Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

91 nsx or..... your exisiting s2000?

Old 10-03-2004, 05:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Markbert,Oct 2 2004, 03:09 AM

Why a 99 and not a 98 or 97? They are the same damn car. None of them have a factory warranty, they are both 3.2L 6 speeds. Hell, even the color choices didn't change (in the US) from 97-99. If you had said, get a 97+ I could understand that.
Yes, they are the same damn car but one is 1-2 yr older.

It's just a personal preference. I would never get an used car more than 5 yrs old, especially for a sports car.
Old 10-03-2004, 08:03 PM

I think your opinion is a little strange, but do appreciate you taking the time to clarify it.

I would personally shop based on milage, maintenance, overall condition, options, colors, PPI results and price would before year, especially between the 97-99s. To each his own I suppose.
Old 10-03-2004, 08:12 PM
Banned

'91 NSX is too damn old. I'd give up my S for a '97+ though.
Old 10-07-2004, 07:03 AM

This is a great thread, lots of information from owners and fans of both cars
As for me, personally the NSX and S2K are both on my 'favourite cars of all time' list. If you'd asked me this question, or if I had the option to choose 3-4 yrs ago I would probably have gone with the NSX. In fact, as geeky as this sounds...I've gone over this situation in my head before, even going so far as to write down their stats, quote people's statements on both cars in a comparison writ.

Unfortunately, I've never had the chance to drive an NSX before in my life. But if its as good as I've heard, I'm sure it'll meet my expectations. Right now though, I wouldn't give up my s2k for a 91 NSX. It wouldn't make any financial sense, + I love having a convertible, and performance-wise they're close enough. I actually checked out an early model NSX a week ago, granted it wasnt in the best condition...but it kinda looks dated nowadays. The sleek lines are still great and all, but the interior and the stock wheel package reeks of the 80's. If I were to get an NSX, and more importantly if I were to replace my S2K with one, it would definitely be a 97 + model with the 3.2L and 6spd. Like I said though, I've never driven either variant (3.0L & 3.2L) so my opinion doesn't mean much right now. Who knows, I may drive an earlier model NSX one day and just fall in love with it. I'm already almost certain I'd love the 97 + version.
Old 10-07-2004, 08:19 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Actually, part of the reason I sold my '01 S2k for a '91 NSX IS THE FINANCIAL SITUATION. The S2k can still depreciate big time....a high mileage NSX; especially an old one, has already hit rock bottom.

Before you start hammering me about maintenance issues, the only thing I've had to change was the timingbelt/waterpump. That part was supposed to be chaged at 90K, but apperently it wasn't ever changed until I took a look at it. It was at a 140K and still running strong!!

Alot of folks ASSUME that an NSX will cost more to maintain than an S2k. They're full of shit...especially since most of them have never had the experience of owning one. I believe its the other way around....the NSX has no soft top to replace due to wear'n/tear. Thats a shitload of money right there as soon as the warranty goes out. Not to mention replacing the plastic window if it ever yellows or due to negligence, degrades.

Again, just speaking from experience.....
Old 10-07-2004, 08:39 AM

Old 10-07-2004, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by cyber_x,Dec 26 2003, 12:27 PM
Every forum is going to be biased in favor of its respective car...personally, I'd stick with the S2000 if it's going to be a daily driver and primary car. I think a lot of us have considered this same decision. I went with the S2000 because I put a lot of miles on my cars, and I believe the S2000 will cost less to maintain in the long run. I don't know that for a fact, but it's a gamble I made.

Now, if this weren't my primary car, or if I were wealthier, I'd probably have gone with the NSX. They're a joy to drive and obviously look great. If you have money to cover maintenance, then go for the NSX. Hell, you only live once...
I second that notion!
Old 10-07-2004, 10:22 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE]I think driving a $90,000 car while in med school would SCREAM "attention whore" and not endear yourself to your classmates and the residents/attendings who will be grading you.
Old 10-07-2004, 04:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by VTEXTC,Dec 26 2003, 04:28 AM
I'd keep my S2000 over a 91 NSX. Despite being a Honda, there are maintenance issues with all 13 year old cars. In addition, I've had my S2000 from new, and know how it has been treated since day one. Again, that can't be said with the used NSX. Finally, having driven an older NSX myself, I'm hard pressed to find much of a performance differential between the two cars. This is merely a subjective observation and open to debate. Unless I could afford a brand new one, I think I'd settle for my S (If you can call it settling)

Asif

I'm glad he said it so, I don't have to type it.
Old 10-07-2004, 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by Saint_Spinner,Oct 8 2004, 02:19 AM
Actually, part of the reason I sold my '01 S2k for a '91 NSX IS THE FINANCIAL SITUATION. The S2k can still depreciate big time....a high mileage NSX; especially an old one, has already hit rock bottom.

Before you start hammering me about maintenance issues, the only thing I've had to change was the timingbelt/waterpump. That part was supposed to be chaged at 90K, but apperently it wasn't ever changed until I took a look at it. It was at a 140K and still running strong!!

Alot of folks ASSUME that an NSX will cost more to maintain than an S2k. They're full of shit...especially since most of them have never had the experience of owning one. I believe its the other way around....the NSX has no soft top to replace due to wear'n/tear. Thats a shitload of money right there as soon as the warranty goes out. Not to mention replacing the plastic window if it ever yellows or due to negligence, degrades.

Again, just speaking from experience.....
Actually, I wasn't really referring to maintenance issues at all. When I spoke about how it wouldn't make financial sense, I meant that I'd already committed myself by purchasing a relatively new car. I've only owned it for 2 months, so it just wouldn't make sense to switch cars now. I'd love to be in the situation where I could have both of them in my garage...which is a possibility in the future. As good as I imagine the NSX will be, I know I'll always love the S2K.

Quick Reply: 91 nsx or..... your exisiting s2000?