Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

81 Porsche 911SC vs S2k

Old 01-27-2005, 08:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 81 Porsche 911SC vs S2k

I've been considering an s2k for a while and may be selling the 911SC if I purchase one to put the dinero down on the s2k. The 911 is a very bare bones sports car with great feed back and good range on power. the torque is already at 100 ftlbs at idle on up to 230 ft lbs(modded-stock is 220). Flat engines have great torque. The car weighs about 2552 lbs from the factory with about 220 hp (mods added about 22hp) on an 81 sc and I've been trimming off some weight.
Has anyone gone from the 80's 911 to an S2k? This car is paid off for me but, I'd like to replace it with a car that has more modern heat& a/c since I am not going for a dedicated race car at this time. Also I need to replace it with something open air to get the same top down effect and mainly something with the same driving experience. My daily driver is a 91 crx si and I also have a honda sport bike so I really have always been impressed with honda. I'm afraid the missing torque will bother me as well as the added weight.
I was wondering if anyone else had changed from an early 911 to an s2k?
Old 01-27-2005, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by hkspwrsche,Jan 27 2005, 11:05 AM
I've been considering an s2k for a while and may be selling the 911SC if I purchase one to put the dinero down on the s2k. The 911 is a very bare bones sports car with great feed back and good range on power. the torque is already at 100 ftlbs at idle on up to 230 ft lbs(modded-stock is 220). Flat engines have great torque. The car weighs about 2552 lbs from the factory with about 220 hp (mods added about 22hp) on an 81 sc and I've been trimming off some weight.
Has anyone gone from the 80's 911 to an S2k? This car is paid off for me but, I'd like to replace it with a car that has more modern heat& a/c since I am not going for a dedicated race car at this time. Also I need to replace it with something open air to get the same top down effect and mainly something with the same driving experience. My daily driver is a 91 crx si and I also have a honda sport bike so I really have always been impressed with honda. I'm afraid the missing torque will bother me as well as the added weight.
I was wondering if anyone else had changed from an early 911 to an s2k?
As far as I'm concerned, you're talking apples vs oranges here.

The S2000 is a great little car for what it is but as you point out, it's heavier than what you've got and makes less power than what you've got, especially in the low to mid range torque area, so I have a hard time believing that you'll be happy with the S2000, at least from a performance point of view.

The S2000 handles very well. I don't have the experience to say whether it's equal to or better than your 911 or not although I'd expect that if it is in the same league, the difference won't be much. Also, considering the numbers you quote, I can't see the S2000 (at least a stock one) beginning to stay with your 911 in a straight line.

This is an S2000 forum. The vast majority of us here are heavily biased toward the S2000. IMO, it will serve you well but "you" have to remember that this isn't a car with lots of low end grunt and you'll have to drive it with that in mind if you want it to perform.

Best of luck in your decision!

Drive Safe,
Steve R.
Old 01-27-2005, 08:23 AM

Received 215 Likes on 148 Posts

Hi,

No 911 owner here, but I did go from a 944T to a S2k, and I have exp in 911's. I thik the biggest change you will see is the addition of a warranty, airbags, and a CD player. Normal maint. expenses will drop dramatically.

The cars are really similar, except the Porsche uses heavier mechanicals and everything about the Porsche feels purposeful. Compared to the 911, the S feels a lot less clunky - I know, the 911 is so great, but the S just feels lighter in every way without feeling flimsy. The pedal pressure is lighter, the shifts are quicker and require less effort, etc. Its really remarkable.

Driving wise, both cars will misbehave if you don't pay them proper attention, but both will offer you great rewards for good driving. The 911 is a lot more claustrophobic than the S, with its high dash and window sills. The S has a lower dash and sills, plus, the S is a convertible, so it really opens up when you want to.

The torque will be missed, but not on the track, only from the seat of your pants. Its a different driving dynamic, and you'll have to get used to the rough characteristics of a 4-banger. Its not something you'll regret imo.
Old 01-27-2005, 08:28 AM

I've had a 76 911S with a 2.7, a 1973 RS Clone with a 2.4 and my Dad had an 85 Carrera. The S2000 is a great all around car, I think the power is comparable, the only thing I think the Porsche is better with is handleing. My Dad and I have autox'd all the cars and the Porsche is a more raw, seat of your pants performer, as I feel the Honda isn't as tight. But as for all around I think the Honda wins: ac, everythings new and works, a warranty...

-Alex
Old 01-27-2005, 09:00 AM
Former Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You'd be happier with a NSX if that is in your budget, but I don't think you'd be totally disappointed with a S2000.

There are a few modifications that can make the S2000 stronger than that Porsche, but you're looking at some big $$$ to get there.
Old 01-27-2005, 09:02 AM

This was discussed on the porsche forums and everyone said to keep the 911 since I have a daily driver already...
But, Where the 911 has the raw race feeling is also where it's lacking in modern amenities...I will mention that there are a few things that the car seems to do less than well. The trans shifts slower than a honda even though the 911 trans is durable...it's slow. The heat is marginal a/c has been removed on mine (since it's not efficient anyway and weighs so much) and the top off driving works until it gets really hot and when it's really cold it takes too long to heat the cabin up. Since I'm in Va I get about 10 months that I can drive it still except the coldest and the hotest months.... then I'm back in the crx si.
Old 01-27-2005, 09:07 AM
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by hkspwrsche,Jan 27 2005, 01:02 PM
Since I'm in Va
Which part?
Old 01-27-2005, 09:08 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

I have never owned a 911 but I did drive a 1970 914-6 as a daily driver for 17 years. The Honda is several decades newer and quite a bit more car overall. No way to compare the technologies....let us know what you decide.
Old 01-27-2005, 10:07 AM

in richmond
Old 01-27-2005, 10:10 AM
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by hkspwrsche,Jan 27 2005, 02:07 PM
in richmond
In that case - forget the Porsche, buy the S2000 and get on over to the Mid-A

Quick Reply: 81 Porsche 911SC vs S2k