Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

90 Honda CRX

Old 04-03-2015, 08:27 AM

Received 67 Likes on 48 Posts
Default 90 Honda CRX

My neighbor asked me if im interested in taking his son's honda crx.... His son has been in jail for the last 16 years and is serving another 15 years. My neighbor is moving into an assisted living center in another state where his daughter lives. He's selling everything and is in the process of moving.

Anyway, the car is free but i wouldnt know what to do with it. It has no papers and tags are 11 years old. I helped him move this car 8 years ago and its sat there and has never been moved since. Didnt run at that time and its safe to assume the engine is toast. The thing has been exposed to the elements and im afraid it will be more work than its worth but at the same time i think it would be a fun project. I had a swapped b18 in a 92 hatch and that was a ton of fun but i can see this being a lot more challenging.

What would u guys do??
Old 04-03-2015, 09:03 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by blueprint
...The thing has been exposed to the elements and im afraid it will be more work than its worth but at the same time i think it would be a fun project. ..

What would u guys do??
As a former owner of a '91 CRX, it would depend for me on the level of rot. If it's too far gone, not much you can do that's worth it, IMO. If it's repairable, I'd love to be in your shoes.
Old 04-03-2015, 09:13 AM

Received 613 Likes on 428 Posts

Originally Posted by Kamron
Originally Posted by blueprint' timestamp='1428078429' post='23565461
...The thing has been exposed to the elements and im afraid it will be more work than its worth but at the same time i think it would be a fun project. ..

What would u guys do??
As a former owner of a '91 CRX, it would depend for me on the level of rot. If it's too far gone, not much you can do that's worth it, IMO. If it's repairable, I'd love to be in your shoes.
He's in SoCal - rot hardly exist, much less rain... How bad is the exposure the the elements? My guess is it's just surface and that the frame and suspension points etc. etc. Should be fine. SoCal residents don't really understand "exposure" to the elements, unless what he's describing is his foot going through the floor... I've seen that on E30s from the midwest.

OP, i'd offer your neighbor some sort of cash as a courtesy and grab the car (assuming you have somewhere to put it).

Worst case scenario, you put it up on TrackHQ as a rolling shell for someone to turn into a track-rat. GL
Old 04-03-2015, 09:15 AM

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Not sure about your state, but in texas no Title means sh*t load of money and bullsh*t. I'd help him post up on craigslist and let someone else deal with it.
Old 04-03-2015, 09:55 AM
Site Moderator
Super Moderator

Received 355 Likes on 308 Posts

Look into what it takes to get a new title and what you can do in the mean time. Bill of sale is all you need here in WA and you can get a new title. As for the rot if it is a pretty basic CRX that little motor is probably still good you will want to empty the fuel and change all the fluids, new plugs, maybe new spark plug wire and distributor cap and new battery. New air filter as well. In Cali it really shouldn't have much rot its probably just dirty. These little things are pretty bullet proof if you do the little bit of maintenance. Worst case you could part it out or donate it for tax deduction etc. I would suggest you do a bill of sale for $5 or something since sometimes you get hit with a gift tax if it is free.
Old 04-03-2015, 11:26 AM

I'll take pictures tonight... From what little i can see it definitely has rust and lots of it... Particuarly the brake, wheels, suspension components... Panels also have rust and the front driver side fender is in bad shape... Passenger head light is missing and the front hood is lifted from what looks like a minor collision.

Again free but i think the damage and to revive it would end up costing more than just buying one that runs.
Old 04-03-2015, 01:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you do decide to take the car here's how to get it registered without the title:

http://oppositelock.jalopnik.com/how...tle-1478115348

It's a long read but the bottom line is join AAA and let them deal with the DMV. AAA can do a lot of DMV functions and they're more intelligent and willing to help than any government employee.
Old 04-03-2015, 01:35 PM

Received 121 Likes on 96 Posts

Nothing is free... Could be the most expensive CRX by the time you are done. Don't let the tail wag the dog in your decision.
Old 04-03-2015, 05:02 PM

Received 357 Likes on 289 Posts

sounds like a fun project. good crx bodies without rot are like hen's teeth. Mechanical stuff is easy to fix.

b16b, LSD, suspension. giddyup!

darcy
Old 04-03-2015, 07:07 PM

I opted to decline his offer... I dont have the time to really involve myself in this and i can see it costing me more than im comfortable spending.

He will donate it to his church.

Quick Reply: 90 Honda CRX