Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Absurd thinking...Porsche Cayman

Old 08-29-2008, 06:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chrisbert,Aug 29 2008, 08:10 AM
Not complaining about the base, rather saying if you are going to make the move then make it all the way to the top of the line version.

Otherwise, keep the S and go FI.
Keeping the S and going FI doesn't provide any of the Porsche's qualities - it just makes the S faster, worse handling, and less reliable.

Believe it or not, plenty of people are quite happy w/ their base Caymans, esp. nowadays considering what great gas mileage they get.

It's often been said that it's more fun to drive a slow(er) car fast than a fast(er) car slow, and I can relate having had cars across the full spectrum of hp. IMO, the CS feels "just right" for a street car, but others may feel the same about a base Cayman, esp. around tighter roads &/or more traffic congestion.
Old 08-29-2008, 07:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris S,Aug 28 2008, 08:35 PM
Da Hapa, I agree w/ #2, but I'm not so sure about #1 after installing the OEM SSK. Travel may be a tad longer, but it's smoother and it seems impossible to grind 2nd (or any other) gear. I can't count how many times I grinded on quick 1-2 shifts in my S2000's.
I never ground gears in either of my S2K's and I'm yet to grind a gear in my 997S.

But even with the Porsche SSK in my 911, I think the gearbox in the Honda is superior.

The clutch, on the other hand, is a different story.

But that's just one man's opinion.
Old 08-29-2008, 03:06 PM

Were it my money, I have to say that a 987 BS/CS is the one car that I'd be willing to trade the S for (realistically -- I'm not going to afford a GT3 or a R8 or something similar any time soon). CS preferred for track duty. Right now, though, I am not sure I'd say the same for the base models, which are good, but not enough of a jump in performance over the S to justify the added cost.
Old 08-29-2008, 07:15 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDonEffect,Aug 25 2008, 08:20 AM
Could someone explain to me how Porsche engines run so clean that they only need to change their oil once ever 20K? I mean, for 200 bucks thass incredibly cheap especialy if you're factoring in using syn.
And I'd be the first to admit that I have no personal experience with owning a porsche, but my assumption that maitenance and repair costs will exceed that of a non P/German car is warranted, but if you're under warranty and will likely to sell it within 5 years anyway, what difference does it make right?
I love the cayman, great car and looks awesome, a different kind of value from the Corvette and if they were the same price (which would still make the vette a performance bargain) I'd probably take the Cayman, maybe even a little more. But with the difference between the two, I could pickup a nice used luxury car which will satisfy my luxury cravings.
In the long run as a used cayman and vette prices get closer in the used market, it'll definitely be tempting.
I'm not going to present you with a mountain of evidence here but if you do some searching I think you will find that the 15k-20k interval has been determined to be too long by many enthusiasts.

Another point about oil and the S2000 is that in the in the 06-08 models which have the intelligent maintenance minder the oil change interval is nearly 5k miles with spirited driving. This is calculated assuming a mineral oil is used. You could probably close to double it with a synthetic.
Old 08-29-2008, 07:31 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You gotta drive both. I personally wouldn't make an investment in the platform without getting the best motor possible, which means getting the S. I will be looking at hard at the GDI Cayman S when it comes.
Old 08-30-2008, 10:12 AM

I've been thinking of getting a Cayman S myself, as I feel that the base Cayman would not be much of a step up from the S2000 performance-wise. But then I keep hearing about a lighter, 330 - 350 HP 370Z and I am more inclined to hold off and go with the Nissan instead.
Old 08-30-2008, 01:34 PM
Former Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

THAT'S IT...I DID IT TODAY...I DROVE 'EM BOTH!

Let me start by saying, OH MY FAWKIN' GAWD!

I drove a 2008 Cayman w/5,500 miles and it was nice...decent power and it handled pretty well...

BUT ENOUGH ABOUT THAT...

We return to the dealer and I drive an '07 Cayman S. WOW...just wow!! I used the word "substance" with the sales lady.

The Cayman S has substance. I was immediately IMPRESSED and a nice wide smile filled my face as I merged into traffic...I quickly turned off a side road and really enjoyed the car. Wow...again, the drive was absolutely awesome!!

Without a doubt...I know which one I want now.

Cayman S = FTMFW!!!
Old 08-30-2008, 02:06 PM

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

told ya
Old 08-30-2008, 06:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good deal, glad you got to experience a CS!

I got some track time on mine today for the first time in quite a while, and was reminded why I love it so much. It outran everything in my run group (a few of which ran off the track trying to stay ahead), and made it look easy. Never wants to spin, and understeer/oversteer balance is super easy to control w/ the throttle.

Car is bone stock (unless you count the OEM short shifter I added), and I've never done anything but an oil change (no alignment, brakes untouched, etc.), yet it was fantastic on the track ex. in comparison to my friend's highly modded one. On the way back home, it was really comfortable, and I got 26mpg @ 80mph.

I've been lightly entertainin the idea of trading it for a family-friendly sporty car (i.e. STI, 335, etc.) since I have a kid on the way, but that idea is off the table after today!