Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

9 hot cars at the Detroit show

Old 01-10-2006, 11:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Camero is a home run (did I just say that?) The Chrystler Imperial officially marks the point where they are believing their own bullshit. It is the prefect fake-Rolls for the broke rapper who wears a fake Rolex.
Old 01-10-2006, 11:47 AM

how did this not make the list:
http://rotarynews.com/node/view/758

story here:
http://rotarynews.com/node/view/760

The Mazda Kabura was easily my show favorite.
Old 01-10-2006, 12:21 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 438 Likes on 308 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. WOT,Jan 10 2006, 02:25 PM
Camero is a home run (did I just say that?)
I still think that people are overhyping this car. It looks ok, it will have a big engine blah blah. But you have new retro muscle with Charger, Challenger, Mustang, now Camaro, throw in a couple other cars with big V8's stuffed in them.

Sure there is a market for these cars, but now you have a whole bunch of cars competing for the same audience that want to re-live their 70's muscle car days, that audience has limits and the cars are plentiful. Throw in the fact that the allure gets watered down when thousands of them in V6 trim clutter rental cars lots and make them appear less exclusive and sporty and that many who think they are cool are 16 and can't afford them. Finally, total up the number of people (myself included) that think all cars from the 70's were giant pieces of crap and don't want anything remotely resembling them and "home run" is not a given.

Sure they will have waiting lists when new, but how long until they are running rebates on them? And how long before GM announces a new retro NOVA! with a big V8 in it? Innovation is not always revisiting the 60's and 70's.
Old 01-10-2006, 12:23 PM
Member (Premium)

By the way, that camry is the most boring of the bunch. I bet it sells the most.
Old 01-10-2006, 12:32 PM

Received 1,566 Likes on 1,437 Posts

Take the strange haunches off the Imperial's rear wheels; and you got me.
Old 01-10-2006, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by vader1,Jan 10 2006, 04:23 PM
By the way, that camry is the most boring of the bunch. I bet it sells the most.
You are comparing two totally separate car categories. You should be comparing the pony cars to the Solara, not Camry.
I really don't see why people don't like the idea of more rear wheel drive, big power, fun, good looking cars around?
Old 01-10-2006, 01:05 PM
Member (Premium)

Originally Posted by Wdwrd_cruzr,Jan 10 2006, 03:43 PM
I really don't see why people don't like the idea of more rear wheel drive, big power, fun, good looking cars around?
I don't actually. But taken in the general context of half the threads on this section (why gm has problems) it seems as though GM will have a decent seller in a small segment. It would be nice if some attention was paid to high quality in a broad segment like the Camry that has made Toyota so profitable.

Corvette great, Solstice great, Camaro, sure. When they make cars that has the average family of four thinking "Man I really want a Grand Prix! or Impala! or Buick Century!" instead of thinking Accord, Camry or Maxima, that's when I would use the term "home run".

It might be different in Minnesota because of the crappy weather, but if I sit on a bridge and take any 100 cars that go down the freeway, maybe 2 are high power rear wheel drive. Probably 35-50% are small to midsize four door "sensible" cars. I welcome good looking sporty cars, the sensible ones are boring they just sell at high volume. Camaro is not a home run, maybe a double at best.
Old 01-10-2006, 01:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by j-man8,Jan 10 2006, 08:47 PM
how did this not make the list:
http://rotarynews.com/node/view/758

story here:
http://rotarynews.com/node/view/760

The Mazda Kabura was easily my show favorite.
Why?? Not being a jack-ass, but what's so cool about it? it kind of looks like new eclipse meets RX-8.
Old 01-10-2006, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by Dr. WOT,Jan 10 2006, 03:25 PM
The Chrystler Imperial officially marks the point where they are believing their own bullshit. It is the prefect fake-Rolls for the broke rapper who wears a fake Rolex.
I thought the same thing. It's alot like that Kia Amanti that takes bits and pieces of other well known luxury cars and puts it all together.

I think it looks craptastic. Like it was a nice car but some idiot put a fake Rolls body kit on it.
Old 01-10-2006, 03:09 PM

The hottest car on that list is: CAMRY! That thing will take Camry into the next realm, which is the best-selling car in the world (if it isn't already). Considering what the Camry is meant to be, that new one is very good-looking!

Quick Reply: 9 hot cars at the Detroit show