours.

Did you buy your S2000, Civics and Prelude new (all of them)?

10% YOY growth isn't good? What is - a random number from your head? No one is getting 30% growth (best is 13% range) in the segment and lots are getting less than half that.

Honestly, the only thing that would please you would be for Honda to make the cars that no one bought when they did make them (in general). No, they don't have a massive SUV with a big boosted engine but the sales of those vehicles is miniscule anyways, in all segments. It'd make you happy but it'd be another RLX - low sales with no real return on investment.

The simple fact is, you're one of the 0.1% now and there are a very few select companies that make what you want (because there aren't many of you out there). That's just life. It's not reasonable to expect Acura to fight for your dollars in those segments. They do have the NSX that could and should push your buttons but realistically, even Mercedes and BMW don't really make the car(s) you want. Audi sort of does (R8) but otherwise, you're moving to the big sportscar manufacturers or Chevy with an overheating supercharged beast.

You're focused on what Acura doesn't make. How many others don't make those vehicles either? And how many of them are still getting big YOY growth numbers and record sales?

I'm not an Acura fan, overall - they make good, reliable vehicles and that's the only type of vehicle I'd consider from them (NSX aside). But they make cars that people trust and if I wanted to keep a "near luxury" or "luxury" car a long time, I'd only consider them or Lexus. End of story. But I'm not one of the 0.1% and I still have to watch my shekels because I don't like losing five figures in two years on depreciation..
Old 11-17-2015, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k
Are you able to order an RLX spec'ed out to your likings at the dealership? I'd find it incredibly odd if you're unable to do so.

I'm guessing that they don't know and/or can't guarantee a delivery date?
No awd in new body style. The only version is the hybrid which cannot easily be had never mind test driven. We won't buy a car we cannot drive.
Old 11-17-2015, 10:50 AM

Jon let us bash Honda and don't take it so personally.

Quick Reply: Acura RLX SH-AWD