Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

91 nsx or..... your exisiting s2000?

Old 12-30-2003, 02:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What makes you guys think the NSX is really expensive to maintain even for a 13 yer old one? Do you guys know this for a fact or you just guessing? Sure, if you blow the NSX engine and opt for a brand new one at dealer prices it is expensive, but most people who have some sort of engine problem don't really have to buy a brand new complete engine. My 92 NSX has 85K miles on it and it runs perfect. Routine maintenance was done and cost only a little more than any other V6 Honda/Acura engine like my Acura Legends. Quoting dealer prices, my Legend T belt and water pump cost about $1000-$1200. My NSX cost about $1200. Routine maintenance on the NSX is generally only a little higher than routine maintenance on the other V6 cars. Insurance on my NSX is only $12 more a month for full coverage than my Legend. It is under $1100 a year for me in Hawaii which often has a little higher insurance rates. Performance on a 3.0 NSX and S2000 is very comparable with a slight edge on the NSX IMHO. Maybe it is not much, but given two pro race car drivers I feel they will turn faster times in the NSX. But that is just my opnion. A mid engine car has a totally different driving experience and feel than any front engine car or even a rear engine car. All in all, I'm not really sure why people think the NSX is so expensive to own and maintain. repairs are only a little more than the V6 Honda/Acuras as I have mentioned, insurance is often cheaper than even the S2000, the NSX even 13 years old if it had a good maintenance history is no more prone to breaking down than any other Honda/Acura. The 91-96 NSXs are all great cars. They are not slow. They are mid 13 to high 13 cars stock. It can be made fast of you wanted it to be.

If you are saying you just don't like used cars and only buy new cars than I can see your argument. If you are saying you rather have a new S2K than a well taken care of 91 NSX simply because it is 13 years old and might fall apart, than I think you guys really don't have much personal experience with the NSX. I love the S2K. It is a great car. It rivals the 91-96 3.0 NSX in performance. It cost much less brand new. I persoally like the hard top option because I don't like convertables. The SK2 drives great. The 91 NSX drives great. When it is all said and done, both cars are great. People buy the car they want. The SK2 doesn't give me the same level of axilliration as the NSX does. I'm not saying the S2K is low, but the NSX is just higher for me. It may be the other way around for you. There have been a few NSX owners who have traded their cars in for an S2K and like the SK2 better. There are also many S2K owners who either have both or sold their new S2K for a used or new NSX. I have a few friends that did just that. One of them had a modded Supra TT, bought an S2K, now bought a used NSX. He also has a new G35 Coupe too and a classic Deuce Coupe hot rod as well

Anyway, if you like a new car vs used car than fine. But don't make a use NSX out to be a money pit with high repair cost when it really is not too differnet than the current Acura cars. Judge each car fairly with true facts and not what you think is facts. As I said before, the S2K is a blast to drive the few times I had the pleasure of driving one. The NSX for me was just on a higher level. This was just my personal feel. I would still love to buy an S2K, but only to compliment my NSX.

To the original poster, just go out and drive one. Not a crappy one but a good example. If you like and want to buy it, go for it. If you don't, keep the S2K. There were a lot of new cars I could have bought including the S2K and BMW and some other cars. After driving the NSX it made me a believer. It was what I personally was looking for in a car. This past year I spend about $400 in maintenance on my NSX. A big cunk of that was $150 for a front widshield weather strip. Another $150 was for an aftermarket aluminim coolant tank and coolant flush. The rest was for oil filters and oil.
Old 12-30-2003, 03:20 AM

Originally posted by 94NSX
Read how the other half argues about it.

Click.
Your point about truely being able to afford the NSX is well taken. However, this goes the same for a brand new S2000 or any car for that matter. If one is struggling to upkeep a S2K now than I agree with you not to buy a used NSX or any car that cost $30K+ for that matter. But, if you can afford a an S2K I feel you can seriously consider a well taken care of used NSX in around the same budget. You do run a risk of catastrofic failure on a used NSX in which you would pay out of pocket rather then if it happened under warranty on a new car, but the odds are in your favor that something like that will not happen. While your NSX ownership was not the best, it may not be the same for everyone else. Everyone has a slightly different driving position, or pedal position preference, or seating confort level. Different driving skills may compliment one car over the other for different people.

The best advice we all could give him was to just go out and drive one for himself. Then follow up on reseaching that car and the NSX in general. Then decide if he want's to buy it or not. We shouldn't talk anyone out of buying any car if it strikes a certain vibe that he like. People like the WRX and EVO. I don't.

To those who think NSX owners are biased toward the NSX. It is probably true. However, remember that we were all in the same boat as many of you were. We once knew nothing about the NSX and asked many of the same questions. We have also considered many other great cars along with the NSX. Some choose to go elsewhere while some of us choose the NSX after becoming intimate with the car. So yes, now we are biased, but at one time we were neutral or even biased against the NSX. There have been many converts made only after a good drive in an NSX.
Old 12-30-2003, 04:10 AM
rai

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

To sum up my position, I have always thought the NSX was one of the best cars ever. But the straight line performance of the 91 NSX while great at the time is shy of a lot of new cars EVO is one that you can have for $30K. If it's mid to high 13's then the new S2000 is going to be near as fast. Here is a link with the S2000 doing 13.8sec @100.5mph LINK.

So we have a 13 year old car that's not especially fast by today's standards. EVO/STi come to mind as faster.

Or a brand new "no questions" car that is near as fast.

I think if it were a 3.2L NSX I'd more likely go for that.

BTW it's a strong statement as to how great the NSX is if someone sold an EVO to buy one.
Old 12-30-2003, 09:41 AM

shift get the nsx,

i picking one up too. its a 97-t, and to all that say "the evo and sti r just as fast" fine but try keeping upat 160 to 170 mph and tell me if its not fast enough for u.. evooand sti great cars for eveyday use and fast but on on the same playing field as a nsx. also try taking a off ramp in a evo or sti and the nsx will take it a higher speed , when talking about sports cars thats what we r talking about right,
evo or sti LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and about money who cares you'll get aloan and be in debt is that what life is all about, then u die, no know where anyone will be in five years or in the next week, u can die anytime, so live life and have fun..can never go wrong witha honda...
i do have a 95 legend 197K
my00 s2000 29K
99 eslcade 94K
97- NSX-T 31K(this week).
now only if honda will make a full size suv and i'mm all done..........
Old 12-30-2003, 09:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by ChrisK
What makes you guys think the NSX is really expensive to maintain even for a 13 yer old one? Do you guys know this for a fact or you just guessing?
I'm assuming that I'm one of the people towards which this is directed. I have never owned an NSX, but I consider what I posted common knowledge.

The only argument I'm making is that a thirteen year-old car with thirteen year-old hoses will be more prone to failure than a two year-old car with two year-old hoses. I don't know how you can rationally dispute this. That doesn't necessarily mean that the older car will be a "money pit with high repair cost" (words that neither phoenix9999 nor I used, but which you attribute to us anyway), but it does mean that the risk of failure is higher in an older car than a newer one. The fact that your particular car has been trouble-free is great, but it doesn't negate the above statement.

It follows that, if you're stretching your budget to buy a $30k car, that the more prudent course of action would be to opt for the newer car with a lower chance of failure.

Again, I don't know why the NSX owners here are reacting as if they and their cars are being attacked or insulted -- nothing could be further from the truth.

Steve
Old 12-30-2003, 10:00 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by S2kChi-Town
shift get the nsx,

i picking one up too. its a 97-t, and to
Old 12-30-2003, 10:01 AM

Originally posted by PedalFaster
Again, I don't know why the NSX owners here are reacting as if they and their cars are being attacked or insulted -- nothing could be further from the truth.
Agreed. It's not my intent to impugne the NSX or its owners.
Old 12-30-2003, 10:15 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Z06-KILLR
Old 12-30-2003, 11:36 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by S2kChi-Town

I don't know about KS but in chicago we do have these thing call highways, and when i do see its safe and clear i do let it out, Have u ever taken a road trip long open highways r all over the us.
Old 12-30-2003, 01:20 PM

Cool...I will get out of Kansas some time and make it to Illinois where there are highways in which you can endanger lots of people....

Did u even read what i wrote: I said" when i see its safe and clear i do let it out: i do know for a fact i am not the only one..."who said anything about endanger alot of people;;
Its like i
'm doing 160 in middle of rush hour and the tons of cars on the road: I don't know about u but have u everbeen out past 12:00 or even later the road in some parts of the burbs out here is like a track..

LOL: An EVO and STi are NOT sports cars????????? heheheehe, funniest crack I have read all day.
me too they don't belong i know!!!!!!!!!!

Well, of course, you live in Chicago so you "must have"....Well, I guarantee there are plenty of "non-sports cars" that will put a whoopin' not only on your car...but not to worry, it is NOT your car that is lacking, but the driver.
Can uu list these non sportscars that can put"whoopin"on my car or on me!!!!!!!

"Enjoy being in debt" r u saying you have no debt....................?
u own everthing!
i am will to bet my income to debt ratio to yours anytime !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: 91 nsx or..... your exisiting s2000?