Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

997S Vs. R8 Vs. 997 GT3. Vs. Z06 Vs. AMV8

Old 01-24-2007, 09:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How about a 996tt-997tt? I'm pretty sure it has a backseat, and should be faster than your neighbors sons older sisters best friends schwinn bicycle.
Old 01-24-2007, 09:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wish I had the problem of making this decision

Personally, I would mark the 997s off the list because I don't think it's worth how much it costs. It's fast, but not too fast. Face it, 355 hp isn't much by today's standards. Styling wise - I just can't get excited about it. Particularly around here in LA where you see as many 911s as you do civics. However, it is a great car, I just don't think it's special enough to warrant the price tag.

The 997 GT3, on the other hand, is a whole different story. I got to drive one today and I was blown away. The sound, the feel, the grip - everything about this car is sensory overload. I loved it. Although it's quite a financial step up from the 997s, I really feel that you're getting a much much more engaging car that's worth the price of admission.

The R8 is quite a looker. But I've rarely been impressed with Audi's performance cars. Every Audi I've driven (even the RS4) felt a bit removed. However, I'm absolutely in love with the R8's styling and build quality on Audis is always top notch.

If ya could swing a V8 vantage, I would seriously consider it. Its got decent performance, but it makes up for any deficiencies with killer looks and a barking exhaust note. I would say that the V8 vantage is the best styled car currently in production. Gorgeous!

The Z06 is a monster. But I just couldn't buy a chevy. The build quality and stlye of the interior is atrocious and that alone would stop me. It's a great bargain, but if ya got the cash, I think a GT3 would be a much more enjoyable track machine/canyon carver. Performace numbers would be similar but I feel the GT3 is like a scalpel and the z06 a sledgehammer. Style wise and exclusivity wise - the Z06 also looses in my book.

Good luck!
Old 01-24-2007, 10:04 PM

I am also toying with the idea of changing cars. I like the CaymanS, but it would be much more practical due to family reasons to have two cars with a rear seat (current: Landcruiser, GTI, S2000). So instead of three cars just two, both with rear seats and one of them a combined dd/trackday/autox/weekend toy.

At the moment I am half seriously debating with the wife over 997 / 997S. I am really at a loss explaining why I need the +30hp of the S for the rather significant markup in price.

For now I think I would be quite happy with this;

Base 997 with following options;

Transmission / Chassis
Sports Suspension (- 20 mm) including mechanical rear differential lock P17
Sports exhaust system XLF
Sport shifter XCZ

Wheels (one 18" set for semi slicks and these for dd)
19 inch Carrera S wheel 403

This works out quite a bit cheaper than a 997S and I think it would be a fun car to drive. Any thoughts or comments?
Old 01-24-2007, 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by MDXLuvr,Jan 24 2007, 08:01 PM
2. R8 - I am not quite sure about its looks but the specs are impressive. It mid engine, looks nice on the inside. But no true racing pedigree like the P - cars.
No racing pedigree? Audi R8 and R10 (I think) have been dominating LeMans for years.

Any of those cars is fine, fine, fine. Personally, I think I'd choose the R8, based on looks alone. But then I'd have to drive all of them extensively before bringing one home.
Old 01-24-2007, 11:18 PM

keep the nsx, none of those will be more enjoyable to drive, imo
Old 01-25-2007, 12:04 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Save just a tad more and get the 997TT only because of the backseat.

Love the GT3 but if you really need that backseat then the TT is your best bet.

Also, with the awd you'll be alright and safe on most roads during inclement weather (given good tyre choice of course) with your son in the back seat. Another reason why the R8 is nice but seriously the wait list is massive and still hate the U.S. compromises.

I don't have money to blow on a car like you but maybe have you considered getting a legacy with awd to haul the family and pick up a used Gt3 for DD? Shoot get anything cheap (but safe) to haul the fam.

What does your wife drive? Just take her car? If she's not around it's only going to be your son and yourself... and he'll grow up fast... :-)
Old 01-25-2007, 12:56 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by s2kpdx01,Jan 24 2007, 11:19 PM
used Ford GT?
still going over 150k
Old 01-25-2007, 01:03 AM

Never liked this car mucn until now.
Old 01-25-2007, 03:32 AM

Originally Posted by DesertRat,Jan 25 2007, 02:04 AM
I am also toying with the idea of changing cars. I like the CaymanS, but it would be much more practical due to family reasons to have two cars with a rear seat (current: Landcruiser, GTI, S2000). So instead of three cars just two, both with rear seats and one of them a combined dd/trackday/autox/weekend toy.

At the moment I am half seriously debating with the wife over 997 / 997S. I am really at a loss explaining why I need the +30hp of the S for the rather significant markup in price.

For now I think I would be quite happy with this;

Base 997 with following options;

Transmission / Chassis
Sports Suspension (- 20 mm) including mechanical rear differential lock P17
Sports exhaust system XLF
Sport shifter XCZ

Wheels (one 18" set for semi slicks and these for dd)
19 inch Carrera S wheel 403

This works out quite a bit cheaper than a 997S and I think it would be a fun car to drive. Any thoughts or comments?
I believe if you add up all of the options the carrera S comes standard with (PSM, 19"s, xenons, sport steering wheel) in addition to the bump in displacement, the extra costs begins to make sense. Otherwise, the base carrera is an excellent car
Old 01-25-2007, 04:25 AM

just out of curiosity, how much does a used gallardo go for these days??

Quick Reply: 997S Vs. R8 Vs. 997 GT3. Vs. Z06 Vs. AMV8