Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Acura RDX (the good one)

Old 03-11-2014, 11:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I threw up in mouth, and not just a little bit
Old 03-12-2014, 08:46 AM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by stockae92
I threw up in mouth, and not just a little bit
This.
Old 03-12-2014, 05:29 PM

Flashpro was just released, so mods are beginning to trickle in. It is now possible to increase the injector size, boost, and tune for a good intake & exhaust.

When stock, there is a tiny bit of turbo lag before 3-4K (regular Honda style ), but once it kicks in the power is instantaneous. A stock Flashpro-flash gets rid of this behavior.

Sh-AWD is magical. Makes it feel a lot more agile than it should be. (it does cause a bit more tire wear, cause tires are used more in the bends compared to regular awd or fwd) . It's no S2000, but it does make a great sound too.

All 2010 and up models have Bluetooth (calls + audio streaming), and a rear view camera integrated into the rearview mirror. Seats are supportive, and each remote has its own memory. So when you unlock with different remotes the seats & side mirrors move for you!

The privacy protector for the trunk (prevents people from spying on the trunk, can be reversed and used a trunk-liner for dirty stuff- its rubber underneath.

Gas mileage isn't the best, but it makes up for it with fun!
Old 03-12-2014, 06:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My brother had one with upgraded turbo,exhaust and what not. He had it reflashed by Church. It was quick for being a suv. He ended up selling it for a new Sti.
Old 03-13-2014, 06:00 AM

I seriously looked and like the RDX but it was just too close in price to a similar year MDX which has third row seating and more room. Having 3 well modified twin turbo cars in the garage proves that I would have had a hard time leaving another turbo car stock so I went with the MDX instead.
Old 03-15-2014, 04:49 PM

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

My sister has a 2010 RDX and she really enjoys it. I'll reiterate what most have already said, but the gas mileage is not very good. I tried to drive the car without going into boost (has a small boost gauge to help control your right foot) and it took me 30 seconds to get to highway speeds. Once at highway speeds, its almost impossible to not go into boost when trying to accelerate. She's averaging high teens in mixed driving. The car's steering, while hydraulic, doesn't feel very progressive, and has some weird feedback when going around corners; it feels like bump-steer. I'm not sure if this is just an issue with this specific car, or I'm just spoiled by driving other non-SUV vehicles. The car is also an absolute dog off the line, with brake boosting not helping much. I thought it was a programming issue, and it seems another poster reinforced my hypothesis, so hopefully a flashpro tune would sort it out. From speed, the car will quickly merge and has no problem getting out of its own way. It has gearshift paddles behind the steering wheel, which hold the gear to redline when in sports mode.

While this seems like I'm being overly negative, there is lots to love about this car. It is quite comfortable, with lots of electronics, including bluetooth audio GPS, CD changer, IPOD input, controls on the steering wheel with redundant buttons on the dash. It's got leather, heated front seats, mood lighting, and a pretty good sound system. The actual display (GUI), including GPS maps, audio text and fonts seem to have been taken off a 80's computer, but notwithstanding, at least used, this car is a great value.

I think the biggest issue I have with this car is that it's trying too hard to be both a cruiser and sporty in nature. The car is quiet at speed, but gives a decent sound when going WOT, and handles well around smooth corners, but is then overly dampened over bumps causing passenger's heads to get tossed around. While the car quickly accelerates, the 5 speed automatic is geared so long that it's almost impossible to feel like you're part of the experience. This is not to take away from the car, as I am certain I'm not its intended audience.
Old 03-16-2014, 07:40 AM

One of my big concerns is the 5-speed auto, which seems pretty archaic even for Honda in 2010, so thanks for calling that out. What *wasn't* one of my main concerns was the gas mileage but now that everyone has made mention of that - holy crap! My wife is getting 17-18 mpg on mixed driving with our 2012 Grand Cherokee with the V8 .

If we were to down-size, I'd want to find a bigger boost in fuel economy.
Old 03-17-2014, 07:24 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I really wanted this to be an option when my wife’s 1st gen CR-V got totaled.

On the used market, an older RDX runs awfully close to a comparable CR-V.

The mpg’s kept us from it. The CR-V gets close to 30………If she didn’t commute to work, maybe.

The MPG’s combined with the need for premium gas meant the cost per mile would have been much higher than another CR-V (she ended up with an ’09)
Old 03-17-2014, 08:04 AM

Received 193 Likes on 119 Posts

I have not driven one of these yet, but its on my radar to replace my old Jeep Cherokee this summer. My jeep gets 14/16mpg, so the RDX is an improvement in fuel consumption there lol.
Old 03-17-2014, 08:21 AM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by adrs2k
I have not driven one of these yet, but its on my radar to replace my old Jeep Cherokee this summer. My jeep gets 14/16mpg, so the RDX is an improvement in fuel consumption there lol.
I've had it as a loner car. Everything about the ride quality is reasonable for it's urban suv design. The MPG sucks and I wouldn't buy one if you're looking to replace teh Cherokee for improved MPG. If you want more 'truck' same MPG but can move more people, MDX. The RDX is basically a sedan jacked up.

On our radar should we not find a 1-2yearold MDX will be a land cruiser. I like leather cabin tanks

Quick Reply: Acura RDX (the good one)