Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

The 86 twins might actually get what we want...

Old 01-19-2020, 01:54 PM

Received 3,774 Likes on 2,661 Posts

Originally Posted by rob-2
but you’d have to tune it to get the power it should come with from the factory. Lame.
260 hp and 260 torque (est) in that car would still feel fantastic to me, and with the twin-scroll turbos they are now using turbo lag is almost non-existent down low. You could tune it for 300+ hp if one really wanted but still fine if you don't. In my possession I'd leave it relatively simple - intake and exhaust mods ? That level of power in my car with higher drivetrain loss and higher weight is still very satisfying, it leaves me wanting for nothing. Those who want more power will have options to do so given how the aftermarket responds quickly these days.
The following users liked this post:
vader1 (01-21-2020)
Old 01-19-2020, 03:20 PM

Received 410 Likes on 305 Posts

Great to read. I found about this probably 6 months ago but it’s nice to see things are becoming more concrete.

They can de-tune the FA 2.4L DIT all they want. One of the tuners purchased an Ascent and they were making 500 reliable whp out of the motor. This next 86 will be tuners dream and for people that like to mod, a gem. I’m not saying it will be a Cayman but for the dollar the much better buy. Hopefully Toyo continues to add their port injection to the Subaru motor.

I have to wait on the new STi as well. Same people are reporting that it’s going to be a coupe like the 22B. I can’t believe I’m going to have 2-3 choices for my next car. Like Don I will sit on the fence the first 2 production years and watch for recalls and issues to get sorted out.
zeroptzero (01-19-2020)
Old 01-19-2020, 10:43 PM

Received 522 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by TommyDeVito
Great to read. I found about this probably 6 months ago but it’s nice to see things are becoming more concrete.

They can de-tune the FA 2.4L DIT all they want. One of the tuners purchased an Ascent and they were making 500 reliable whp out of the motor. This next 86 will be tuners dream and for people that like to mod, a gem. I’m not saying it will be a Cayman but for the dollar the much better buy. Hopefully Toyo continues to add their port injection to the Subaru motor.

I have to wait on the new STi as well. Same people are reporting that it’s going to be a coupe like the 22B. I can’t believe I’m going to have 2-3 choices for my next car. Like Don I will sit on the fence the first 2 production years and watch for recalls and issues to get sorted out.
In the meantime I'm gonna enjoy my stang lol.
Old 01-20-2020, 12:16 PM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by zeroptzero
260 hp and 260 torque (est) in that car would still feel fantastic to me, and with the twin-scroll turbos they are now using turbo lag is almost non-existent down low. You could tune it for 300+ hp if one really wanted but still fine if you don't. In my possession I'd leave it relatively simple - intake and exhaust mods ? That level of power in my car with higher drivetrain loss and higher weight is still very satisfying, it leaves me wanting for nothing. Those who want more power will have options to do so given how the aftermarket responds quickly these days.
it’s not progress. But if it floats your boat enjoy. I’m not into modifying cars anymore. I just want them built right but the eng team.
Old 01-20-2020, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by TheDonEffect
In the meantime I'm gonna enjoy my stang lol.
Such a big difference between the 86 twins and the Mustang, I could never consider them in the same light as they seem so far apart from each other. The Mustang seems to check all of the right boxes though, leaving not much more to want in comparison to the 86s. Good choice on the Mustang, it would be good to have one of each though lol.
Old 01-20-2020, 02:04 PM

it’s not progress. But if it floats your boat enjoy. I’m not into modifying cars anymore. I just want them built right but the eng team.
Me too.
Old 01-20-2020, 04:24 PM

Received 522 Likes on 400 Posts

I'm not really into it as much either. 260 seems enough for me tbh, I'd just do personalization mods for this car and be happy.

Thing that floats my boat about this car is the smaller, nimbler nature of the car. Having had a vette and two s550s, and having had an s2k and brz, that nimbleness really is discernible and I do miss it. And now it has power where I dont have to justify or make excuses for. Even my underpowered regular mustang has more than enough power for me. I mean sure maybe when you get to hellcat levels and beyond, the sheer brutality makes it fun, but I've had cars now ranging from 260 to 500+, I know 260 in a car significantly under 3000lbs will be more than enough for me.
The following 2 users liked this post by TheDonEffect:
WolfpackS2k (01-23-2020), zeroptzero (01-20-2020)
Old 01-20-2020, 04:29 PM

I just read an article that the global auto industry has slipped into recession. Car companies get real skittish about sports car development when world sales are on the decline. Lets hope this platform doesn't get the axe before it enters the next gen. Honda was famous for doing that to their best cars, hopefully with these two companies being in partnership they will have more resources to keep the investment going.
Old 01-21-2020, 08:33 AM

Received 100 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDonEffect
Not if it weighs well south of 3000lbs. This isnt meant for the dig or roll guys, theres plenty of options for them.

The FA20 in the current 86s is neither fast or charismatic, so it doesn't inspire fun. The chassis is just that sweet that people forgave a glaring downer. I mean seriously, this thing cant pass a base 3 series or a minivan.
That's exactly how I feel. It wasn't just that it didn't have enough power, it's that the engine had no endearing character. The power/weight and redline are similar to the '19+ ND Miata, which isn't that bad given the size/price/mission of the car, but the engine just doesn't 'encourage revving it out.

My friend left me his BRZ for a week while I had my S2000. I only drove it to work twice. I actually loved the handling, steering, shifter, sense of light weight, really everything about how it drove - except the engine. It was that bad where I just had very little desire to take it out.

260hp/260tq would give it ~11hp/L which is enough to make things interesting.
Old 01-21-2020, 10:09 AM

Received 140 Likes on 114 Posts

I've always maintained that the 200hp in the Twins would have been perfectly acceptable if only the engine had more character to it. I have not driven a modified one so cannot comment on a tuned car but from the factory the FA20 is just disappointingly BLAH. The old 4AGE did not make a lot of power either but it loved to rev and sounded absolutely fantastic from the factory.

I feel like the FA series are all horribly tuned from the factory. The FA in the Twins, the FA20DIT in the WRX, the FA24DIT in the Ascent/Legacy all seem to have hesitation issues of some sort. I realize you can tune them pretty easily to improve this so why Subaru ships them out with such s#!++y tunes is a mystery to me.

If they must put in a FA I hope they go with the FA20DIT instead and let the car be able to rev out to 7k at least. 6000rpm rev limit of the in the Ascent is NOT race car, lol.
JamesD89 (01-21-2020)

Quick Reply: The 86 twins might actually get what we want...