Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

The 86 twins might actually get what we want...

Old 01-18-2020, 11:27 PM

Received 522 Likes on 400 Posts
Default The 86 twins might actually get what we want...

https://www.motortrend.com/news/next-toyota-86-subaru-brz-new-name-details/

The rumor mill is spinning hard these past few days saying the 86s are finally going to get a boost... in the form of a 2.4l turbo. That's 260hp. Looks to be on a new platform too, so looks like a ground up new car. I hope they keep the essence that made the 86 good, and fixing the biggest issue with the car, the lackluster engine. But I do wonder what the price is going to be, I cant imagine them keeping the same price point but I guess they would sorta have to because the pony car i4 turbo cars are pretty cheap.

Thoughts?
Old 01-19-2020, 03:32 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,235 Likes on 1,079 Posts

Can't imagine much of a price increase since that engine is already in cars like the Legacy replacing the 256HP H6 3.6R engine in 2020

-- Chuck.

Old 01-19-2020, 04:41 AM

Received 3,774 Likes on 2,661 Posts

Nice to see, I really like those cars, I always thought they did a great job bringing them to market, something Honda couldn't or wouldn't do at the time they were developed. I like everything about the current models, great interior, exterior styling is decent, the RWD layout, braking and suspension work well. The only shortfall if there was one was the engine. This new turbo would make them almost perfect IMO. I wonder what they will do with the WRX platform with this car now making almost the same power as the WRX, they will need to boost that power somewhat. I suspect the WRX will get the 2.4l motor too.
Old 01-19-2020, 04:46 AM

Received 77 Likes on 69 Posts

Please dear god don’t nix the manual option. That in my opinion was a huge downfall in the new Supra.
The power plant and interior quality issues were too easy not to ignore if and when they came out with the second gen. Absent both of those I likely would have purchased a BRZ two years ago when I started hunting for my S2k.

With the pool of quality s2000s that are lower mileage now diminishing and values drifting higher I see the 86 as a natural option for folks who would have otherwise purchased a used S2K.

The 86 with a base hp of 260 would be a really fun car. I’ll give it a could years to work out some first year gremlins then I’d be interested in having one of these as a potential daily.

Old 01-19-2020, 06:31 AM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

Seems like not enough and too late if you ask me. It should be 300hp + from the factory with a manual. They've had this in the outdated STI for a decade. I wonder if the people at subaru know their customers?
Old 01-19-2020, 06:39 AM

Received 77 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by rob-2
Seems like not enough and too late if you ask me. It should be 300hp + from the factory with a manual. They've had this in the outdated STI for a decade. I wonder if the people at subaru know their customers?
but a couple bolt one and a tune will hit 300.. so at least there’s that
Old 01-19-2020, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by Tsxtx
but a couple bolt one and a tune will hit 300.. so at least there’s that
Many of the BRZ drivers in my area seem similar to the Honda owners of the 90's, just younger. Most are younger with a high percentage of them having modified cars. These are customers Honda could have had, but they now drive Subaru's and Toyotas. For some reason I don't see many of the Toyota versions in my area, they are almost all Subaru's. The new owners will be able to modify their turbo cars to boost power close to 300, if they want to.

I think Subaru knows who their customers are, they are younger drivers who want affordable performance cars , cars they can modify, and guess what, those drivers will move up to buy other Subaru vehicles as they age. This is what Honda should have done 10 years ago.

For anyone leaving an S2000 for any reason, I think this is a nice option and a good replacement vehicle. I'm not saying it is the same or better than an S2000, but it would be a good replacement. I'd love to have one as a spare car. Nice interior, good handling, good braking, RWD, manual tranny , 2 rear seats (albeit tiny, lol), and a trunk. I prefer a hard roof in place of a convertible, and you can get a sunroof if you need it opened up a bit. The model I seen in my Subaru dealership with Brembo brakes, and alcantara interior looked great. The interior was plain but driver focused and the alcantara parts were nice touches.

A turbo motor is the missing link that has been badly needed. I like many of the mods I see done to the Subaru BRZ owners in my area, and they all wave to me as I drive past them with my WRX, nice community from what I see.
Old 01-19-2020, 08:59 AM

Received 522 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by rob-2
Not if it weighs well south of 3000lbs. This isnt meant for the dig or roll guys, theres plenty of options for them.

The FA20 in the current 86s is neither fast or charismatic, so it doesn't inspire fun. The chassis is just that sweet that people forgave a glaring downer. I mean seriously, this thing cant pass a base 3 series or a minivan. This boost will finally give it the right credentials to really separate from the average car, and just think of the potential. Making 350hp in that car would need no explanations anymore, and I'm sure will be a track day darling. Enthusiasts interested in cars like these want something they could be proud of, something that fuels a sort of underdog spirit.

Yeah, this could seriously be my next car provided I actually want to part with my mustang. I'd have to wait for the hyoe to die down and all the kinks worked out.
The following 3 users liked this post by TheDonEffect:
Bullwings (01-19-2020), WolfpackS2k (01-20-2020), zeroptzero (01-19-2020)
Old 01-19-2020, 11:06 AM

I assume they will need to keep it less expensive than the WRX, it has always been a very affordable sports car and good bang for the buck.
Old 01-19-2020, 01:37 PM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDonEffect
Not if it weighs well south of 3000lbs. This isnt meant for the dig or roll guys, theres plenty of options for them.

The FA20 in the current 86s is neither fast or charismatic, so it doesn't inspire fun. The chassis is just that sweet that people forgave a glaring downer. I mean seriously, this thing cant pass a base 3 series or a minivan. This boost will finally give it the right credentials to really separate from the average car, and just think of the potential. Making 350hp in that car would need no explanations anymore, and I'm sure will be a track day darling. Enthusiasts interested in cars like these want something they could be proud of, something that fuels a sort of underdog spirit.

Yeah, this could seriously be my next car provided I actually want to part with my mustang. I'd have to wait for the hyoe to die down and all the kinks worked out.
but you’d have to tune it to get the power it should come with from the factory. Lame.

Quick Reply: The 86 twins might actually get what we want...