Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

7:15 Ring Time, can it be done?

Old 05-08-2007, 06:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DavidM,May 7 2007, 10:57 PM
7:15 Ring Time, can it be done?

Not by a the GTR as it will comes out of the factory. Afterall, look at it this way, Carrera GT, is good 25% lighter, has 40% more power, and was on sticky (ie. R-spec tyres) when it set the tims around 7:30.

New 911TT is lighter and more powerfull and that just returned a time of 7:50 (on R-spec tyres).

If the GTR specs floating aorund are correct, then they shoujld be happy with a sub-8 min time.

The Old GTR held that title for many years, and it's not like it didn't exist amongst some high powered exotics as well.

It's funny how far false propaganda gets. Nissan did a really good marketing / brainwash job then.

Truth is that the old GTR, that 'held the title' was a ringer. There was an expose on that by a few pro drivers / magazines, but I guess the Nissan 'claim' has still stuck.

The GTR that Nissan used to set this record-braking time was a race-prepped GTR with slicks, a lot more power, and modified suspension (among other things). The production R32 GTR's (ie. as it came from the dealer) best time was somewhere around 8:35. That is a very good time, but long way off what Porsche GT3 was doing those days ie. 7:59.
What's with all the conspiracy theory?

Dirk Schoymans from Autocar magazine ran the 7:59 time in 1997 with an R33, not R32. And the only talk of extensive modifications comes from mostly speculation on forums. I'd like to see this expose article.

It's not like that time has not been backed up, you can witness an R33 (stock) run a 8:01 Ring time stock, by Best Motoring, great vid.

Watch it here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQ--ciht0C0
Old 05-08-2007, 06:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm guessing it's probably more like 7:50 as well. There will be a LOT of people pre-ordering this car if in fact it did run a 7:15.
Old 05-08-2007, 06:49 AM

Received 427 Likes on 238 Posts

7:15 is only possible with the GTR if it's running full race slicks, best brakes, 800hp (highly modded engine) and some weight savings.

I agree with the others that the stock GTR will probably be around 7:50 or so which is still damn fast.
Old 05-08-2007, 07:12 AM

I was thinking it might do 7:45-ish if was THAT special but nothing so extreme. This autoexpress statement is getting some exposure though.
Old 05-08-2007, 07:13 AM

What's with all the conspiracy theory?

It does not seem like theory as it's supported by overwhelming evidence ... like that noone else has manged to get anywhere close to that 'claimed' time. Various publications, with pro drivers, and 'ring masters' managed the best time of 8:28.1 with a stock R32 GTR (as far as I know). This time was set by Autocar mag with 3 'ring masters' trying to get close to the 7:59 time claimed by Nissan. Other publications were in the 8:30 range if I remember correctly.

Dirk Schoymans from Autocar magazine ran the 7:59 time in 1997 with an R33, not R32.

I was refering to R32 GTR which was claimed (by Nissan) to be the 1st production car to return sub 8min lap time at N'ning (ie. 7:59). This is the car/time that is now knows as the 'record holder' of that time and the 1st sub 8min car there.

R33 - And the only talk of extensive modifications comes from mostly speculation on forums. I'd like to see this expose article.

I've heard/read this as well, but not just in the forums, but also by magazines. Some of them have Dirk Schoymans saying that the car was modified. Not sure what is true though here, as I'm not sure if anyone else (reputable) managed to match the lciamed time for R33.

It's not like that time has not been backed up, you can witness an R33 (stock) run a 8:01 Ring time stock, by Best Motoring, great vid.

That's for the clip, very enjoyable. Though, they did stop the clock before they finished the lap. I can only guess as how much longer to where the clock started, but it could have been 3 - 5 sec away. Still, low 8s there either way (which is awesome no matter how you look at it).

I have no idea about what specs/tyres the car was on ... do you? I did notice that you said it was stock ... just wondering how you know, as from that clip I could not tell.

btw, notice that even BM had the R32 time at 8:22 in this video you posted. Still a long way off the 7:59 claim by Nissan.
Old 05-08-2007, 07:31 AM

Received 81 Likes on 31 Posts

The autoexpress guy probably misheard "seven fifty" as "seven fifteen". That's still a respectable time, only a little off the 997 GT3.
Old 05-08-2007, 08:11 AM

As much of a Nissan fan I am, I gotta say pulling a 7:15 on the world's most popular - and perhaps most difficult - track is nigh on unrealistic for such a car. I would have to be in the car for the entire run, unofficial or otherwise, to believe a 7:15 time. As others have said, even the most exotic and capable cars the world's best makes have to offer are at least 13 full seconds behind that time.

If Nissan really is able to pull this off with a pretty heavy TTV6 car with AWD, they will have set a very serious engineering benchmark, and arguably have the best drivetrain and setup money can buy in any streetable car. I am skeptical, period.

Here's to hoping Nissan proves me wrong.
Old 05-08-2007, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by Slamnasty,May 8 2007, 08:11 AM
As much of a Nissan fan I am, I gotta say pulling a 7:15 on the world's most popular - and perhaps most difficult - track is nigh on unrealistic for such a car. I would have to be in the car for the entire run, unofficial or otherwise, to believe a 7:15 time. As others have said, even the most exotic and capable cars the world's best makes have to offer are at least 13 full seconds behind that time.

If Nissan really is able to pull this off with a pretty heavy TTV6 car with AWD, they will have set a very serious engineering benchmark, and arguably have the best drivetrain and setup money can buy in any streetable car. I am skeptical, period.

Here's to hoping Nissan proves me wrong.
You and I both know it would have to have north of 650HP (probably closer to the 800 QUIKAG posted) to do that and it doesn't so it's obviously not true. With the Hp it has now (450-500) it would need to lose at least 1200lbs to even get close to that time. That auto-express guy should kick his own ass for fueling such BS.

Now every stupid GTR board will start screaming about the rebirth of 'gawdzirra' again and this quote will last for 2 years even after it's disproven 100,000 times. I can make up stuff too...it's really easy.

When making insane claims you need insane evidence. One dumb article does not constitute such evidence.
Old 05-08-2007, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by s2kpdx01,May 8 2007, 09:19 AM
You and I both know it would have to have north of 650HP (probably closer to the 800 QUIKAG posted) to do that and it doesn't so it's obviously not true. With the Hp it has now (450-500) it would need to lose at least 1200lbs to even get close to that time. That auto-express guy should kick his own ass for fueling such BS.

Now every stupid GTR board will start screaming about the rebirth of 'gawdzirra' again and this quote will last for 2 years even after it's disproven 100,000 times. I can make up stuff too...it's really easy.

When making insane claims you need insane evidence. One dumb article does not constitute such evidence.
Um, I think I stated more than once I didn't believe they could do it. And I am untainted by AutoExpress. I had never seen the video in question, nor heard any of the hype surrounding the R32 track time dust-up. I'm not coming into this with a previous bias.
Old 05-08-2007, 10:08 AM

Received 148 Likes on 115 Posts

these guys can probably do 7:15 times

Quick Reply: 7:15 Ring Time, can it be done?