Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Accident Questions

Old 06-04-2007, 04:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Accident Questions

OK, so here's what happened: I was stopped at a red light, first in line. Lady comes up behind me and stops, and behind her a black mustang. About 30 seconds after we were all stopped, I hear a loud honk behind me and suddenly my car is bumped. I get out and so does the lady behind me, she looks confused and we look at each others vehicle. My rear bumper LOOKS fine and her front plastic liscense frame is cracked a little bit. So, I try to be the nice guy and say 'eh don't worry about it I don't see any damage to my car' and there was nowhere to pull off of the road near so we exchanged names and phone numbers in case anything further happened, just didn't see a need to report it. I get home, get out of the car and inspect, sure enough I missed something important. Right over the rear taillight the bumper was pushed out a little, exposing some of the plastic clips. So I call the lady up and she says that she was still driving and will return my call when she gets home.

Questions to you guys: Does it look like this is going to bite me in the ass for not calling up 911 and getting a police report on this? Apparently being a nice guy is a bad thing.
Old 06-04-2007, 05:04 PM

I think I'm ****ed. Its been an hour now and she should have returned home some time ago and still no call. So I called her cell and house with no answer.... ideas?
Old 06-04-2007, 05:28 PM

You should always get their insurance info. I hope you at least got the license plate # so your insurance co, can figure out where she lives. If she doesn't volunteer who her insurance co is, your insurance may just put a collection agency on her and make you pay the comprehensive deductible until she pays up.
Old 06-04-2007, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by jasonw,Jun 4 2007, 05:28 PM
You should always get their insurance info. I hope you at least got the license plate # so your insurance co, can figure out where she lives. If she doesn't volunteer who her insurance co is, your insurance may just put a collection agency on her and make you pay the comprehensive deductible until she pays up.
I have her home address. Her house phone is busy and her cell phone is going to her voice message.

Yeah I know about always getting insurance info, I guess I wanted to be nice and just not make it into a big deal b/c we both didn't see any damage...learned my lesson the hard way.

Old 06-04-2007, 06:11 PM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

She must have been hot.

Always exchange insurance information. You don't have to report it, but can if you have to.
Old 06-04-2007, 07:11 PM

Received 215 Likes on 148 Posts

Just call and leave a message stating you will call the police and file a report. Then do that, then call your insurance company and tell them you want Miss. X's insurance to fix your car - the insurance company will be going after that company regardless, so it doesn't hurt to have them in the mix.
Old 06-05-2007, 07:35 AM

wait, so did the mustang hit her and she got pushed into you? if thats the case why the heck didnt you get the mustang's info?

dont call your insurance till every option is exhausted...