Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

According to Mitsubishi...

Old 08-25-2010, 11:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, I am sure "for" that.
Old 08-26-2010, 12:28 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

This is the definition i think a sports car should have:

2 or 4 seats.
Engine that is designed for speed in mind.
Limited Slip Differential
RWD or AWD
Can reach 0-100km/h reasonably fast
Does not understeer into every ****** corner
Make Epic Engine sounds
Manual only or Autos with an actual clutch

This is the definition i think a sport sedan should have:
5 seater, possibly 6
RWD or AWD
Engine that is designed for speed in mind
Limited Slip Differentials
Can reach 0-100km/h reasonably fast
Does not understeer every corner
make epic engine sounds.
Be comfortable to drive around daily
Automatic or Manual

Back to the subject though, i don't think the eclipses that were FWD should be counted as a sports car... that thing is a sad excuse for one. Got one to drive as a rental car, it nose dived every turn, and torque steered coming out. Car felt like it was floating at speed. Steering was vague and not communicative. Gear box was notchy as ****. And felt cheap in general. (when i say cheap, i mean worse than miata, the new ones of course) And this was the V6
Old 08-26-2010, 03:12 AM

Originally Posted by MBHs2k,Aug 26 2010, 02:27 AM
Everyone keeps saying that eclipses aren't sports cars but since when is a Miata considered a true sports car. Its was built to be a cheap car that was reliable that happened to have 2 seats and be RWD. In fact the MX-5's today are still built around that same platform and are not meant to be sports cars in anyway in my eyes. Just my 2 cents...........
LOL

Your two cents are wrong.
Old 08-26-2010, 02:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MBHs2k,Aug 26 2010, 03:27 AM
Everyone keeps saying that eclipses aren't sports cars but since when is a Miata considered a true sports car. Its was built to be a cheap car that was reliable that happened to have 2 seats and be RWD. In fact the MX-5's today are still built around that same platform and are not meant to be sports cars in anyway in my eyes. Just my 2 cents...........
RWD is a really big advantage the Miata has on the Eclipse in this regard. From a vehicle dynamics standpoint, the Eclipse is massively inferior. FWD simply doesn't balance rotating and gripping the road well (in engineering terms, it has issues getting a good yaw momentum vs. lateral acceleration relationship).

If we're talking about the sport of driving, going as fast as you can, FWD really is antithetical to the idea.
Old 08-27-2010, 09:20 AM

that is all very true. The biggest factor keeping the eclipse from being considered a sports car is the lack of AWD/RWD. Now they were in the makes of an eclipse ralliart. Never happend :/ but google it. would have been a decent car, instead they created the lancer ralliart. Oh well...
Old 08-27-2010, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by rockville,Aug 24 2010, 10:20 PM
The Mustang handily outsold any other sporty car in the US. We can argue if the Mustang is a sports car but it certainly is a "sporty" car and it's sales numbers are something like 9 million.
Ford isn't Japanese though.
Old 08-27-2010, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by KingVen,Aug 27 2010, 10:07 AM
Ford isn't Japanese though.
I don't recall saying otherwise. It was simply a point of reference.
Old 08-27-2010, 10:33 AM

Received 522 Likes on 400 Posts

Sportscars- pretty much any car that has performance capabilities beyond the basics. To elaborate a little, cars designed to inject a certain level of recreational enjoyment geared towards an aggressive driving style into the driving experience (because some people find things like hypermiling or trying to achieve the best mpg in priuses fun).
Luxurycars- pretty much any car that has amenities beyond what's considered basic for its time (like ac these days aren't considered luxuries whereas in the 60s it was).
My two cents.
In that sense, the eclipse is a sportscar, and in 1g and 2g turbo awd form were, imo, successful. The 3g and 4g eclipses are technically sportscars, just, again imo, not successful ones.
The miata is a sportscar, although most would consider it more of a confection than a racer (I buy into it being a sportscar for the record) since alot of the owners just enjoy it's ease to own, droptop, relatively guilt free driving experience vs. its autocross capabilities.
Old 08-27-2010, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by rnye,Aug 25 2010, 11:08 PM
You guys are retarded.

Best.Sports.Car.EVAR.

You beat me to it ...
Old 08-27-2010, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by 21337R,Aug 26 2010, 03:36 AM
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/sportscar

sports car
noun
Definition of SPORTS CAR
: a low small usually 2-passenger automobile designed for quick response, easy maneuverability, and high-speed driving

What if the sport is drag racing? Or maybe a desert rally?

IMO, that definition is very deficient.

Quick Reply: According to Mitsubishi...