Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Acura RDX (the good one)

Old 03-10-2014, 07:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Acura RDX (the good one)

Of the small SUV's, the previous gen RDX with the turbo-4 always struck me as the best-looking and possibly overlooked for a sleeper family car. AWD, turbo, cargo capacity and good looks - seemed like a winner to me.

Anyone ever own and try to mod one, or know of anyone who did? What's the 2.3 motor in this, some version of the K-series?

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaand... you know its a Honda because this sht still happens to it:
Old 03-10-2014, 08:54 PM

Received 80 Likes on 65 Posts

I hate those doors so much
Old 03-11-2014, 03:24 AM
Community Organizer

Received 185 Likes on 163 Posts

That looks RHD too.
Old 03-11-2014, 05:36 AM

Received 234 Likes on 165 Posts

Hondata has an excellent ECU flash for these cars.

http://www.hondata.com/reflash_rdx.html

http://www.vtec.net/forums/one-messa...&page_number=1

As noted in the TOV thread, with the 2nd cat removed, intake and custom 3" exhaust, a tuned RDX put out nearly 50 hp and 50 ft-lbs over stock (at the wheels) so figure closer to 60 hp / 60 ft-lbs at the crank, along with better fuel economy.
Old 03-11-2014, 06:25 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 160 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by JonBoy

As noted in the TOV thread, with the 2nd cat removed, intake and custom 3" exhaust, a tuned RDX put out nearly 50 hp and 50 ft-lbs over stock (at the wheels) so figure closer to 60 hp / 60 ft-lbs at the crank, along with better fuel economy.
My wife drives a 2009 RDX. We love it. The turbo is small so it spools quickly and has a nice band of torque right where you need it for daily driving situations.

The only complaints I have about it are the stiff ride. It can be pretty harsh over bridge's and general roughness in the road. It handles extremely well though. We have full winter snows on it for the winter and I have never driven anything better in the snow. The SHAWD blows away similarly setup friend's subarus, SUVs, etc.

I do plan on getting the reflash for it at some point, but do keep in mind that Hondata did release the Flashpro for it as well... which was huge, because some people with intake AND exhaust were seeing some lean conditions with the reflash.

One other thing to keep in mind, my wife drives 90% highway with hers and averages 18mpg. She doesnt have a heavy foot or anything like that, the turbo is small so it is in boost a lot of the time on the highway, which eats gas... premium gas required at that.

All in all, really fun little SUV to drive. We love ours!
Old 03-11-2014, 06:52 AM

Received 39 Likes on 16 Posts

great picture...

my dad has a 2010 RDX and likes it other than the fuel economy.... if that flash does get 50+ hp it should be a 14 flat qtr mile machine..? pretty good for reasonably priced suv.
Old 03-11-2014, 07:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That interior looks sick!
Old 03-11-2014, 08:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think it's about to transform into a robot.
Old 03-11-2014, 08:31 AM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

It's a photochop pic folks!

Originally Posted by Dizings2k
Originally Posted by JonBoy' timestamp='1394544986' post='23056788

My wife drives a 2009 RDX. We love it. The turbo is small so it spools quickly and has a nice band of torque right where you need it for daily driving situations.

The only complaints I have about it are the stiff ride. It can be pretty harsh over bridge's and general roughness in the road. It handles extremely well though. We have full winter snows on it for the winter and I have never driven anything better in the snow. The SHAWD blows away similarly setup friend's subarus, SUVs, etc.

I do plan on getting the reflash for it at some point, but do keep in mind that Hondata did release the Flashpro for it as well... which was huge, because some people with intake AND exhaust were seeing some lean conditions with the reflash.

One other thing to keep in mind, my wife drives 90% highway with hers and averages 18mpg. She doesnt have a heavy foot or anything like that, the turbo is small so it is in boost a lot of the time on the highway, which eats gas... premium gas required at that.

All in all, really fun little SUV to drive. We love ours!
We were looking at getting the RDX but with MPG the same as the MDX we're getting one of those next year instead. SH-AWD is truly the nicest platform out there. My subi can get stuck but the SH system never does - father has the RL with it.
Old 03-11-2014, 11:50 AM

Received 177 Likes on 125 Posts

The older RDX's would be appealing if they didn't get such terrible gas mileage. High teens highway is horrible.. and as someone said, premium at that.

Quick Reply: Acura RDX (the good one)