Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Acura 3.2 CL Type S 6 speed

Old 08-26-2007, 12:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Acura 3.2 CL Type S 6 speed

I'm considering picking up a 2003 Acura 3.2 CL type s 6 speed w/ 70k miles for $13k...I know the 6 speed is rare so is this a good deal? I have a friend who had an auto type S and it was pretty quick with a nice interior. If anyone has any experience or knows some pros/cons to the manual version of this car i'd really appreciate it.
Old 08-26-2007, 12:36 AM

Are you buying pre-owned and pre-certified? I have a friend who has a 2005 TL with 6 speed. He also cross-shopped the G35 coupe. Though he liked the G35 styling better, the TL was the better choice for the money. I was with him when he test drove it and he specifically mentioned that the shifter was much smoother and tighter in the TL. As far as cons I have not heard any, but it always good to do background research on reliability ratings and potential defects. (You may want to check msn.com autos for that model year.)
Old 08-26-2007, 12:41 AM

I've been reading mainly positive things about this. The 6 speed also comes LSD...It seems like a great deal if it has the usual great Honda reliability. I know the automatic version has transmission issues, but so far I'm only reading good things about the manual. The TL is out of my price range for a DD
Old 08-26-2007, 08:13 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

Cl's and the tl's from those years are pos's. My brother has a 01 Cl Type s and it has gone through 6 trannys so far albiet it is an auto. its a comfortable daily but not too reliable at least not the autos. i am not to sure about the 6speeds though
Old 08-26-2007, 09:07 AM

The current manual transmission TLs do not have the automatic tranny problems you guys are talking about.
Old 08-26-2007, 09:12 AM

I owned an '01 auto. Very comfortable, luxury car. Didn't have transmission problems, though many did. If you push the car, you'll need better brake pads. The stocker's warped easily. Also, the stock all-season tires were terrible wet or dry. The 6 MT and LSD would have been nice.
Old 08-26-2007, 09:19 AM

I dont think you will be disappointed with the current gen TL. The engine and brakes and tires are up to the challenge and a step up from the previous gen TL (which was a good car). When Acura dropped the CL the TL also filled the slot of the CL in terms of performance. Unless you really prefer the driving dynamics of a RWD car, the TL is an excellent choice.
Old 08-26-2007, 11:42 AM

I remember C&D thinking highly of the CL-S 6-speed when they reviewed it. It's got some torque steer to be sure, but it's hard to argue with a near-luxury car that's only 4 years old, has a nice 6-speed and nice power figures. I considered getting one last year, but none were available when I was looking (they don't seem to be common at all), so I went with something else.

I say go for it. It won't have the one problem the CL/TL-Ss are known for: the auto tranny.
Old 08-27-2007, 02:01 PM

Great car. The manual won't have the tranny problems of the automatic. Only problem will be resale value (not many people out there want manual luxury sedans).

We had a 2000 TL (non-S, automatic), and even though it ate transmissions (3 total in 80K miles) and the interior was slightly cheaped out compared to a German luxury car, it's still a nice ride and extremely reliable (except for the tranny).
Old 08-27-2007, 02:50 PM

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

i have a 2004 tl with 6 sp and nav...the o3 is a different car. the manual with my car comes with lsd and a stiffer front suspension...and brembo front brakes, it is a great combo...yes there is torque steer, this is no race car, but it is a great car with superb build quality and luxury features that rival state of the art 4 years later. i would opt for a 2004 as it is greatly improved over the 2003, there is no cl available, only a 4 door, but the differences are many. just for your information.

i can see 32 mpg on highway, and this is a highway car that excellent at long distance trips...average every day is 23 plus mpg...i really like the style of the 04 tl over the 03 cl, again 4 door only.

enjoy. oh...no manual trans issues, only the clutch uptake on the car is an aquired taste and not adjustable. the clutch also has a clutch delay valve like my S2000 has from the factory and traction control ....

Quick Reply: Acura 3.2 CL Type S 6 speed