Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

7:15 Ring Time, can it be done?

Old 05-09-2007, 04:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Penforhire,May 9 2007, 05:02 PM
I suspect Heinricy could match Jan's time in a vette. Didn't he set the C5 Z06 time at 7:56?
I don't know if he did the C5Z06 time or not but there is no doubt that Heinricy is one fast mofo.
Old 05-09-2007, 06:23 PM

Received 81 Likes on 31 Posts

The value of Sport Auto's lap times is consistency. Horst Von Saurma sets the times taking driving variance out of the equation. He knows the N'ring like the back of his hand and set a lap time of 7:18 in a Doonkervoort. I don't think many people on earth have lapped so quickly.
Old 05-09-2007, 06:50 PM

Using the same driver every time on a track that is very familiar (such at TG's Stig) has pros and cons. Certainly it means the driver can concentrate on the potential of the car because said driver doesn't have to worry about learning the details of the track. On the other hand said driver may not be comfortable with the car. A driver familiar with a given car can push just a bit harder than would be possible in a car with which the driver wasn't familiar. The difference may not be huge but certainly top flight drivers have a certain preferred driving style. Some cars will naturally or by virtue of their setup suit a certain style better than others. In a sense, even same track, same driver comparisons may not be conclusive. Then again, this isn't racing, it's bench racing so all is fair
Old 05-09-2007, 07:25 PM

Received 81 Likes on 31 Posts

I want to know how the Z06 compares with other cars driven by the same driver. This isn't racing. It's not about manufacturer pride or measuring the length of one's member, it's about useful information. I can't wait to see the Sport Auto numbers.
Old 05-09-2007, 07:33 PM

If it can do a 7:15 stock, they will sell A LOT of cars at the price point I've heard floating around.

That said, I'd be willing to bet it won't do that.
Old 05-09-2007, 08:10 PM

NOW HEAR THIS PEOPLE
THERE IS NO FECKING WAY The new GTR WILL LAP THE RING AT 7:15
Old 05-09-2007, 08:59 PM

Do you doubt GM's claim?

Of course I doubt it. Why would you believe something said by someone payed by the company to drive their car? They are payed to say these things.

Also the 7:42.9 claim may be correct but do can you (or anyone) confirm that:
1. This Z06 was 100% stock?
2. That is was on OEM tyres?
3. That is had no suspension modifications?
4. That the lap-time was a full lap, and not just BTG lap (which is good 20sec quicker)?

It's not my responsiblity to 'prove' that this was the case, but knowing the manufacturers I'd say that this Z06 was a modified, lailor made Z06 for N'ring. GM would not be the 1st manufacturer to do so.

What I'm interested is what lap time a stock C6 Z06 will do around a full length N'ring. For that to be set/verified you need indenendent source.

When sports auto gets a driver as good as Jan

As Waltk88 mentioned just above. SportsAuto have one of the best/quickest drivers for Nurburgirng. Horst Von Surma is an ex race car driver, and is now an expert at Nurburgring. Probably noone else there who has (and does) more laps there.

Also he drove the other cars like 911TT, GT3, Zonda, Ford GT,Galardo, F430 (and 100s of others) and extracted the now publicised N'ring times. Whatever time he gets out of the Z06 will then be comparable with all these other cars/times as we'll know that there was the same driver, that the car was stock, that it was a full lap of N'ring, and also that this would be pretty close to what is possible from the car (as is).

The car is capable of it...

Said who? you? GM? Well, I'll wait for some reputable independent source to tell me what it's capable of.
Old 05-09-2007, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by DavidM,May 9 2007, 10:59 PM
Do you doubt GM's claim?

Of course I doubt it. Why would you believe something said by someone payed by the company to drive their car? They are payed to say these things.

Also the 7:42.9 claim may be correct but do can you (or anyone) confirm that:
1. This Z06 was 100% stock?
2. That is was on OEM tyres?
3. That is had no suspension modifications?
4. That the lap-time was a full lap, and not just BTG lap (which is good 20sec quicker)?

It's not my responsiblity to 'prove' that this was the case, but knowing the manufacturers I'd say that this Z06 was a modified, lailor made Z06 for N'ring. GM would not be the 1st manufacturer to do so.

What I'm interested is what lap time a stock C6 Z06 will do around a full length N'ring. For that to be set/verified you need indenendent source.

When sports auto gets a driver as good as Jan

As Waltk88 mentioned just above. SportsAuto have one of the best/quickest drivers for Nurburgirng. Horst Von Surma is an ex race car driver, and is now an expert at Nurburgring. Probably noone else there who has (and does) more laps there.

Also he drove the other cars like 911TT, GT3, Zonda, Ford GT,Galardo, F430 (and 100s of others) and extracted the now publicised N'ring times. Whatever time he gets out of the Z06 will then be comparable with all these other cars/times as we'll know that there was the same driver, that the car was stock, that it was a full lap of N'ring, and also that this would be pretty close to what is possible from the car (as is).

The car is capable of it...

Said who? you? GM? Well, I'll wait for some reputable independent source to tell me what it's capable of.
It was not 100% stock, it had race seats and harnesses.
You would have to be an idiot to drive a car that fast on that track without a HANS device.
If you ever get a chance to ride in or drive the C6Z06 on a racetrack, you would not be so quick to dismiss GM's numbers. The Z06 is a rocket and makes my standard C6 feel slow. BTW a standard C6 ran 7:59 do you doubt that too?
What about the C5 Z06 at 7: 56, do you doubt that as well? There is no question in my mind that the C6 Z06 is easily 13+ seconds faster than either the C5 or C6 around a track like the Nring.
Do you doubt the claims by Porsche? Every car mag that has tested both has the lap times very,very close between the two. Anyone who thinks the C6Z06 7:42.9 is a GM conspiracy is just a hater.
Link

Link

Link

Link

BACK OT
The GTR will not even sniff 7:40
Old 05-09-2007, 11:03 PM

Do you doubt the claims by Porsche?

Of course I do. I explained why before, I don't put much value in what comes out of the marketing machine. Though, Porsche have a big reputation to protect, so their 'claims' are not too far off usually (as proven/validated). Still, until someone valides them, they are nothing but 'claims'.

It was not 100% stock, it had race seats and harnesses.

And who knows what else it had done ... you're just going by what random people have said here and there. Could have had more power, could have had slicks, could have had suspension mods, and could have been BTG lap (and not full lap). Unless some reputable source is willling to state that this was the case, and put they name/reputation on line by saying that, then it's just one of many claims being made by manufacturers.

You would have to be an idiot to drive a car that fast on that track without a HANS device.

Radical SR8 was driven to 6:55 without HANS. I don't think many test-drivers / testers wear HANS at N'ring. You don't even have to wear a helmet there. Though, I don't really care what the driver wore, but whether the car was stock, whether it was the full lap, and how the time was measured/clocked.

BTW a standard C6 ran 7:59 do you doubt that too?

Of course I do as it was again claimed by a GM test driver Dave Hill. Again, there's no proof that this time was ever achieved, or that the car was stock, or that it was a full lap. So it's nothing more than a 'claim' again.

The C06 time that I take value in is the 8:15 time achieved by an independent source.

What about the C5 Z06 at 7:56, do you doubt that as well?

Yet another claim by GM test-driver (Dave Hill), so I look at it at nothing more than marketing hype. As I said before, he might or might have not managed that time, but we have no idea what was done to the car, how far/close to stock it was, and that it was the full lap.

There is no question in my mind that the C6 Z06 is easily 13+ seconds faster than either the C5 or C6 around a track like the Nring.

Maybe it is, maybe it's not. We'll find out in a month what the C6 Z06 can do there, and that will either give validity to GM's claims, or show them for 'tall tales'.

I got no issue either way, I'm just interested to know how quick it is there.

btw, there's never a guarantee that the newer model will be quicker there. Take a new 911 TT (ie. 997) - it's about on par with the old 911 TT (ie. 996) in terms of N'ring time.

ps. Just in case it's not clear I'm not arguing specific times here, just that some are mere 'claims' and some are validated/proven by independent source.
Old 05-10-2007, 03:01 AM

DavidM,
I don't see why you would be so quick to dismiss GM's claims. In comparison to other Z06 track comparison the number seems very likely based on how well the car has done compared to other cars such as the 911T. Also, GM doesn't have a history of BS numbers like this. Note that when the SAE clamped down on HP testing standards GM's motors were generally shown to be under, not over rated. Given that the Z06 was driven by a very skilled driver I have no doubt the number was achieved honestly.

Quick Reply: 7:15 Ring Time, can it be done?