Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

91 nsx or..... your exisiting s2000?

Old 12-30-2003, 07:30 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by TEGSTEG
Old 12-30-2003, 08:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i had a choice of getting a new s2000 or used nsx, i know the nsx is more of an "exotic" per se, BUT i always wanted a brand new car...a car that only was driven by me. i can always buy a brand new nsx in the future.

IMO, a used car is another persons problem. thats just me though, im sure you can find reliable used cars out there but i don't want to take that chance.
Old 01-04-2004, 12:28 PM

ChrisK has brought up many good points about the NSX. I myself was in the position of having to choose between an S2000 or an NSX. I have spent countless hours on NSXPrime, researching what owning an NSX would cost me from actual owners' experiences. Believe me, it's really not that bad. Like ChrisK has stated, it's not much more than any other typical Honda/Acura. People rarely report of any major failures. Just because the car is 13-14 years old doesn't neccessarily mean it will turn into a maintenence nightmare. If the previous owner took care of it and had all the schedule matinence done, you should have no more worries buying the NSX over any other brand new Honda/Acura. With that being said, finding a well cared for NSX is the most difficult part of the NSX ownership journey. That's what stopped me from purchasing an NSX. I just couldn't find one in the condition I wanted. Although I now own an S2000 I will always long for an NSX. My search for the "one" still continues. I know, I know, I'm a traitor . But I will say this of my S2000, it's the absolute next best thing!!!! And after owning one, the NSX will not take its' place. But instead, will hopefully be joining it in my garage one day. Best of luck on your decision. I'm positive that which ever car you pick, it will still have you looking like this . Happy motoring!!!!
Old 01-04-2004, 01:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE]Originally posted by da_illist_onE
And after owning one, the NSX will not take its' place. But instead, will hopefully be joining it in my garage one day.
Old 09-27-2004, 11:38 AM

I was gonna just sit back and read the wealth of knowledge being passed around but now I have been insulted! Now in their own right both the Evo 8 and the STI are great cars. However, to even remotely argue that they are sports cars is asanine. I am 18 years old and I personally picked my S2000 as my Graduation present (yes I know I am lucky). I got flamed by half of the illeterate idiots at my high school ( I got the car 3 months before gradutation) because I have an accelerated taste in automobiles and instead of wanting a 4 door rally car turned racer, I chose to pick the more refined more raw, real, true, sports car. To be exact yes, and S2000 or an NSX does outhadle an Evo or STI! no argument. I know from personaly experience that I can outdrive an S2000 vs. an EVO/STI. I h[B][SIZE=7]I have #'s to prove it!!!!! [SIZE=1] If you want the #'s look Brawl at the Mall #'s posted in the Carolinas Forum. I will also add that this was my first auto-x ever, and that I had only owned the car for a few months. I threw down faster lap times than both MODDED evos/sti's alike. I know I was running A stock (but they aren't real strict about class rules, it's more fun that way). My S2000 was bone stock by the way. So just for you argument about an STI or EVO outhandling an NSX, I don't know for sure, I have get to be given the wonderful opportunity to drive one, but I know for sure without a doubt that I can drive my S2000 better than the average Evo/Sti driver can drive theirs. Am I an exceptional driver??? I honestly think I am, but dosen't everyone I am only 18 and have a lot less experience than a lot of others, but I do feel I am more than capable of handling my car.

Now with all that aside, I am interested in this thread, b/c I am considering a lightly modded 91 NSX and getting rid of my S2K. Why not have the flagship instead of it's little brother??? Check my previous posts I have went to war for the S2K many times before, but from a realistic approach the NSX is a better car for the TRUE avid Enthusiasts IMHO. It is the ULTIMATE Honda
Old 09-28-2004, 02:35 AM

just get both.....
Old 09-28-2004, 02:02 PM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Keep the s over a 13 year old car. Even though it's a Honda it's more likely to give you heartache. In college and then med school you need reliability. A car that won't break down will allow you to concentrate on your studies and things taht are more important. When you finish with residency then buy your super exotic brand new. I bought my s at the beginning of residency. Next year I will either keep it or get another sportscar. My options are very much greater and I don't have to stress about dropping some serious cash if I decide to.
Old 09-28-2004, 03:09 PM

I bought a brand new NSX back in 98 and I absolutely loved the car. I bought everything I can from Comptech, except the supercharger, and had Santa Monica Acura install it all and it was still under warranty. Attended 5 track events and the car is simply awesome. I drove it pretty hard and never had any problems. Can't say the same for a few of the german cars I owned.

I bought the car for $93k out the door and probably spend another $15k on it. I lost my ass off when selling it the next year for $63k.

A couple of points:

Never buy a car when it first comes out. There are issues that don't show up until the car has been on the road for a little bit.

You will not like this car stock after driving around in a S2000. It will feel too soft (suspension wise)

If you really want a NSX, wait a little bit and get a 97 or newer. The 3.2l engine is a lot faster and can keep up with today's sport cars.

There are simple maintance procedures you will have to do, which you will have to do with all 13 year old cars. Hoses, filters and who knows what else. I am not sure you want to get into those issues if your funds are limited.

Just something to consider.

Out of all the cars I have owned I loved the NSX the most. It can be driven everyday and the engine is bulletproof.
Old 09-28-2004, 05:13 PM

Wow this thread got ugly.

Before buying an '04 S2K, I was actually shopping for a '91-'93 NSX. I never found one in the price range I wanted. I was willing to pay $30K "out the door" if I could find one with under 50k miles and in pristine condition. All the low mileage owners asked about $32K which I wasn't willing to pay. To this day, I still wish I kept shopping around. I think I'll just wait until the '97+ models become a bit more affordable before I ditch the S2K.
Old 09-28-2004, 07:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If medical school and residency is within your sights, then reliability is key. My M3 was constantly in the shop during medical school which was a real pain since I would rather study than befriend my mechanic. Recently my S2k got backed into, but I've been so busy in residency that I haven't had time to take it into the shop for body repair. Fortunately, the car still runs and is at least reliable for now. Hopefully I'll have time next month. Can't imagine what would happen if I had an NSX instead.

Quick Reply: 91 nsx or..... your exisiting s2000?