Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

aCab's Side Project - K24 swap into Miata Chassis

Old 03-17-2013, 09:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default aCab's Side Project - K24 swap into Miata Chassis

A few friends and I are swapping a K24 into my 10th Anniversary NB Miata. Initial goal is 230whp/190tq.

Read more here: http://www.k20a.org/forum/showthread...08#post1778708

As posted in the above link, by k20a.org member magicDC2
I have been laying low on the forum for the past few months, but I have some exciting news for the K series and Miata communities.

With the help of a few close friends, we are building what we believe to be the first K swapped Miata. Best of all, once we have it up and running (summer of 2013) and have some seat time on track, I plan to make all essential swap parts available for purchase. It's putting the cart before the horse a bit, but just wanted to let everyone know that this is not just a one-off swap, but one I hope can be easily duplicated by fellow racers.

As a K24 integra track car owner, as well as a Miata owner, this swap just needed to happen. Honda reliability, and a 2000 lb. RWD chassis with legendary handling is going to make the perfect track car, or even daily driver.

Best of all, we expect this swap to cost us less than most popular K swaps into the EG, EK, and DC2 chassis, as we are using the stock Miata trans (5 or 6 speed), stock rear diff with Torsen LSD, stock shifter, driveshaft, radiator, axles, etc. As you can see from the pics, the miata has TONS of room for this motor. Although we are mocking this all up with a cheapo k24a1 motor, the eventual plan is a 230+ whp 190 wtq k24a2 setup. Stock bottom end, just some cams and dual valve springs (maybe even use the stock TSX cams). We will be using an S2000 manifold with an adapter plate, which should be ready to install in the next week or so. Clutchmasters is supplying me with a custom flywheel that will allow any Miata clutch kit to be used.

Biggest part of the project is the crossmember mod, which is still in process but will be done this week. While this first car will have a chopped, tubed, and welded stock piece, we plan to do the next car with a full tubular crossmember similar to the V8 swap kits. Next car we do should be a bolt on swap with no welding needed.

I feel this swap has some distinct advantages to other Miata power upgrades. I feel it is a better choice that a turbo setup because we will make more power out of a mildly modified K series build, and it will keep things cool and reliable on track. V8 swaps are cool, but less practical for road racing, they add 200 lbs., and require much more modification and parts that our project. V8 swaps require welding, custom driveshaft, new rear end, axles, and the list goes on. Finally, f20c and f22c swaps have been done, but as we all know, a k24 has much more all motor potential than these motors, it has VTC, and more aftermarket support. Plus using the stock Miata trans simplifies the swap and keeps cost down.

Anyway, enough talk, here are pics of our first few hours of the swap. The goal is to shake this car down at Gingerman Raceway by the end of May 2013. Stay tuned :thumbsup:
Old 03-18-2013, 07:14 AM

Nice.
Old 03-18-2013, 07:57 AM

Received 39 Likes on 16 Posts

that is pretty cool.... i know when we raced NASA Honda Challenge a K24 in a 6th Gen Civic could destroy me on the straights.... what will the final weight be (roughly?)....
Old 03-18-2013, 08:05 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 438 Likes on 308 Posts

Awesome. Can't wait to see how it turns out.
Old 03-18-2013, 08:14 AM

This is a project I can get behind! Very interested in the final product.
Old 03-18-2013, 08:27 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Awesome, this should be fun to follow.
Old 03-18-2013, 10:07 AM
Community Organizer

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

LOVE IT! Good luck with the swap.
Old 03-18-2013, 11:20 AM

Received 522 Likes on 400 Posts

Didnt know a k24 would bolt right up to a miata trans. Cool project.
Old 03-18-2013, 12:33 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDonEffect
Didnt know a k24 would bolt right up to a miata trans. Cool project.
It won't, a custom adapter plate is needed.
Old 03-18-2013, 05:40 PM

Received 118 Likes on 68 Posts

I will have the be the wet blanket here but I just find something lame about swaps from other makes. If this was an MZR swap into the Miata I would love it, but if you have no inclination to keep it all Mazda it just opens the door for questions regarding the conspicuous absence of an LS engine.

I get it, different strokes for different folks / it's nice to do something original / other equally sound reasons, but I just never have been able to get behind such swaps, notwithstanding an appreciation for the craftsmanship involved.

This is the part where you all tell me how much I suck...

Quick Reply: aCab's Side Project - K24 swap into Miata Chassis