Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Acura RLX SH-AWD

Old 06-07-2015, 02:44 PM

Received 121 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by rob-2
Also walking into either dealership doesn't feel the same as it did just a few years ago. You had options for a range of places in life. It now seems Honda is just focusing on teens through to young families. They aren't allowing their customers to grow with the brand.
Good observation
Old 06-07-2015, 05:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your dealer is wrong. Do they not check Acura.com? Lol
http://acuranews.com/acura-automobil...eature-content
Old 06-07-2015, 06:40 PM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Adamb18c5
Your dealer is wrong. Do they not check Acura.com? Lol
http://acuranews.com/acura-automobil...eature-content
Well we were there June 5th.

What a class a screw up. Remove it from the site and tell dealers it's been dropped. The brand manager for Acura US needs replacing.
Old 06-08-2015, 12:36 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm a two-time Acura owner and nothing in their current lineup intrigues me. Very disappointing.
Old 06-09-2015, 08:26 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

My dad just picked up a 2015 RLX Hybrid new, and the dealer knocked 10k off the price to move it. It has 377hp/3677tq if I am not mistaken, and sounds like a great vehicle. Not sure I'd say it is a vehicle for my age (yet) but when you compare it to the other cars in that class, it has a good advantage over the others in price and long term reliability.

That being said, Acura needs to bring back the Integra / RSX type of coupe for younger buyers. Not everyone wants a 4 door ILX that is within just a few $$ of the next model up.
Old 06-09-2015, 12:52 PM

Received 100 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by rob-2
just by the dealership to learn this has been pulled from the line up. NO SH-AWD in gas or hybrid trim.

So I asked about the NSX deliveries and the sale guy checked with boss man. They didn't think anything was shipping for 2015 but would be happy to take my number if I wanted to put an order in when they had details.

We are a long time Honda family going back to 1991. We left the show room not seeing anything on the floor we'd want to buy. We currently have 3 Honda's in the family. Two versions they don't have a replacement for and the MDX which has been ruined for the recent model year.

How can these guys stay in business?
The bolded part is laughable... this is Honda. They sold over 6k HR-Vs in the first TWO WEEKS on the lot, without any advertising and with a single, weak engine choice. Their bonuses don't depending on shifting 500 RLX's a month vs. 300.

With that said, I get what you're saying and it's been a LONG drought. Honda continuously shows reluctance to step up investment to get Acura into the real luxury game. Every single vehicle is based off of a lesser Honda (Accord, Civic, or Odyssey/Pilot), complete with engines that are hardly different, either (K24, J35/37, good engines and all but...). So those who say that Acuras are just tarted-up Hondas are pretty much right. The only true standouts are the excellent SUVs (though again, FWD/Honda/minivan-based) and the hybrid drivetrain in the RLX, although the marketing and production for that were royally screwed up (debuted as FWD only, then had the press drive pre-production SH-AWD hybrids, then delayed to market, then pulled from market and put back on without even telling dealers apparently).

I do have faith that the new NSX will be awesome, but what does that do for Acura? $150k flagship hybrid supercar and the next-highest Acura is a $60k SUV and a $60k sedan which shares a similar drivetrain but is impossibly bland, based on a $23k Accord, and basically only bought by a couple hundred retirees a month (if that)? I just don't see the direction in moving Acura upward. I'm glad the NSX is happening, but I don't see what they're going to do with it unless a dramatic shift is coming very soon after, which is highly doubtful.
Old 06-09-2015, 02:34 PM

Received 118 Likes on 68 Posts

One thing to keep in mind is that at least some of the cars we know as Acuras here are literally just up-model Hondas elsewhere. So maybe the new NSX will do little for Acura, but it will be welcomed as a king-of-the-hill Honda. In other words, I think Honda can justify a lot of its decisions based on what good it does for Honda (domestically or abroad) and anything it does for Acura is just icing on the cake.

Not saying that's a good strategy (or even that I'm accurate in that assumption), but I could see that being the case.
Old 06-09-2015, 03:16 PM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

@white was thinking Acura brand. Seems like it's nearing a flop.
Old 06-09-2015, 03:22 PM

Both Acura and Infiniti seem super-weak in my mind, as far as being the upper tier of their respective parents companies. Although IMO Infiniti is much worse off in terms of offerings. Acura at least has some good base products on which to base their offerings. Nissan's just suck - ugly and outclassed in almost every respect in every car, with the obvious exception of the GT-R.
Old 06-16-2015, 04:06 PM

Just looked at the Acura website. Looks like June 3 (according to Edmunds.com), the new 2016 came in. There is no SH-AWD gas version, but the hybrid SH-AWD version is still alive.

Quick Reply: Acura RLX SH-AWD